Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 02:21 PM

792 posts, read 2,875,477 times

Advertisements

Anyone have thoughts on the older (35-45) singles population in Denver?

I'm a 42 year old guy, single, and have an opportunity to relocate to either Nashville or Denver. I've traveled to both several times and I think I could be happy in either. Top priority for me (at last!) is settling down.

So...is Denver a great city for the 35+ guy looking to date and marry? Or, does the gender imbalance the census shows make the competition fierce for older guys - as posters have suggested it does for younger?

Anyone lived (or dated) in both places and have an opinion?

About me: professional, liberal, and like both music and the outdoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 03:16 PM

11,832 posts, read 34,451,143 times
Not enough to go on.

Nashville has an edge in the music scene.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:50 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,785,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
We're "older?"

Quote:
So...is Denver a great city for the 35+ guy looking to date and marry? Or, does the gender imbalance the census shows make the competition fierce for older guys - as posters have suggested it does for younger?
My impression is that it's not "great." Seems like it might lean towards "slightly difficult" due to the layout of the city, the overall mentality of people, and the gender imbalance.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:42 PM

11,832 posts, read 34,451,143 times
The thing about older guys (men over 40) is all women over 20 are potential mates. With Women over 40, suddenly - our prospects are seemingly much older.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:38 PM

286 posts, read 699,878 times
Default Lukin for Sum Trooful Ansers about Relokatin

Okay, I’m from Nashville. Down here education isn’t a “real big deal” so forgive me if I ask some dumb questions. I’m looking to relocate to Denver. Some other places I’m considering: Seattle, SF, and Raleigh. Got a few questions:

1) How prevalent is the outdoorsy thing? I like skiing as much as the next guy, but I’m not looking to base a social life around being outdoors. I’ve lived in cities where the social scene is based around one activity. In the South, it’s SEC football. Occasionally, it’s fun. Every Saturday, it’s lame. I’m looking to get away from that mentality. Thoughts?

2) Is Denver a singles town? I enjoy the singles life: mixing, mingling, the occasional tomfoolery. Is Denver a town of young, fun professionals? Or is it a town of old college friends from Colorado U who “go way back”? If you’re single and 35, do you still have things to do?

3) On that note, what are the girls like? The girls in Nashville are so very, very hot and so very, very dumb. Seriously, if I had a nickel for everytime I listened to a bimbo blab about her church….Actually, if that were the case, I would stay here and rake in the cash. But anyway, are Denver girls pretty smart? Because smart girls make Gigantor arise. ARISE! ARISE!

4) Do you guys get a lot of Teach-for-America/Nols/I’m-here-to-find-myself type people? Seriously, I’ve had enough organic coffee. It’s the suxor.

5) How is the music scene? Particularly Jazz. Or blues. I can play a mean slide.

Anyway, I say thanks in advance. Judging by various online lists and youtube videos, you have a wonderful city. Plus, I dig the average of 245 days of clear to partly clear days per year you have. That should help my S.A.D.

Last edited by mcredux; 03-12-2010 at 11:23 PM..

Old 03-12-2010, 11:03 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcredux View Post
Is Denver a singles town? I enjoy the singles life: mixing, mingling, the occasional tomfoolery. Is Denver a town of young, fun professionals? Or is it a town of old college friends from Colorado U who “go way back”? If you’re single and 35, do you still have things to do?
Yeah, the tetragenarians generally genuflect in Gen previous X antique shops, clutching their coffee mugs and walking sticks

Old 03-15-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
From what I hear it's okay. Fair to middlin. The fish aren't going to throw themselves into the pan, but with some effort and work you can catch a few.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcredux View Post
1) How prevalent is the outdoorsy thing?
Extremely prevalent. Most of the people who move here, especially in the 30-50 yo range, do it for the outdoors.

Quote:
I like skiing as much as the next guy, but I’m not looking to base a social life around being outdoors.
I think you'll find that a lot of people here do in fact, base their social life around the outdoors activities.

Quote:
I’ve lived in cities where the social scene is based around one activity. In the South, it’s SEC football. Occasionally, it’s fun. Every Saturday, it’s lame. I’m looking to get away from that mentality. Thoughts?
Denver has enough of a variety of things going on to where there's other options besides the outdoors. It depends on which crowd you fall in with.

Quote:
3) On that note, what are the girls like? The girls in Nashville are so very, very hot and so very, very dumb.
A lot of girls in Denver (and colorado) are athletic and intelligent as a whole. Their looks are the type of good looks that come from being healthy and active. More of the natural look as they don't use a lot of makeup.

Quote:
5) How is the music scene? Particularly Jazz. Or blues. I can play a mean slide.
As one fellow musician to another, it's not that good. There's not much venue for performing musicians. The people in Denver don't make a habit of going out to see live music.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:54 PM

13 posts, read 33,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
The thing about older guys (men over 40) is all women over 20 are potential mates. With Women over 40, suddenly - our prospects are seemingly much older.
LOL...I'm right there with ya 2bindenver! I haven't reached the over 40 part, but even with "over 30" that quote rings true

Old 03-15-2010, 04:17 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,853,584 times
Seattle - very outdoory

SF - extremely crunchy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
View detailed profiles of: