Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 11:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times

Advertisements

Thunderriddge because it's a 4A size school rather than 5A and my son is excited about attending there.

What is a 4A and 5A school? My family is also relocating to the HR or Ken Caryl area soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 04:03 PM

90 posts, read 635,782 times
It's about the size of the student body. The larger the school, the more kids go there. 5A are the largest schools, sometimes massive. Most of the Denver metro area are 5A.

We're moving from a small town that is 3A, so the 4A school would be an easier transition for our kids.

Old 01-15-2007, 06:54 PM

450 posts, read 1,906,087 times
Highlands Ranch was great for me, I lived there when there was only one high school (Highlands Ranch) and had a great time. There are so many new kids continually moving in, you always meet new people. The kids I went to school with were great, I have stayed friends with some well after college. Overall, my best and most enjoyable years of my education were in Highlands Ranch, I had great teaching, the sports programs were great, the after-school programs also were top-notch.

When ThunderRidge opened, many of the teachers and coaches went over to ThunderRidge, and they've done a great job. If your son plays or even watches football, they have one of the best programs in the state, not to mention a great stadium that a lot of us fought hard for back in the 90s! (it is shared between the HR schools)

Old 01-24-2007, 10:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,976 times
It looks like education is of importance to you .Thunder ridge may be starting an IB program next fall.
Roxborugh has definitley had water problems .
If there is more than one HOA snow removal has been better. It has been historically bad snow and I guess the infrastructure had a shortfall.
I am a Realtor and live and work in the area.
Let me know what other information you would like to get.
Wish you all the best.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
Highlands Ranch was great for me, I lived there when there was only one high school (Highlands Ranch) and had a great time. There are so many new kids continually moving in, you always meet new people. The kids I went to school with were great, I have stayed friends with some well after college. Overall, my best and most enjoyable years of my education were in Highlands Ranch, I had great teaching, the sports programs were great, the after-school programs also were top-notch.

When ThunderRidge opened, many of the teachers and coaches went over to ThunderRidge, and they've done a great job. If your son plays or even watches football, they have one of the best programs in the state, not to mention a great stadium that a lot of us fought hard for back in the 90s! (it is shared between the HR schools)
Thanks for the review! Yes, my son is a quarterback and has already been in contact with the Thunderridge head coach. He's very excited about their program, which makes the move much less stressful for a 14 year old who has lived in the same small town his whole life.

Meenasemail: What is an IB program?

Old 01-27-2007, 11:53 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
International Baccalaureate Organization

The International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) is a recognized leader in the field of international education, encouraging students to be active ...
www.ibo.org/

Currently the program is offered at Douglas County High, and the HR kids ride a bus to and from.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:34 PM

I checked out the link -- thanks for that.

I couldn't really find any information on the teachers in the IB program. Are they college instructors with masters degrees or those with secondary teaching certification? (I ask partly on behalf of my son who would weigh the offerings and partly because I am a college instructor who will be looking for a teaching position.)

Old 02-02-2007, 09:52 AM

14 posts, read 175,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTNS_TX View Post
It's about the size of the student body. The larger the school, the more kids go there. 5A are the largest schools, sometimes massive. Most of the Denver metro area are 5A.

We're moving from a small town that is 3A, so the 4A school would be an easier transition for our kids.
ThunderRidge could easily move to 5A any one of these years.... It depends on how many more students ThunderRidge may get.

Most of the Denver area isn't 5A -- a lot of public schools are 4A and even 3A. Examples of 3A and 4A in metro Denver - Alameda, Golden, Wheat Ridge, Standley Lake, Douglas County, Englewood, Jefferson, Wheat Ridge, Evergreen, Dakota Ridge, Littleton, several Denver public high schools, Thornton, Skyview, Westminster, Sheridan, etc. etc. There are a number of 5A in the metro area -- but I wouldn't necessarily say that 5A is the majority.

However, if you're moving to Douglas County -- ThunderRidge, CastleView, and Douglas County are the smallest in the district so far. Not sure about Ponderosa's population anymore? Or Chapparral? I hear that Highlands Ranch may be losing student population?

Old 02-02-2007, 01:44 PM

210 posts, read 1,345,423 times
I don't know if it's more recent or not, but I know that several of the schools you listed are 5A. I know off the top of my head that at least Littleton, Standley Lake, Douglas County, and Dakota Ridge are all 5A.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:39 PM

I'll bet Thunderridge does get re-ranked at 5A before both of my kids are all the way through. But the fact that it is in Highlands Ranch, a bit smaller than the other HR schools, and on the west side for husband's commute mean it's a good fit for our transition from a smaller school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver