Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 06:44 PM

13 posts, read 31,263 times

Advertisements

Tough economy has hurt production at my current job and I am looking into moving, preferably to the midwest. Wherever there is decent-paying work. I live in SC and I'm tired of the bland weather and cheesy development in this area. I have a strong feeling that Colorado may have what I'm looking for.
What are the manufacturing opportunties in Denver? Or say south in Colorado Springs? And I don't mean any executive or manager positions...I mean the entry level stuff. And how is the pay vs. cost of living? I have a pretty good opportunity to jump....so any info would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 06:55 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
I know this is a Denver thread but Pueblo has a lot of manufacturing jobs, in fact Pueblo is known as the states manufacturing center. They are building the production center for Vesta's wind turbines and Pueblo is still home to one of the largest steel mills west of the Mississippi river. Those are just two examples, in fact even during the recession CU says that employment is up in Pueblo do to the constriction activity and hiring at manufacturing facilities.

That being said you might want to look and come out to visit before you make the move.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:34 PM

345 posts, read 1,566,991 times
Along that same idea, Vesta has a factory up and running in Windsor, CO and is in the process of building a factory in Brighton. The Brighton plant probably won't be in operation until 2010.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:21 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,076,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson27 View Post
Tough economy has hurt production at my current job and I am looking into moving, preferably to the midwest. Wherever there is decent-paying work. I live in SC and I'm tired of the bland weather and cheesy development in this area. I have a strong feeling that Colorado may have what I'm looking for.
What are the manufacturing opportunties in Denver? Or say south in Colorado Springs? And I don't mean any executive or manager positions...I mean the entry level stuff. And how is the pay vs. cost of living? I have a pretty good opportunity to jump....so any info would help.
Since when is Denver considered part of the midwest?

Colorado has a very small manufacturing economy. The main things they produce are weapons for the military and aerospace components which would require advanced education. People who move to Denver are software engineers and research scientists, not hourly labor. CO isn't very friendly to labor unions, but I guess neither is SC. Unless you really like skiing or snowboarding, I would do some more research.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:31 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,464,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Since when is Denver considered part of the midwest?

Colorado has a very small manufacturing economy. The main things they produce are weapons for the military and aerospace components which would require advanced education. People who move to Denver are software engineers and research scientists, not hourly labor. CO isn't very friendly to labor unions, but I guess neither is SC. Unless you really like skiing or snowboarding, I would do some more research.
What are you talking about? That statement in 100% false. Just look up Pueblo (and yes we are in Colorado) our economy is based on manufacturing and energy production, the Colorado energy park will be built here and will be the largest of its kind in America and have heavy industries that need to be by power sources.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
What are you talking about? That statement in 100% false. Just look up Pueblo (and yes we are in Colorado) our economy is based on manufacturing and energy production, the Colorado energy park will be built here and will be the largest of its kind in America and have heavy industries that need to be by power sources.
The manuacturing sector only makes up 7.26563% of Colorado's economy Colorado Economy - Search Results - MSN Encarta.

Pueblo's manufacturing sector is slightly higher at 12.93% according to Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed. Hardly comparable to a city like Green Bay (20.83%), or the state of WI as a whole (22.5337%).

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 05:26 AM..

Old 01-20-2009, 09:39 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,970,319 times
Whatever the percentages of the area's economy manufacturing may be, I'm also curious to know mainly if there is a healthy supply of manufacturing jobs in the want ads / hiring in manufacturing or is the field crowded out and few jobs available in CO and in Denver in particular.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Whatever the percentages of the area's economy manufacturing may be, I'm also curious to know mainly if there is a healthy supply of manufacturing jobs in the want ads / hiring in manufacturing or is the field crowded out and few jobs available in CO and in Denver in particular.
Obviously there aren't very many manufacturing jobs if they make up less than 10% of the total economy.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:56 AM

28 posts, read 118,915 times
I would take a look at Denver Craigslist and look under the manufacturing section for jobs. Theres usually quite a few.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:32 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,970,319 times
10% of 1 million dollars isn't something I would turn down as chump change if offered to me. 10% doesn't tell you anything without knowing the whole pie the 10% is calculated from. If the pie is a big pie, the 10% is generally going to have a lot to it. If the economy is ample, then 10% of it can be sizeable as well.

Thanks for the Denver Craigslist suggestion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver