Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 08:55 PM

4 posts, read 34,811 times

Advertisements

Hello Coloradians

Im writing because I need some help. Im a 28 year old married female with 0 kids. I have lived in NJ my whole life and am thinking about taking a job opportunity in a Hospital in Englewood, Colorado if offered to me! Everything in NJ is getting ridiculously expensive as I live bordering NYC. I love it here dont get me wrong, but I need a change of scenery! So I have a few questions.

1. Whats it really like in Colorado?
2. How much is a decent 2 bedroom apartment in englewood-denver area?
3. Are job prospects good out there?
4. My husband is a class B truck driver, you think he'll have a problem finding a job?

Also to be honest, my credit was ruined when i was about 22 years old and stupid. Ive been working on it for the past year and trying to make it better but as you all know its a long process. None the less, do you think it would be really hard to rent an apartment with this credit issue? I have more than enough income to support myself, but the credit issue is haunting me! Any information you can give me would be so greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advanced
Confused in NJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 12:52 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,842 times
Hi, your questions are pretty general, so it's hard to know quite how to respond. You'll find a wealth of information by searching city-data threads.

As for your question about 2-bedroom apartments, you probably could find that anywhere from about $500/month on the very low end up to, well, whatever you're willing to pay. Certainly something very decent can be had for $700-$900.

As for job prospects, it sounds like you have some leads for a job already and I'd strongly recommend trying to get a job before you come. The job market is tough for everyone right now, no matter where you go, though by no means impossible here in Denver.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:07 PM

Default thank you

Thank you for your reply message. I appreciate it. Yes I do have a lead and I hope I get it, I was just wondering about the actual cost of living there. Thank you for your info. I will keep pondering the other threads as well!

new jersian for now!

Old 12-04-2008, 01:15 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,051,528 times
If you guys can get a position, I would really give the thumbs up to moving...never going back to the East Coast here

Old 12-04-2008, 01:24 PM

Default ???

thak you sub sound. thats comforting to know. but why do you say never the east coast again? Just curious?

Old 12-04-2008, 02:25 PM

619 posts, read 2,199,136 times
I'm a life-long Jersey girl myself, who moved to CO in July.

I have to say I love it so far. Traffic is better - soooo much better (although people here complain about it but living just outside NYC, trust me, it's nothing!) The weather is better (although that's apparently a 50+ page debate to be had ) It was really hot here this summer, but without NJ's humidity it was fine - step into the shade, and it just feels nice and warm. It"s quite a bit browner than I was used to, ( I miss old neighborhoods full of shade trees) but that endless blue sky more than makes up for it. It's started to snow a bit - but it really does seem to melt almost immediately. Obviously, there's a serious winter, but coming from NJ, it's hardly a huge changel.

Cost of living is lower, but not as much lower as we thought it might be. We did spend 8 months in PA, between NJ and CO - and that was MUCH cheaper than either place.

People are friendlier. (although, again, if you ask many people here they'll complain about how rude people are) DH and I always laugh in amazement when we drive on 470 - every single toll-taker is the nicest person, wishing you a great day with a huge smile - and you can tell they really, truly mean it. It's that way everywhere.

In our case, with two kids, we've also noticed how much higher a quality of life is available for our kids here. One big example - most areas/towns seem to have at least one rec center. These are like the nicest Y's you've ever seen in NJ, really more like private gyms, with so many activities - and the cost is next to nothing compared to the thousands you'd have to spend on memberships in NJ. My town has 14 pools we can swim in any day (well, fewer than that in the winter) - any one of them is way nicer than 95% of the public/private pools in NJ (which where we were would have involved paying a $5-10,000 bond and $$$ per annum to join)

It certainly isn't nirvana, but it's pretty darned close if you ask us. I was very happy in NJ, but like you, finances made us look elsewhere and we now can't believe how lucky we are to have had the chance to come here.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:30 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,565,195 times
Compared to Jersey, Colorado is Nirvana. Trust me I came from Philly. Its great here. DO IT!

Old 12-04-2008, 02:41 PM

Wink Thank you

mczabe, Pilot1- Thank you so much for replying! I really appreciate it! I keep hearing wonderful things about Colorado. I hope they do call me for my last interview. Had 2 already and the people were phenomenal! I was really happy and excited! So now im just waiting. I really appreciate all your input! Im looking forward to change and something new! I hope colorado is it! By the way, how far is englewood from denver?

Thanks so much
me

Old 12-05-2008, 05:57 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Englewood borders Denver.

15-20 minutes to downtown.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:40 PM

358 posts, read 1,037,009 times
This is an interesting post, especially when reading the replies from other east coasters. I grew up in the DC area and lived in the NYC area (Montgomery St in Jersey City) for almost 10 years. My wife and I moved to Nor Cal for a complete change of scenery and love it. But, the cost of living is really beginning to wear us down and are thinking of making another move. Denver is on the short list.

I, too, wonder what it really means when people in Denver complain about traffic. Having lived in the DC, NYC, and now in the Bay Area, I figure its gotta be better than what I've experienced in the past.

It makes you realize that everything is relative and each person has their own perspective. When we finally took the leap to head west, we figured the worst that can happen is that we are truly miserable and move back to NYC. Well, we haven't moved back to NYC (much to the chagrin of our families).

I've been reading these boards for a while now (OK, just a couple of months) and from what I've read, I have a very positive impression of living in Denver. So as someone who doesn't live in Denver, but can appreciate your desire to make a move, I say go for it! You only live once. You'll find that many of your friends will look at you with envy, even if they could never get up the nerve to make such a move themselves. Maybe the envy is of your ability to make the move, not necessarily the place you've chosen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver