Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 09:10 AM

399 posts, read 1,550,082 times

Advertisements

IT'S ME AGAIN...YOUR FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD GECKO...WITH THE LATEST!

The Negatives...written as nicely as I can stomach.

1. Slow drivers. No, I'm not a speed demon. But will somebody please explain to people, especially the elders crowding the roadways in the mornings and afternoons, that if you can't drive the flow of traffic as the law dictates than you need to get off the road. You are inhibiting traffic, and that is dangerous.

2. Although this is my first big city I've lived in, I've noticed people tend to be drowsy or not paying attention at all behind the wheel. I have to get a knot in my back just driving from one end of Wadsworth to the other. I try so hard not to go anywhere else cause of the quality of traffic out there. (I'm not naive, I understand more people live here than me)

3. I'm so sick of people pawning all of the bad driving on the transplants. Go to Indiana someday, and we will BLOW YOU OUT OF THE WATER in inclimate weather driving. I've never seen so many bad drivers in bad weather. Not even in a rainstorm in Florida. And stop saying it's California...ya been to LA? They MOVE there...when traffic isn't at at standstill.

4. Turn signals, lights, pay attention people. I wish that it was more acceptable to blow my horn here. But it's not, so I just have to get ticked when people are digging in their bags, playing with their dogs...it's a car people...go play at a McDonalds.

5. Brakes. Seriously, take a course on ABS. You don't have to get right on the tail of the guy in front of you and repeatedly stop...this creates a chain that hurts everyone behind you. Oh, what's the use, I feel like I'm the smartest person on the planet behind the wheel here, and that's sad.

6. The government. The police don't pull over people doing 15 under, although the law says they should. This morning traffic was held up for three miles on 120th...Why? Because a construction truck was blocking the right lane, with an arrow, and nothing was going on...couldn't they wait till after rush hour to do that? Wow, 7:30 am, good choice, Skippy.
Driving offenses are punished worse than murderers, and really bad crimes go by everyday. What's the deal? Wow, I hate to say, but it's not what I thought it would be.

7. The people. While I have met some kind, outgoing people, I have to say people in general are rude, distant, and not friendly when you engage them with a smile or general conversation. You'd think I was a sex offender when I smile at someone in the gym. What an unfriendly, un-welcoming city! I can't be the only one with this opinion. I am just hoping that over time, I'll learn to adjust to this.

8. The cost of living. Wow, how does anyone short of a Master's Degree make it here? If you want to live in a crime infested or low area, you'll pay enough, but if you want a decent apartment, they want you to make 3x?!? as much as your rent, and have perfect references. Welcome back to two jobs, once again...

9. General stupidity. Am I better than everyone? NO. I know that. I don't put myself on a pedestal. But it seems as though smarter people are truly a hunted down rarity here. The better and more efficient you try to do anything, the more you are looked at as though YOU are crazy! People just tend to care less, treat you as though you barely exist, unless it's their job to be nice to you. On the road...enough said.

10. Negative attitudes. Yes, I'm attacking myself as well. But I don't mean just me, people who have a hard time getting by being new here, SEVERAL bad experiences in a short time, but also the people who live here and are oblivious to the negativity here. It's like the matrix hasn't gotten to me yet, and I just haven't accepted things. But most people, when you confront them with these problems, even gently, seem to act as though Denver is Xanadu, this perfect haven with no issues. Seriously, less happy pills, but then, maybe I'll get those my first year in!

THE GOOD....I HAVE TO BE FAIR, AND I WILL...

1. The outdoors. Wow. I could stare forever. With just a bit of gas money, a bottle of water, and some trail mix, the world changes perspectives forever. I am still amazed everytime I go into the mountains. They are truly my home in my heart, and cold city or not, they are always warm to me, even covered in clouds and snow.

2. I have met some awesome people. It's cool to meet and converse with people from everywhere. Being an ENFP, conversation and interaction is essential, and I have met some, but need to find more friendlys.

3. The viewpoint. It's beautiful to be cruising down the freeway at 45 (hah, sorry) and see the mountains in the background. That never get's old to me, just as it didn't in Hawaii either. I do wish they were a bit easier to access...But "It takes money my friend"

4. The more you know...I remember reading something years ago stating that when you are bored, learn more about something to generate interest. Learning about Union Station the other night on TV was one of those things, I just wish I had more time, companionship, and money to go learn more. It's so hard to live like a tourist when you live somewhere, rather than visiting it.

5. People do help those who help themselves. What do I mean by that? Well, I've tried hard, and fell a few times, but people do continually give me chances, I guess that despite there are issues here, people still recognize the value of a good worker, and that is uplifting.

6. Amenities. Once I move to my new apartment in June, I'll be less than 3 miles from my gym, my work, and about 8 from my second job. A lot less traveling equals a happier transplant! It's the benefit of living in a city. You have many choices in a short distance to get to where you need to go. That's great.

7. Open Spaces and trails...BRAVO! Denver! I have never seen a city so intent on making outdoors the life as here. There's always room for improvements, but they are making them constantly. People need to pick up after their dogs, but you'll find that everywhere, trust me!

8. Parking. After living in Key West, and Hawaii, it's good to say there is always enough parking for those who are not afraid to walk a bit. You'll live longer, it's good for you! It's nice to see that for the first time in 8 years consistently.

9. Snow. While I wish I had a helicopter those days to escape traffic, it doesn't last or stick very long. A very strong relief coming from someone moving from Florida and Hawaii. It's there, it's pretty, scrape, scrape, take a picture, it's gone!

10. The air. Yes, it's dry. But we knew that coming in, right...Admit it! But it's also clean. Very little air pollution for such a large city. And you can see the beauty from up in the hills. Try that in S. California, or the East Coast....nope.

11. Connections. As in a small town, it's all who you know here. Why is that a plus. Well, if you're not a jerk, and you stick around, you'll get connections, and not the mafia type. Eventually, you'll have a regular everything, and be rewarded by them for using their service and giving them your money. Impressive for such a large city, the customer service aspect.

12. Education. Although the residency leaves to be desired, there are many choices here, and Colorado seems generally interested in helping you get through college. I find that very inviting, coming from the apathetic Florida Keys. With good reason, most are retired.

13. Culture. Yes, it's a bit dry compared to the size, but they are trying. Myself, rarely getting out with no money, can't really see what's out there. But there are people with flyers and websites, and commercials inviting you. They really are trying. Maybe summer will be better.

14. US Diversity. Only somebody who's traveled and/or been in the service can explain this one to you. There is so much enriching that takes place from meeting people from everywhere. I have also retracted my statement made months ago about it being mostly ghetto. Where I am at now, and do most of my driving, it seems much nicer. Pretty much the whole Western side of the city and Northwest. So what do I mean by US? You can meet someone from everywhere in the country...that's beneficial.

15. Location. In the West, in general, in the state. Whoever said isolated, well, it's not the East Coast. You don't have a city one mile away. But each community surrounding the Denver Metro area is exciting in its own way. People will always complain. But since I've been here, I've been to Los Angeles, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Phoenix, Sedona, and that's only in the few months I've been here. Oh yeah, VEGAS, baby! Maybe one day when I go there I won't be broke arriving Although the job has taken me here, one reason I moved here was being a hub point to the exciting West. I will say if you don't care about the outdoors, you might find this place duller.

FINALE...

While I'm still not sure if this is home, I've signed on for another year, pending my lease. I feel like I need to give anything a a fair shake before I write it off and leave. I continue to interact daily with bad and good people. I just take it as it comes, realize that people in general are turned off a bit more cause of the recession and economy, and write off the coldness of some as the fact that so many people are from everywhere, and a lot of people probably feel intimidated. When we do, we tend to follow nature and put off a vibe of being distant, uninviting.

I however, will NEVER stop being friendly. It's just who I am, and I'm happier that way. I'm not a wierdo about it, but I try to be nice, and I hate to say it's a challenge dealing with such a large city, and a larger amount of negativity than I am used to being exposed to. But in all, every experience will take you down one road...

"What Cannot Destroy you can only make you stronger..."

And I'm still standing. Thanks for reading Transplant monthly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 12:00 PM

556 posts, read 1,200,301 times
it seems like driving seriously stresses you out. ditch the car, ride a bike or take the bus, maybe then you can appreciate the slower pace instead of fuming at all the crappy drivers.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:05 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Gecko, have you been driving in the roadlets within apartment communities?

On 25, 225 and 470, people seem to be going at rocket speed.

Point 7:
I have found Colorado very friendly, like NC. The girls are somewhat shy but that's okay , better than NC. CO is not as ridiculous as New York. I've come across some of the rudest folks. I also find the widespread English speaking extremely pleasant. I had to put up with gangs of people speaking solely on Spanish or Russian.

Point 9:
What's wrong in not being smart? It's better not to be smart than not be a douchebag.

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 04-30-2009 at 12:13 PM..

Old 04-30-2009, 12:37 PM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
don't know where on Wads you are traveling from/to - try Kipling, or Simms, or Sheridan.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:52 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Funny how when it comes to criticizing others' driving, it's always everybody else on the road who's the idiot. You sound like the type that creates road rage. Stop being so angry at everybody else when you're driving, just concentrate on being a safe, defensive driver.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:56 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Funny how when it comes to criticizing others' driving, it's always everybody else on the road who's the idiot. You sound like the type that creates road rage. Stop being so angry at everybody else when you're driving, just concentrate on being a safe, defensive driver.
I heard some comedian say, "Everyone who drives faster than me is a maniac. Everyone who drives slower than me is an idiot!"

Old 04-30-2009, 12:57 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Sorta like the game "midtown madness"

It was a game I used to play countless hours in my youth

It's fun to crash everything on the road, the mere sound the crash made sent everyone nuts in my house

Old 04-30-2009, 01:01 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
If someone's primary complaints about a place are traffic and driving, then that's a good thing, because EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE thinks the traffic and drivers are bad. The phrase should be modified to be "nothing is certain except death, and taxes, and traffic"

Old 04-30-2009, 01:04 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,184,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostgecko View Post
1. Slow drivers. No, I'm not a speed demon. But will somebody please explain to people, especially the elders crowding the roadways in the mornings and afternoons, that if you can't drive the flow of traffic as the law dictates than you need to get off the road. You are inhibiting traffic, and that is dangerous.
You need to research your State's traffic laws...
Colorado Traffic Laws - Learn About the Law

Speed limits are not made for breaking, regardless of the 'flow of traffic'. If someone is driving below the minumum speed (even if none is posted) then that is a citable offense, but no traffic court in the country will overlook a speeding violation simply because you think you were keeping with the flow of traffic.

Go the speed limit, my friend, and let the other drivers do as they will... And you might want to stay out of the left lane in either case.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:06 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,312,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
If someone's primary complaints about a place are traffic and driving, then that's a good thing, because EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE thinks the traffic and drivers are bad. The phrase should be modified to be "nothing is certain except death, and taxes, and traffic"
That's absolutely true. There is not one single city forum on this entire website where you can't find threads where people criticize the local driving habits. And that includes Indianapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver