Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 06:52 PM

7 posts, read 3,537 times

Advertisements

I am currently contemplating moving to CO (Denver area) and know nothing about the middle schools out there. Can any of you give me good recommendations for both public and private, as well as great kid-friendly neighborhoods? My kiddo will be going into 7th grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 07:58 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
No.
We need more information.

Old 03-20-2024, 08:11 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
No.
We need more information.
Agreed. What's your budget? Do you need to live near jobs? Do you prefer urban or suburban neighborhoods? Do you care about the diversity of the area you're living in?

Old 03-21-2024, 08:54 AM

Apologies for not giving more information. I have family in Littleton, so I would like to be within a 30-minute proximity to them. As I will be renting, my preference is for a residential setting, ideally a house within a suburban neighborhood.

For jobs, I am exploring remote/hybrid opportunities and would like to be close to the office to minimize commuting distances.

Where I currently live is in a suburban neighborhood that is family oriented, close to my kid's school, and not too far a drive from the city, grocery and other stores, and my kid's activities. I'm not saying I need all of these things, but that's the ideal picture.

Old 03-21-2024, 02:33 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
"Littleton" encompasses a very large area because the mailing address goes way beyond the actual city limits.

I would encourage you to focus on school districts, because you want to check out high schools as well as middle schools. Unless you plan to move again in a couple of years. Generally both Littleton and Cherry Creek school districts are good. But, again, check a Littleton mailing address to see what district it is in. Could be Arapahoe or Jefferson County.

Old 03-21-2024, 08:28 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Work location?
Budget?

Old 03-22-2024, 11:22 AM

405 posts, read 448,690 times
30 minutes from Littleton would include Denver. Do you have any interest in living in the city limits? Contrary to what some suburbanites will say, there ARE excellent public schools (middle schools as well) in Denver Public Schools. There are also a few excellent privates.

Old 03-24-2024, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
"Littleton" encompasses a very large area because the mailing address goes way beyond the actual city limits.

I would encourage you to focus on school districts, because you want to check out high schools as well as middle schools. Unless you plan to move again in a couple of years. Generally both Littleton and Cherry Creek school districts are good. But, again, check a Littleton mailing address to see what district it is in. Could be Arapahoe or Jefferson County.
I've been looking at schools, but again, am not sure which ones are the best since reviews and ratings only tell you so much. So any insight from parents whose kids attend these schools, would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post
30 minutes from Littleton would include Denver. Do you have any interest in living in the city limits? Contrary to what some suburbanites will say, there ARE excellent public schools (middle schools as well) in Denver Public Schools. There are also a few excellent privates.
If there are some nice suburbs around the city limits, I wouldn't be opposed to it. I just don't want to live directly in Denver. I've looked at Denver, Aspen, and Colorado Academies. Do you know anything about how good these schools are? Again, reviews only go so far.

Old 03-24-2024, 10:53 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times
Generally schools in Colorado are pretty good. The more you pay for your house the better the schools system is likely to be but you will find satisfied parents in all school districts and pretty much all schools. If you want to see the "Best" you will have to look at one of the ranking systems and locate the top ranked ones in the area you are considering.

https://www.usnews.com/education/k12...hools/colorado

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...ls/s/colorado/

https://www.greatschools.org/colorad...Levels%5B%5D=m

Since you are renting the reality is that you are limited to what will be available as a rental in the area you are looking. Rental homes in neighborhoods with the very top schools are probably few and seldom available. You would have more luck finding an apartment to rent in a top school area.

"Where I currently live is in a suburban neighborhood that is family oriented, close to my kid's school, and not too far a drive from the city, grocery and other stores, and my kid's activities. I'm not saying I need all of these things, but that's the ideal picture. "

This basically describes 100% of the suburbs. The more expensive the nicer everything will be but even midprice range for Denver is pretty nice. If you find a bargain you are either being scammed or there is something seriously wrong with the property that makes it unappealing to locals.

Read the reviews for the schools you are interested in and trust your gut. No one on this forum will be able to provide you with an answer for individual middle schools in the Littleton area. At most a poster will have experience with one or maybe two schools and the info could be years to decades old. Usually if a parent doesn't like the local public school they move over to the free charter school system so there is alot of choice available and people are thus happy with where there kids go.

Old 03-24-2024, 11:57 AM

405 posts, read 448,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebug55 View Post
I've looked at Denver, Aspen, and Colorado Academies. Do you know anything about how good these schools are? Again, reviews only go so far.
Not familiar with Aspen Academy. Denver Academy is actually a school for kids with learning disabilities/disorders. Colorado Academy is one of the most respected private schools in the state. Quite country clubbish, but very, very solid academics and extra curriculars. Similar to Colorado Academy is Denver Kent, another respected private with very good academics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebug55 View Post
If there are some nice suburbs around the city limits, I wouldn't be opposed to it.
There are very good public schools in the Cherry Creek School district, notably in the Cherry Hills areas. These are not just "nice suburbs" -- they're quite well-to-do (and often very scenic.)

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-24-2024 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver