Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 02:23 PM

206 posts, read 1,079,424 times

Advertisements

THank you all, that is very helpful.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,492,648 times
There are a lot of places in urban Denver to find the tree lines streets. The pollution however is an ever present problem. Denver sits in a valley on the plains. The smog settles over the city so the air quality is not supreme. Is it really bad, absolutely not. But it is not what you would call clean air. If you go to the foothills on any afternoon and look over the city, you will see a brown haze over the area.

Unfortunately, what your looking for doesn't exist. To be in a "happening" location, you have to trade air quality. If you want air quality, you will not be close to town. The choice is up to you. Either way, you'll definitely love it here

Nav

Old 08-25-2009, 06:47 PM

1,536 posts, read 6,092,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheregirl View Post
Thanks. Which are the old neighborhoods in Denver?
Denver Neighborhoods

Denver Neighborhoods

Denver: Neighborhoods - TripAdvisor

Denver CO Neighborhoods

Denver's Most Walkable Neighborhoods - Walk Score Neighborhood Rankings

List of neighborhoods in Denver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-27-2009, 04:24 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,221,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav View Post
There are a lot of places in urban Denver to find the tree lines streets. The pollution however is an ever present problem. Denver sits in a valley on the plains. The smog settles over the city so the air quality is not supreme. Is it really bad, absolutely not. But it is not what you would call clean air. If you go to the foothills on any afternoon and look over the city, you will see a brown haze over the area.

Unfortunately, what your looking for doesn't exist. To be in a "happening" location, you have to trade air quality. If you want air quality, you will not be close to town. The choice is up to you. Either way, you'll definitely love it here

Nav
I would add that the "brown cloud" phenomenon seems endemic to many western cities. I don't know the science of it exactly, but I believe it has to do with temperature inversions trapping pollutants in valleys (or in Denver's case it's almost more of a bowl) and having insufficient air pressure movement to clear it out. Though I've certainly noted smog in cities back east, I can't say I've ever seen the effect quite the same there...though that's by no means a reliable measure.

I wonder myself if cities like Columbus, Cincinnati or Indianapolis have such problems? I've rarely noticed such a problem in Kansas City or Oklahoma City, but Denver seems more dense than either of those two plains cities (in addition to being centered around the Platte River Valley.)

Denver seemed to have just the right amount of tree lined neighborhoods for me, and I rather like the mostly treeless trails. I could see how someone from the East Coast or the Northwest might have some difficulty adjusting, though.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:20 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,061,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
I wonder myself if cities like Columbus, Cincinnati or Indianapolis have such problems?
The short answer is: yes, they do.

As far as the OP and where to live...My neighborhood has shaded, paved trails (great for biking), but it's hardly the place for a young, single female. BTW, how young? Twenties or thirties young? Around here, we're mostly families and retirees, along with a smattering of affluent, techie singletons who work 90 hrs/wk and hire out their house and lawn care.

To help you narrow things down, how about telling us what draws you to Colorado and how you plan to support yourself, because that will have a huge effect on where you'll want to live.

* Are you looking for a house, a condo, or an apartment?
* Will you be working? Where?
* Do you want to live in the city, the suburbs, the country, or the mountains around Denver?
* Besides hiking, what else is important to you? Do you want to be near a university? A hospital? Bars & clubs? A great library or bookstore? Ski slopes? The light rail?
* Are you politically-minded? If so, do you prefer a more liberal or conservative environment?
* Do you want access to trails purely for recreation use or do you plan to use them to go about your daily business? Hiking or biking or both?

Last edited by formercalifornian; 08-27-2009 at 10:40 AM..

Old 08-27-2009, 10:48 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,061,141 times
Okay, I took a look at your other posts, and at this point, I suggest Boulder if you can afford it.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:14 PM

Thank you all, now i am better informed about the neighborhoods of Denver.

So the air quality of Denver is significantly worse than Boulder? Because of the inversion?

Is the winter in Boulder milder than in Denver?

Thanks!

Old 08-27-2009, 04:51 PM

Also, how far do you have to go to get above tree-line, from Denver?

It is not easy, I am looking for an area with lots of trees but without a lot of rain. I like to have some sun, but partly cloudy days are the best, especially if it is cloudy in the morning and sunny in the afternoons. Thanks.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Thank you all, now i am better informed about the neighborhoods of Denver.

So the air quality of Denver is significantly worse than Boulder? Because of the inversion?

Is the winter in Boulder milder than in Denver?

Thanks!
They are about 30 miles apart, at roughly the same elevation. What does that tell you?

Quote:
Also, how far do you have to go to get above tree-line, from Denver?

It is not easy, I am looking for an area with lots of trees but without a lot of rain. I like to have some sun, but partly cloudy days are the best, especially if it is cloudy in the morning and sunny in the afternoons. Thanks.
About 7000 feet in altitude.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:58 PM

670 posts, read 1,174,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
You have posted in many forums on C-D over the last few months, saying you're considering relocating to places as diverse as Seattle, Arkansas, Santa Fe, Connecticut and many more. If the most important factor for you in where you live is tree-shaded trails, Colorado is not a good choice.
I agree! After reading your posts I would say that Colorado would be the least likely place that would fit your requirements.
Definitely no to Boulder. As you stated, there are no friendly people there! Boulder winters are terribly harsh - much worse than Denver. And Boulder air quality is horrendous compared to Denver (cough cough).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver