Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 03:29 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
The shock of the cold is certainly too much for some. I think that the publicity that Colorado gets makes us sound ten times harsher than we really are (at least on the front range), so most people when they move here remark that they've been pleasantly surprised at our winters.
According to today's 9 News Online:

A WINTER STORM WARNING remains in effect for the Denver, Boulder, and Fort Collins metro areas, the Eastern Plains, and the Front Range mountains through 6pm Friday.

Light snow will continue to fall at times through Thursday evening. Because the ground under most roadways is relatively warm, it will take awhile before snow starts to accumulate on road surfaces. The main part of this spring storm system has not yet arrived. It will actually move in tonight.

So what's the story? Is it overkill or are y'all getting a spring storm?
If it's for real, that's quite a Friday the 13th.
Edited to add--looks like the storm warning was cancelled for Denver proper, and the storm shifted to the south?

Last edited by BlueWillowPlate; 04-13-2007 at 04:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 08:02 AM

11,828 posts, read 34,440,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
According to today's 9 News Online:

A WINTER STORM WARNING remains in effect for the Denver, Boulder, and Fort Collins metro areas, the Eastern Plains, and the Front Range mountains through 6pm Friday.

Light snow will continue to fall at times through Thursday evening. Because the ground under most roadways is relatively warm, it will take awhile before snow starts to accumulate on road surfaces. The main part of this spring storm system has not yet arrived. It will actually move in tonight.

So what's the story? Is it overkill or are y'all getting a spring storm?
If it's for real, that's quite a Friday the 13th.
Edited to add--looks like the storm warning was cancelled for Denver proper, and the storm shifted to the south?
Yup, the southern part of the state is getting the snow this time. Next strom may be here on Tuesday...flakes here in Douglas County (south of Denver) are few.

I had a relo client not come in today because of the weather. Their flight was cancelled. If they can get a new flight, they will...otherwise we are hoping they get reschedule in two weeks.

Me more then them, I am bowling in the women's state tournament in Ft. Collins next weekend. I hardly ever take a weekend off...

I am seeing a lot of buyer activity (looking/offers) in Douglas and Arapahoe counties. Some properties under $250,000 are seeing more than one offer

Old 04-13-2007, 09:52 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Default Piece of Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalisa4444 View Post
I have posted before and we LOVE the thought about Colorado an are 90 percent sure of the move from Florida. Our only reservation is the shock of the cold. Any thoughts?
Just picture yourself living in Minnesota or the Dakotas with 6-8 months of Winter every year, wind chill factors of up to -50º, 8ft of snow on the ground and spending 50% of your income on Lands End's or LL Bean's Winter catalogs. Then the weather in Colorado will seem a piece of cake by comparison.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:10 AM

90 posts, read 635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
Yup, the southern part of the state is getting the snow this time. Next strom may be here on Tuesday...flakes here in Douglas County (south of Denver) are few.

I had a relo client not come in today because of the weather. Their flight was cancelled. If they can get a new flight, they will...otherwise we are hoping they get reschedule in two weeks.
Sigh. My flight was cancelled, too, even though the storm "rerouted". Seems like American Airlines was trying to avoid another PR nightmare of folks trapped, so they got proactive. Some Friday the 13th indeed.

Luckily my husband has my power of attorney for the closing this afternoon, so we'll still be in business.

They've rescheduled me for a later flight so hopefully I'll be there by tonight! (Hubby's 40th birthday is tomorrow and I haven't seen him in a month, so good wishes are appreciated!)

Old 04-13-2007, 11:35 AM

49 posts, read 219,109 times
has it been cloudy and raining a lot recently in denver? i thought that denver was "dry". maybe weather.com is full of it or maybe denver gets most of its precip in spring?

Old 04-13-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bms View Post
And now to winter: The majority of the snowfall on the Front Range falls in November, March, and April (when moisture is more prevalent). It can snow in December, January, and February (it does a lot in the mountains) but it can also be 65+ during these months too.

Colorado can get cold during the winter. It can also get rather warm. I would say Colorado is rather mild, but I guess it depends what you are comparing it to. So, there you go, it does snow but it does usually melt fast.
It certainly can be 65+ at the oddest times.
But don't forget, the past 8 years, the final snow of the season was in May.
I would think that this summer, y'all might not have any watering restrictions.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:51 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,376,989 times
We have lived here, Englewood and Parker, since June of 2002. We moved here from So Calif., but are originally from northeastern Indiana and Detroit, Michigan. So, we already knew what living in winter was like, but we have now gotten tired of the snow that we have seen since moving here. The winters here have now affected our bones and muscles and we they both hurt often. We now longer like the snow, like we use to. I fell on snow/ice last December and had have surgery on my right shoudler.......not fun!! I also had to have a hip replacement done a couple of years ago and the winter weather here can affect that also.
As soon as we can sell our house, we are headed for Charlotte, NC. They only get around 5 inches of snow a year and done have the kind of winters that are here. Yes, it can get humid there, but humidity won't bother us like the cold weather does. When the weather here in Denver was snowy and in the 20's-30's, Charlotte was in the upper 60's. At our age (558/59), the upper 60's is better for us than the 20's-30's that happen here quite a bit in the winter.
So, bottom line: If you don't mind some snow/cold weather, living here will be fine. Just remember, snow/cold season can start here as early as Halloween week and may not end until after Mother's Day.
Good Luck!!!!

Old 04-13-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bms View Post
I would not say it is the climate for those completely opposed to any snow or cold temperatures (try Florida), but it is not a 6 month blizzard as some would describe.
Agreed--quite often Colorado appears to be one long snowstorm when it's not.
It's just that the OP is from southern Florida.
Snow in May and then again in September (like this year) can be a lo-ong slog.

Old 04-13-2007, 06:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
bms:
Quote:
Looking at a map, Colorado is positioned at a latitude with Missouri, Kentucky, Virginia, and Nevada. That is the start of the story. So, we can tell so far that Colorado is not as far north as say Minnesota or North Dakota or even Northern Illinois or Pennsylvania and will not have the same climate.
Actually the 40th parallel runs (w. to e.) through Boulder County, out to Kansas, forms the dividing line between Kansas and Nebraska, through northern Missouri, central Illinois near Champaign, through Indiana near Indianapolis, through Ohio near Columbus, and through southern Pennsylvania to about Philadelphia.

Having lived in Pittsburgh, just north of the 40th, Champaign and Denver, I can say they all have very different climates, Champaign having the hottest summers and the coldest winters, Pittsburgh having cooler summers and winters that are similar in temperature to Denver. Denver's summers are HOT, in my opinion. When it gets much above 90, it's hot regardless of the humidity. Denver's winters are mild overall with some cold days. Pittsburgh is cloudy, rainy and dreary. Champaign is very humid most of the year, and medium sunny. Denver is dry and sunny. It is not a desert, but it's the next category up.

It snowed in Boulder on my daughter's high school graduation day, June 4, 2005.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:03 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,376,989 times
We will say it this way then: NO, Denver isn't Minn., Mich, Indiana, but it is definitely a winter/snow/cold area. People here don't wear winter coats (parka's), buy snow shovels, buy snow blowers and buy ice melt for nothing. We also don't have snow plows running up and down freeways, down streets and through housing developments for nothing. If you don't want to be around this stuff, don't move here to the Denver area. Heck, you might even drive through "white out" conditions where it is snowing so hard that almost all you can see around you is snow flying through the air.
Now, does this sound better???? And, of course the sun does come out during our winter months and the daytime temps may/can go up into the 50's/60's, but that sure doesn't mean winter is over!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver