Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 07:50 PM

28 posts, read 81,116 times

Advertisements

I know I've got a few posts running around here, but this is probably the most important question!

If you have lived in Chicago, and I know it's not an apples-to-apples comparison, but how would you rate your quality of life between the 2 cities?

Are you happy with your decision to be here? would you ever go back? What do you miss in Chicago? What about Denver do you love even more?

In case it's not too obvious, I am living in Chicago and strongly considering a move to Denver because I love the outdoors. I love mountains and really connect with nature when I'm out there. I just wish I could be there more than I am now, just wondering if permanent is the way to go.. I think so?

Thanks, Michelle from the Windy City.

Happy Turkey Day!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 09:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
I lived in Champaign, does that count?

PS: I'm glad I"m not there any more.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-25-2009 at 09:47 PM..

Old 11-25-2009, 09:33 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Love Chicago. Love Denver. Would much rather LIVE in Denver though. The weather is no comparison - Denver any day. Same with driving. I will say I miss the "vibe" of Chicago though. One of these days I would like to take my kids. Especially my son who is a Cubs fan. I think for us though, Denver is a good fit. More laid back. Did I mention the weather? And traffic?

Old 11-25-2009, 09:54 PM

694 posts, read 2,652,718 times
Denver is by far more livable.
You have to wonder - where does all of Chicago tax revenue go ?
Certainly not on the public schools, crime prevention or roads.
Denver is clearly superior to Chicago in justifiably spending our tax dollars.
Of course if your in politics or on a public hand out Chicago must be sweet.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:06 PM

87 posts, read 254,049 times
Been here about seven months from Chicago and its respective suburbs...

Denver is slow going when it comes to traffic. Sure, Chicago is a on a greater scale, but Denver is a town compared to Chicago. Traffic here is an issue. I25? Ski traffic? Although, that ski traffic can be justified because of the great resorts/conditions.

One thing amazing about a big city is the amount of culture available. As a music fan, Chicago is tough to beat. To me, only NYC can compare. Denver? They simply don't have the amount of bands rolling through because of it being a smaller market. But I knew this when I skipped town for the west. As an avid cyclist and someone who definitely digs skiing, I figured the music side of me could take a break. It hasn't even been a year, and I'm really struggling with not too many acts rolling through. (Dont' read this as bands don't come through, because I've seen a few of my favorite acts here)

If you want to get out with nature, and have patience sharing the trails with everyone like yourself, give Denver a try. The conditions, elevation, and plethora of terrain has put me in the best shape of my life.

The worst? You trek back to Chicago, if Colorado isn't you. TBD if Denver will become my new home...

Old 11-26-2009, 07:34 AM

94 posts, read 184,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I lived in Champaign, does that count?

PS: I'm glad I"m not there any more.

I am also from Champaign and glad to not be there anymore.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:53 PM

549 posts, read 1,559,989 times
I've lived in both. They have some similarities at some levels. Chicago's a lot bigger, of course, but they are both young cities that seem "up and coming"; they both have a very good sports environment; they both have good restaurants; both cities have a lively downtown; and Denver's light rail, in the way that it goes downtown, approximates Chicago's "L" as a good public transit option.

Chicago's bigger on all levels, though. Bigger architecture. Better museums. Better and more varied restaurants. Larger downtown. More dense.

It sort of depends on what you like. If you like really dense, urban downtowns, with that sort of New York feel, lots of museums and tremendous cultural opportunities, and don't mind freezing cold and a lack of scenery, you'll like Chicago. If you like a lively downtown but with more space to breathe - more of an LA or Phoenix feel - with a slightly less cultural base and slightly less major museums, and don't mind cold but don't like frigid, and like mountains, you'll like Denver. Both are terrific cities, in my opinion. Certainly Denver would be one of my top cities to move to outside of Chicago.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:39 AM

Thanks, Ive been in Chicago my entire life and ready for a change. I have a potential job opportunity that I sought out specifically so it would take me to Colorado. I have heard a lot about LoHi and will be checking out some homes the weekend after I finalize the details with the job. I've heard LoHi is probably as close as you can get to a Chicago-feel as far as neighborhood.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:16 PM

87 posts, read 254,049 times
Why not just go all in and move to a neighborhood the opposite of Chicago? You are ready for a change, no?

Old 11-29-2009, 10:34 AM

True Aliens, and I appreciate that. I think as much as I am eager for a change, I need some familiarity as I'm definitely an urbanite that loves the city feel, it's just different now because there are mountains close by . I think moving to another state is going to be a pretty huge culture shock alone so if I maintain some of that urban feel, then I'll love it even more. If I had my way I'd love to live in Chicago forever and just be an hour away from the mountains by car. That would just be too perfect wouldn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver