Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:04 AM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I applaud all people who commute to their work by bike. The Denver metro area has so many trails and encourages bike riding that riding for pleasure is a good activity.

I use to bike ride all over the area, many years ago but unfortunately, I have a severe illness, neurological and arthritic, that makes walking even difficult. However, I try to walk as much as possible and avoid driving. Last week, I used my car only for one trip, less than 1 mile round trip, because I had to pick some heavy items. My car, that I bought new, is over 15 years old and has only 70,000 miles. Last year I drove 2000 miles.

Now, I cannot walk as well but I use a heavy duty wheeled walker/rollator. It is the most amazing walker and with it I can walk to the grocery store about 1/3 mile. Without it, I could only walk about 300-500 feet with a cane and then I am exhausted and in more pain, I am telling you it is wonderful and more people should use them. I have now been able to walk over a mile with the rollator and I want to walk more.

These rollators where invented in the Scandinavian countries about 40 years ago. Now, many people use them, not only the old and disable. They are used by many people for extended walking in the towns and on trails. Some even have snow glides and bigger tires, as some are used for hiking in rougher terrain. But in America, we have this stupid macho attitude that prevents the wider adaptation of these devices.

Here is a link to some European Models:
Trionic Sverige AB | Made for Walking
Om rollator från Volaris. Välj rätt rollator.

and an American Make:
Rolling Walkers - Nova Ortho-Med Carson, CA (800) 557-6682 (http://www.novaortho-med.net/browse.htm?shopBy=4305 - broken link)

I know some of you will have a big laugh at this and I have seen and heard the snickers when I use it. However, it has extended my mobility and I can now walk much farther with comfort and security. It provides the double support from the two sides and gives me confidence to move. Walking with a cane, or two canes, or crutches is just too fatiguing. I now have the confidence to venture out on the buses and trains, when for a while I got depressed and would not walk.

Livecontent
I think it is wonderful you can get around like that. I give you alot of credit for taking the initiative to get out and about. Good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 10:08 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,181,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
So the question is; if your commute is less than 5 miles to work, why do you drive your car?

Because it would not make sense to ride my bike around in circles for several miles just to end up back at my home office in time for work. I do usually ride or run at lunch, or after work, for exercise.

What kind of self-righteous question is that anyways? Can't you just feel virtuous about your own alternative commute choices and not worry about others?

Last edited by treedonkey; 08-31-2009 at 11:20 AM..

Old 08-31-2009, 11:25 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,950 times
I think all of you are getting too excited by the question, which is really a challenge put to you, to get out of your car and try using a bicycle. It is the most economical, healthy means of transit and is used by millions of people everyday.

Obviously we all know that not everybody, everywhere, everyday, every time, can use a bicycle. However, there are those millions of people who have no other choice. We have other choices and it is a blessing and it is also a curse. Yes, some of you will never want to change, but most of us know that change is possible and necessary...yes, we do know that, even if we resist.

Livecontent

Old 08-31-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I think all of you are getting too excited by the question, which is really a challenge put to you, to get out of your car and try using a bicycle. It is the most economical, healthy means of transit and is used by millions of people everyday.

Obviously we all know that not everybody, everywhere, everyday, every time, can use a bicycle. However, there are those millions of people who have no other choice. We have other choices and it is a blessing and it is also a curse. Yes, some of you will never want to change, but most of us know that change is possible and necessary...yes, we do know that, even if we resist.

Livecontent
I'm certain that almost everyone who drives their car to work feels that they have legitimate reasons for doing so. FOR EXAMPLE, even if they live relatively close to work, many would prefer the safety of a heavy steel frame and seatbelts wrapped around them when navigating along busy roads.

I'm also certain that these people realize that bicycles exist and that by riding them regularly they could save fuel and gain fitness. They don't need to be told, and told again, how they could benefit from riding their bikes to work.

If riding a bike or otherwise alternatively commuting to work is doable for you, then great for you.

For me, it's unnecessary, since I work from home full time. When I did commute to an office, I often rode or ran the 10 miles into work, weather permitting, but I did not expect anyone else to. I just figured, if they can, and if they want to, then they will.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:56 PM

664 posts, read 2,065,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveindenver View Post
Get a room already.
You know that riding your bike on the sidewalk is both illegal and dangerous for everyone involved right? Bikes belong on the road and have just as much right to be on the road as cars. Bikes should also follow the rules of the road which includes stopping at red lights and stop signs (at least when traffic is present in my view).
I do know that it is illegal but I don't know that it is more dangerous. What I do know is dangerous is when a bike rides down the lane on very busy street where there is a nice, wide sidewalk/path that runs along it. I'm not talking about a small residential street sidewalk. I'm talking about legitimate thoroughfares. Regardless of the 'law' I respect and appreciate those like Californiabear that will ride on the sidewalk when it is appropriate. There are some roads that bikes can ride on quite safely and others that they simply cannot no matter what anybody says.

If bikes belong on the road I would consider registration fees as well as licensing to make sure the riders are qualified. Bikers who know what they're doing aren't that big a problem, but they have to share with those who don't and that is a hazard! I don't want my kids riding on the road! That's not the same as a biker who rides everyday 10 miles. But sometimes you have to cross/go along a busy road to get to a park, store, etc. If you want to encourage biking, take into account circumstances.

Also when motorized vehicles collide with bikes, the biker always lose (actually the motorist also loses since they have to deal with the guilt, legal and financial ramifications, etc, whether their fault or not). There needs to be a different lane for bikes separate from cars and pedestrians.

If pedestrians and bikes don't mix, then maybe on the trails that are shared bikes shouldn't be on those either since that is like a big sidewalk.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:46 PM

I live very close to Hwy 105 in a small town between Denver and Springs. Many days, especially on the weekends, that road is packed with tight-panted bikers who seem to feel that the highway was made for them and don't seem to understand how sharing it goes both ways.

These guys often ride right in the middle of the road, and expect me to drive behind them indefinitely at cycling speed. What they don't realize is that my desire to pass them quickly is not really out of impatience. If I'm going 20 miles an hour down a two-lane highway with a 50mph speed limit, then I am at great risk of getting rear ended at high speed by drivers rounding the corner behind me. If it's not safe to pass on the left, and if someone is about to ram me from behind then I'll have to take the path of least resistance which is right over the fake-jersey-wearin' doofus in front of me. Sorry, nothing personal.

I'm an avid cyclist, but I confine my rides to three possible routes. That is, in order of preference: 1) Multi-use trails 2) Uncrowded residential streets with plenty of shoulder space 3) Busier streets with bonafide bike lanes.

Even then, just about the only time I take routes 2 or 3 is to get to route 1. I avoid riding along a highway at all cost. In the few rare instances where I've had to ride along busier roads, I pretty much ditch my bike into the dirt and weeds whenever I hear a car approaching. It's kind of a pain but it's a lot better than getting slaughtered by a speeding car or truck.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:40 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,950 times
I think almost all sidewalks should allow bicycles. There is just not that many walkers and the sidewalks are empty. It would be easier and smarter to mark certain sections as "no bicycle access" because of heavy pedestrian traffic than to forbid bicycles from all sidewalks.

Sidewalks are much safer for most people. Obviously we allow children to ride to bikes on sidewalks. We allow seniors to use sidewalks with walkers, motorized wheel chairs, motorized mobility scooters; so why not three wheel and two wheel bicycles. Allowing other people to ride would not entail that much more risk to pedestrian--because, as I said, most sidewalks are empty.

There are many sidewalks that are much wider and they are designed and permitted for pedestrian use and bicycle trail use. Also, all the paved trails have pedestrian and bicycle access. Some, even have dirt trails, alongside, for horses and we there are many dog walkers. So, why not just extend the access to all sidewalks with some restrictions where there is heavy pedestrian traffic.

Yes, I have had problems walking on trails with aggressive bicyclist who do not slow down and are a hazard for pedestrian. It is even more dangerous when I use my rollator because it is much wider and harder to move out of the way. I have had collisions and an expensive bicycle was damaged. His bike was carbon, my rollator is steel and I am solid blubber--but it was his fault and he could not complaint--how can he lay claim on a disabled man using a walker; he was lucky I was not hurt. My biggest problem is some dog walkers who do not use a leash or a leash that is too long. They are the most difficult people and they take offense quickly.

But, overall with all the trails that I have used as a bicyclist, a pedestrian and now a disabled "roller" (I like that, good term, just made it up), I have experienced courtesy and respect among all, and all integrates well enough.

The biggest issue is the bone head parents and children who use these trails with their motorized bicycles, dirt bikes, scooters, mini-scooters. These people will not observe any rules--stupid ignorant people creating stupid ignorant children--that is why I an starting to believe in sterilization.

Livecontent

Old 08-31-2009, 05:01 PM

111 posts, read 257,988 times
In answer to the question, I never learned to ride a bike, and I find this entire thread thoroughly arrogant and prejudiced against all those who are uncyclable! Furthermore, I am 30% cripple as large portions of my left leg and right liver have been damaged due to the recent alcohol outbreak.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I think almost all sidewalks should allow bicycles... So, why not just extend the access to all sidewalks with some restrictions where there is heavy pedestrian traffic.
Easy answer: Because it costs money, LOTS of money, and the every branch of the Gov't is totally broke.

COS is better than most cities in that they do have lots of bike trails and designated bke lanes. Even more reason that cyclists should be judicious and stick to those routes whenever possible.

I agree that people with unleashed dogs are the worst. Second to them are the dolts with ipods who are totally oblivious to where they are and who or what else may be approaching. Haven't seen anyone on motorized vehicles on the trails, but, yeah, that would be lame.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:28 PM

164 posts, read 596,072 times
I saw you out there today riding your bike. You are the black man riding the cruiser (old style not new retro-ized style) North on Broadway near Hampden, right?! I pumped my fist and shouted YESSSS! because of the great insanity of this ride on a serious snow emergency day such as this. Wearing no helmet and hoping to be seen (daring motorists to hit you?) was a victory for cyclists everywhere and the guts factor was through the roof. My cap is tipped.

Keep Pedaling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver