Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 12:24 PM

6 posts, read 14,049 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move from Brooklyn to Westchester by the end of the year, as we're running out of room with 16 month old twins! Our budget seems to allow us to look at the lowest-priced houses in school systems like Blind Brook, Mamaroneck, Rye Neck, (Pleasantville, Dobbs Ferry, Hastings also on the list but not as high)...so we took a peek at Port Chester and it looks like we can afford a nicer house, more space, in a prettier neighborhood. But I know the schools aren't great. Either way, we're looking for a "starter house" so we're planning on reselling in around 10 years. I've heard good things about the King Street elementary in Port Chester, and we're only looking at houses zoned for that school.

My question is, do we go for the not great house in the good school district, or the comfortable house in Port Chester? Which do you think we'd have better luck selling in the next 5-10 years? Does anyone have an opinion about the King Street school?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 12:36 PM

223 posts, read 828,064 times
I would go for the better school district as you kids will be in school in 4 years. You can always upgrade to a larger house in that school district when the time comes and you will be settled into the area already or make renovations to the house to upgrade it.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:22 PM

78 posts, read 183,246 times
Absolutely 100% go with the lesser house in the better school district. People are always looking for starter homes in great school districts, so it will be a good investment. Also, pay attention to the community involvement, other families/kids on the block, try to steer clear of busy streets, etc... and you'll be happy no matter that the house is not as large/architecturally pleasing as you might like (actually, all of the towns you mentioned would be great this way.) In particular, I have a couple of friends who bought starter homes in that district in PC. Let's just say none of their kids ever ended up attending King St. even though they all touted it when they bought there - they either moved before it was an issue or went the private / parochial school route. I'm not saying I think there's anything wrong with the school, just that if you already have misgivings about it, and you sound just like my friends did, that's not likely to change.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:51 PM

31 posts, read 135,586 times
Agree with the above! You can always upgrade to a nicer house down the road if it becomes feasible. Have you checked Hawthorne/Thornwood? Great schools and slightly more reasonable home prices than other areas in equally good districts. Good luck!

Old 06-28-2013, 08:40 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirl185 View Post
Our budget seems to allow us to look at the lowest-priced houses in school systems like Blind Brook, Mamaroneck, Rye Neck, (Pleasantville, Dobbs Ferry, Hastings also on the list but not as high)
How much exactly is your budget? I would have thought that M-Neck and P-Ville would be reasonably priced.

I would never use this as a strategy. You will be at the lower end of the financial strata in your wealthy community and struggle to keep up with rising expenses like taxes, socials, etc. Also I would assume that if the homes are not attractive, they would be hard to re-sell since they will be the outliers in the neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirl185 View Post
so we took a peek at Port Chester and it looks like we can afford a nicer house, more space, in a prettier neighborhood.
Have you looked at Tuckahoe or Eastchester? Schools are OK and some houses there are priced at $520 to $550.

If your price range is lower than that, you may want to check Rockland or NJ. They have good communities and good schools.

As a general rule, it's often a good idea to move to an area where people are like you and share the same financial profile and priorities. Less of that "keep up" mentality.

Last edited by Forest_Hills_Daddy; 06-28-2013 at 09:36 PM..

Old 06-28-2013, 10:46 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,573,823 times
Just remember the three rules of real estate:

Location, location, location.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:47 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,387 times
Homes in better districts always appreciate faster. We had to sell 20 months after buying here due to a job change and made a ton. My friends that bought even lower in the market in meh districts still can't break even.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:43 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
Homes in better districts always appreciate faster. We had to sell 20 months after buying here due to a job change and made a ton. My friends that bought even lower in the market in meh districts still can't break even.
This is a key. You are talking about trading up to a bigger house when the kids get older, but unless you "make" on selling the house you start in, that's not likely to happen unless your salaries go up, something far from guaranteed nowadays.

If that's not possible, the "not-so-great" district house at least guarantees that you're in the size house you want the whole way through without extra expenses you can't handle.

But it also depends on your definition of where's "not-so-great", as someone else said, there's a great "keep up" factor and "snob appeal" here and many districts considered "not-so-great" here would be the top district of almost any other part of the US they'd be placed in. While there's certainly merit to criticisms of truly "urban" districts like Mt. Vernon or Yonkers or Peekskill (and perhaps in recent years Ossining and Port Chester), I've heard people here call places like Eastchester or Tuckahoe or Dobbs Ferry or Mamaroneck or White Plains "not so great" when they're fine in my view.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:29 AM

395 posts, read 1,617,730 times
I think you would be fine with a starter home on the lower end of the spectrum in Pleasantville. Houses tend to be more expensive there (than Hawthorne/Thornwood) because people like the smaller school district, train station, town amenities and charming older homes in the downtown area, but the community as a whole is more down to earth with not as much of the "keep up" mentality.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:15 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,858,718 times
Houses in the lower end of the spectrum in P-Ville (depending on how low one is referring) tend to be either in low lying areas or at the foot of a mountain. That means one nasty thing - floods.

I remember 1.5 years ago there was a listing in Scarsdale for $550K. Then when you got there you saw 2 large trees tilting towards the house.

Which brings me back to my point. One way or another, it's going to cost you.

But without an idea of the OP's budget, it's hard to tell what exactly fits the price range. Based on the first post, it doesn't look like the choice necessarily has to be between P-Ville or Peekskill. There is something in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County