Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 07:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,680 times

Advertisements

I'm 16 and I've had my license for 8 months. I've never ever been pulled over before, and I have a clean driving record.
Today I was pulled over on Huron in Broomfield. I had just turned onto Huron (Speed Limit 45 mph) and was accelerating to the limit, but I didn't realize I was in a school zone. When I saw the flashing School Zone light I SLAMMED on my brakes to get my speed down. Then a cop on a motorcycle flew out of no where and busted me. He was unsympathetic.

I have a court summons and the ticket is currently at 6 points. I know it's possible I'll get my license taken away. I have a completely clean record, I'm in good standing in the community, and this is my first offense.

What are the odds that I'll be able to get my points reduced and either pay a fine or do community service?? I'm at a complete loss here.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 09:56 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
I don't know about what the courts are like in Broomfield, but my suggestion is to first of all talk to your parents. When my stepdaughter got a speeding ticket in a school zone at 16, it was required that her parents attend her court date. Don't try to lie to the court about them being out of town or anything; the court will find out the truth.

Secondly, when you go to court, be very respectful of the judge. Dress nicely and present your case in a clear manner. A clean record of 8 months is really a drop in the bucket, but at least you can safely say that this is your first offense. You say that you are in good standing in the community -- is there something you can back this up with? When you show up in court, ask to talk with the prosecuting attorney, who may be able to reduce the points in exchange for community service.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:30 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdddiv View Post
I'm 16 and I've had my license for 8 months. I've never ever been pulled over before, and I have a clean driving record.
Today I was pulled over on Huron in Broomfield. I had just turned onto Huron (Speed Limit 45 mph) and was accelerating to the limit, but I didn't realize I was in a school zone. When I saw the flashing School Zone light I SLAMMED on my brakes to get my speed down. Then a cop on a motorcycle flew out of no where and busted me. He was unsympathetic.

I have a court summons and the ticket is currently at 6 points. I know it's possible I'll get my license taken away. I have a completely clean record, I'm in good standing in the community, and this is my first offense.

What are the odds that I'll be able to get my points reduced and either pay a fine or do community service?? I'm at a complete loss here.

Thanks.
Well start by getting your story straight. I just checked and the speed limit on that stretch is 40 mph, not 45. It sounds like you blew through a 20 mph school zone at 45 mph. It hard to get sympathy for that. The judge might not be any more understanding then the cop was. Go to court and try to get it reduced down.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:43 AM

345 posts, read 913,735 times
According to my driving record I have never had a speeding ticket ever
Talk to your parents make sure one goes to court with you. The DA will usually offer your a deal with lesser points etc, although they may be less leinent since it was a school zone.
Parent-Court that is the best way to handle it.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,267 times
Can someone help me? I was on my way to work in bromfield. I leave at usually 9am and go the route of highway 7 to Washington to 144th and then to Sheridan Blvd. The speed limit is 40mph on Sheridan which is what I was doing when a officer pulled me over for speeding 40mph in a 25 zone. It is a school zone but the lights were not flashing and I am sure but its my word against the officers. How do I prove what times them lights flash? I am an outstanding citision and have not had any tickets for 25 years until recently when it seems that every officer that sees me red 1998 Saturn has to pull me over for something I did not do.I have had to spend two weeks for my check that I work very hard for on traffic tickets.in my opinion fines are extremely high considering most of us make minum wage. And have family's to support.does anyone know how I can beat this? Please.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:06 PM

459 posts, read 807,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpcharmed View Post
Can someone help me? I was on my way to work in bromfield. I leave at usually 9am and go the route of highway 7 to Washington to 144th and then to Sheridan Blvd. The speed limit is 40mph on Sheridan which is what I was doing when a officer pulled me over for speeding 40mph in a 25 zone. It is a school zone but the lights were not flashing and I am sure but its my word against the officers. How do I prove what times them lights flash? I am an outstanding citision and have not had any tickets for 25 years until recently when it seems that every officer that sees me red 1998 Saturn has to pull me over for something I did not do.I have had to spend two weeks for my check that I work very hard for on traffic tickets.in my opinion fines are extremely high considering most of us make minum wage. And have family's to support.does anyone know how I can beat this? Please.
Broomfield school zone flasher schedule

If the time you got the ticket was at a time you couldn't conceivably have been driving through the school zone during those times (I am assuming for Aspen Creek Elementary) you should take this schedule to court.

However if you got this ticket yesterday (Wednesday) and drive this route sometime after 9am odds are it was during the time the lights were supposed to be flashing.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:36 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdddiv View Post

Thanks.
Bragging that you have never been pulled over; have a clean driving record and this is my first offense when you only had your license for only 8 months means absolutely nothing. It is not enough time to indicate you have been driving well. If you have been driving for years then it means something.

What it indicates to a judge is that you drive too fast; do not pay attention and perhaps are too immature to have a license. The judge knows for every offense that people get cited, there are multiple other times they are not caught.

Adding your possible lie; and to say that the police flew out of no where...busted me...he was unsympathetic---all BS to evade responsibility. If you told that to the judge he would consider you have no respect for authority and are blaming your mistake on the police.

Be humble; tell the truth; admit the mistake; and you will pay a fine; be put on probation; and forced to go to driving school. I doubt you would loose your license.You will of course be paying much more for insurance. However, saying all what you have written with the arrogance of youth will not lead to a good conclusion in court.

Be thankful, you did not hit a child then it would be much, much worse.

Gee, I have not had a ticket in about 19 years and I have very few tickets in about 50 years of having a license. Never a 6 point offense; never driving drunk; never driving through a school zone. When they looked at my driving record at this offense, it was not a big deal. It took me many years of driving before I got a ticket--certainly not 8 months into driving--I was very careful!

Livecontent

Old 11-05-2015, 06:51 PM

380 posts, read 652,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Bragging that you have never been pulled over; have a clean driving record and this is my first offense when you only had your license for only 8 months means absolutely nothing. It is not enough time to indicate you have been driving well. If you have been driving for years then it means something.

What it indicates to a judge is that you drive too fast; do not pay attention and perhaps are too immature to have a license. The judge knows for every offense that people get cited, there are multiple other times they are not caught.

Adding your possible lie; and to say that the police flew out of no where...busted me...he was unsympathetic---all BS to evade responsibility. If you told that to the judge he would consider you have no respect for authority and are blaming your mistake on the police.

Be humble; tell the truth; admit the mistake; and you will pay a fine; be put on probation; and forced to go to driving school. I doubt you would loose your license.You will of course be paying much more for insurance. However, saying all what you have written with the arrogance of youth will not lead to a good conclusion in court.

Be thankful, you did not hit a child then it would be much, much worse.

Gee, I have not had a ticket in about 19 years and I have very few tickets in about 50 years of having a license. Never a 6 point offense; never driving drunk; never driving through a school zone. When they looked at my driving record at this offense, it was not a big deal. It took me many years of driving before I got a ticket--certainly not 8 months into driving--I was very careful!

Livecontent
Thanks for the lecture, Dad.

Old 11-05-2015, 07:41 PM

473 posts, read 848,751 times
I agree: Be well dressed, listen and never interrupt, and be polite and respectful -but not to a point of being overly obsequious.

Be 100% contrite and offer it as an early learning experience. Bring the parents if able. If by good standing in the community means you do church volunteer stuff or coaching-all the better. I think?

Also despite the setback, don't feel terrible. Plenty of adults get busted in school zones too. When I leave work early at 3pm there's a street that's usually 30-35 and it's down to 20. It's always a surprise. And rightly so - it doesn't hurt to go into turtle speed for a few blocks when the area has tons of kids around. Keeps you aware and better reaction time.

Keep a good record, pay the fines, and in a few years it'll pass.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:33 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdenver View Post
I agree: Be well dressed, listen and never interrupt, and be polite and respectful -but not to a point of being overly obsequious.

Be 100% contrite and offer it as an early learning experience. Bring the parents if able. If by good standing in the community means you do church volunteer stuff or coaching-all the better. I think?

Also despite the setback, don't feel terrible. Plenty of adults get busted in school zones too. When I leave work early at 3pm there's a street that's usually 30-35 and it's down to 20. It's always a surprise. And rightly so - it doesn't hurt to go into turtle speed for a few blocks when the area has tons of kids around. Keeps you aware and better reaction time.

Keep a good record, pay the fines, and in a few years it'll pass.
Excellent Post but I cannot give you any reps--I have not posted for almost a year and I guess this forum keep track of those past reps.

I would just say one thing. Being retired, sometimes I go and sit in the local courtrooms just watch what is happening--I know I need a life. Many times it is better than TV!

I have noticed that some of the parents that come along with their children make things worse. They seem to want to show off to their children and get loud and abrasive. Many of them are just stupid and some are real loosers being worse than their children. Some do not know how to dress--they are adults and they are dressing with hanging pants like a gang banger. For them profanity and garbage language is normal conversation.

I have seen parent ordered out of the courtroom and some taken into custody--some for the courtroom behavior and threats made; some just for outstanding warrants. Of course, some of the problems that children have are learned from their problem parents.

If your parents are one of these, I suggest leaving them home.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver