Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 06:35 PM

26 posts, read 94,644 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this is well-covered territory, but I'm doing research on Denver neighborhoods and could stand a few more opinions. I've made several visits to Denver and the mountains over the past few years, and what seemed like a crazy impulse is now turning into an exciting reality - moving from St Louis to Denver. And I'm trying to figure out which part of the greater Denver area is going to be the best match for me.

I'm 41, male and single. I'm athletic and physically active in skiing, hockey, and running (hence the appeal of Denver). Right now I live in a very dull suburb, filled with retirees and low-income blue collar families, and it really isn't a good fit for me. While I can respect that quiet down-to-earth Midwestern ethic, and value the safety and lower crime rate, living in a rusting neighborhood with a hundred Hank Hill clones and their toddlers isn't where I want to be.

I love the idea of a more culturally rich area, of having coffee shops and restaurants and the arts within walking, or easy driving distance. I also want to be able to hop on my bike or slip on my sneakers, and head out the front door for an hour's exercise. Now, this may automatically sound like "downtown" but I don't know how safe downtown Denver is. While I'm sure it's better than the Crackhouse Paradise that is downtown St Louis, but I place a high value on being able to park my car, come back two hours later, and find it still there (with windows intact). And I've heard that downtown Denver has recently experienced some gang violence. I'm not biased against the suburbs, not at all. But if I chose the suburbs, I'd prefer a suburb filled with skilled, degreed professionals.

So ... where should I be looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 08:47 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Highlands, Sloan's Lake, Morrison, Stapleton, Golden...

Where is work?

Old 11-28-2009, 08:38 PM

Working on two possibilities. One in the DTC, and one in Boulder. I'm guessing the DTC is very suburb-y. Obviously dozens of nice things are said about Boulder, but I'm concerned that it's for 20-somethings.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:00 PM

57 posts, read 138,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteloon View Post
Working on two possibilities. One in the DTC, and one in Boulder. I'm guessing the DTC is very suburb-y. Obviously dozens of nice things are said about Boulder, but I'm concerned that it's for 20-somethings.
Keep in mind that Boulder is not a suburb of Denver, nor is it a practical commute to Denver for work. So if Boulder is a possibility, you might want to limit your job search to the Boulder area as well.

Best wishes, I will be moving to Denver as soon as my condo sells in Illinois!

Old 11-29-2009, 04:54 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,013 times
Definitely downtown Denver. It's the hippest part of the city. And despite the recent stories, it's very safe. If you want a house (vs. a condo) Highlands, Capitol Hill or Wash Park are all nice and close to downtown but can be pricey. Boulder is nice but mostly college kids and rich middle aged hippies and its a 30+ mile commute to Denver. I'd suggest renting a place downtown first (Lodo, Capitol Hill, Ballpark) and get a feel for the areas you like.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:03 PM

28 posts, read 81,068 times
I'm also single / almost 40 (female) and moving from the midwest - Chicago to be exact. I've also been looking for very similar feedback and while I haven't made up my mind yet, I am particularly drawn to the LoHi (Lower Highlands) area. I hear it has an urban feel yet not popping with 20-somethings. I've also heard Capitol Hill is really nice and I've visited before but not sure it's for me as it's almost too close to downtown. I'll keep watching this thread to see where you land. I'll be visiting Denver in a few weeks to start scouting for neighborhoods so I'll let you know what I think if you are interested. Bye bye midwest winters - HELLO MOUNTAINS!!!

Old 11-29-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncmaster414 View Post
Keep in mind that Boulder is not a suburb of Denver, nor is it a practical commute to Denver for work. So if Boulder is a possibility, you might want to limit your job search to the Boulder area as well.

Best wishes, I will be moving to Denver as soon as my condo sells in Illinois!
Thanks for the warm wishes! I'm aware of the distance between Boulder and Denver; one of my job leads is in Boulder, and the other one's in the DTC. So if I land the Boulder job, I'll obviously look in Boulder. In a sense, that makes the search a little more straightforward. If I get the job in the DTC, I have a little more homework to do.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:15 PM

I've noticed a few names that keep popping up in this thread and others - Capitol Hill, Cherry Creek, and Washington Park, to name a few. They all cluster together on the same area of the map; downtown or just southeast of downtown, bordered by I-25 and Lowry Air Force Base. Is it safe to assume that I should focus my search on this area? Although I must say I've also seen several recommendations for Highland, West Highland, and Sloan Lake, which is just on the other side of I-25 downtown. Is I-25 any kind of a significant "border"? i.e., a delineating line between the "right side of the tracks" and the "wrong side of the tracks"?

Old 11-30-2009, 07:59 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,528,373 times
I would suggest Cap. Hill. or Uptown if you like older established areas or Cherry Creek if you like new urban. Highlands may be good also. Either way, you will meet diverse people and won't suffer in traffic to go everywhere. Denver's Most Walkable Neighborhoods - Walk Score Neighborhood Rankings gives a good overview of which areas are car dependent.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:43 AM

360 posts, read 1,126,338 times
I-25 is not on the other side of the tracks as you put it. It is barely an inconvenience. Over Thanksgiving weekend, I walked the 6 mile r/t from Lodo, up 16th Street footbridges over 25 and although it was uphill leaving downtown it's not that bad. I then strolled through the LoHi and Highlands area (I understand Highlands to be at 32nd Ave/Lowell and LoHi around 32nd and Tejon). Anyhow, most of the walk was great, there are some iffy spots mainly on 32nd prior to Federal, but the area around Irving, Lowell on 32nd are what you are looking for. Coffee shops, pizzerias, bars, places to eat, it's all there.

On the other hand, if you commute up to Bldr or DTC, you are just a few miles from Union Station where you can either do a BX (Boulder Express) bus or take the S.E. light rail. Plus it's a great workout from Lodo up to the Highlands, you can do it on bike for sure. I will post some of my pics here from the visit as soon as I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver