Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2009, 06:43 PM

16 posts, read 57,528 times

Advertisements

We don't have basements here in CA. All the houses I'm finding in Denver on realtor.com seem so large, I was wondering if CO sq ft includes the basement sq ft?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 06:49 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,427,778 times
There are six fields for square footage in our MLS. total, basement, total finished, and three floors above ground (upper, main, lower.)

Old 07-02-2009, 08:44 PM

357 posts, read 1,286,361 times
lol, yep, the houses are large, esp for the money. one of the reasons, CA folks have moved here.

you will be shocked at how nice and how big they are .

btw, the only place that seemed to have smaller, CA sized homes was in the city of denver, in the older houses.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:38 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,760,647 times
as a CA resident who house hunted in CO, this came up for me as well.

Typically, the two you'll see the most is Total Square Footage, which will include the basement, and Total Finished, which will include any legally finished areas possibly including the basement. Some of the listings will also list the basement square footage as well. Basically, you'll want to look at the Total Finished for your effective square footage, or if you're lucky and the realtor was thorough, take the Total and subtract the basement size for the above ground portion.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:51 PM

16 posts, read 57,528 times
I'll look for the Total Square Footage - thanks!

Old 07-03-2009, 07:01 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,050,601 times
The Colorado system of reporting square footage makes me totally nuts. I wish that all brokers and home sellers were forthright and honest, but during my year of house-hunting, I found lots of discrepancies, and sometimes downright lies, in the records. It was refreshing to find a listing that not only listed square footage accurately, but also had the proper permits for finished basements.

This is a little beyond the scope of the original post, but please make sure that any house with a finished basement you plan to purchase meets building code. Here's a story about a metro area homeowner who got a nasty surprise when attempting to sell her property. Forewarned is forearmed.

Arvada Homes Haunted by Past Due Code Violations

Good luck in your home search.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:11 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,152,225 times
Also be careful when looking at homes with basements. We were on the housing market just a year ago and what some people called basements would likely not pass inspection. Throwing up drywall and installing a few lights and electrical outlets will not make a basement. My neighbor bought a house with a finished basement and has had nothing but trouble. After months of trying to fix things, he finally called in the professionals. The first one that came out declared it a "shame that it passed a housing inspection." Ours is unfinished and a walkout which allows us to use it as storage (and a workout area) and actually use our garage for our cars. We found a house that had all the living space we needed ABOVE ground so the fact we have a basement is just a bonus.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:08 AM

357 posts, read 1,286,361 times
I agree. what we finally did was just finished our own basement. frankly, people here like to "do it themselves."

right.

well some folks don't know their own limitations. they watch a show and figure "hey, I can do that!" well, no, they can't . too many beautiful houses had absolutely crappy "finished" basements. we decided that we'd go with the perfect house upstairs and unfinished basement, hire a basement contractor to finish it (folks here gave me great recommendations) and enjoy. much easier than going in and pulling out the stuff that someone thought was attractive or okay. sometimes that cost more. And if you're moving from CA and own a home there, you'll have money left over when you sell so you can spend that on the basement refinish here .

I also agree about the mixed up numbers for basements. I soon realized they were gibberish in many cases.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:44 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,777,391 times
square footage is the heated part of the house. if the basement is not on central heat then it's not included.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:06 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,661 times
Do home inspectors out there not tell potential buyers if a basement meets code as part of their services? Or is it just that people tend to skip the important step of getting a home inspector prior to closing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: