Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:49 AM

33 posts, read 118,386 times

Advertisements

Our child was born Oct 5 and I understand that the Kindergarten/1st cutoff is Oct 1 (gotta put a line in the sand somewhere). And I also understand that children must be 6 by Oct 1 for 1st grade registration. In other states parents with children born in Oct-Dec have the option to get around this by sending their children to a private and accredited kindergarten when they are 5 and then enroll in 1st grade even though they may not be 6 yet (but will be shortly). Does anyone know if Douglas County accepts this for children who are not 6 by Oct 1 for 1st grade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 08:13 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
Schools FAQ

I would enroll your child in a local preschool program. Forget the grade the child is in, think about the learning they are doing.

My birthday is the 17th of October - I know what it is like to be one of the younger ones. I graduated when I was 17 and college when I was 21.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogs4vt View Post
Our child was born Oct 5 and I understand that the Kindergarten/1st cutoff is Oct 1 (gotta put a line in the sand somewhere). And I also understand that children must be 6 by Oct 1 for 1st grade registration. In other states parents with children born in Oct-Dec have the option to get around this by sending their children to a private and accredited kindergarten when they are 5 and then enroll in 1st grade even though they may not be 6 yet (but will be shortly). Does anyone know if Douglas County accepts this for children who are not 6 by Oct 1 for 1st grade?
Call the district and ask them.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:04 PM

619 posts, read 2,199,136 times
From the district's website...

Q: What are Douglas County School District’s entrance age requirements?
A: A child may enter kindergarten if he/she is five years on or before October 1 of the year of enrollment, consistent with the current Colorado Department of Education pupil count date. A child may be enrolled in first grade if he/she is six years of age on or before Oct 1 of the year of enrollment.
Students who do not meet the entrance age requirement, shall be accepted into the grade they have been attending upon moving into the District. Official documentation from the previous school is required.

Certainly sounds like they need to actually be attending first grade already in order to avoid the district cutoffs...

Old 03-08-2010, 06:55 AM

We don't know anyone in this situation... did you find it challenging to be one of the youngest in your class? For you personally, if you had a chance to do it over again, would you have waited a year and been the oldest (I could see that also having challenges (like the first the drive and everyone hitching rides, etc.))? We're not sold on either way yet and have a year before we need to decide... our child is already in preschool now and will move to pre-K when she is 4 soon.. and then we'll need to decide if we want to hold her another year or find a private kindergarten. I dont see her struggling academically at all (I mean with things like learning colors, numbers, letters, etc.) so I think it will just be more of a hunch and considering life-lessons like yours... appreciate your insight!

Old 03-08-2010, 07:57 AM

619 posts, read 2,199,136 times
As an educator, I've seen kids who have been "too old" for their grade b/c their parents tried to give them a leg up by waiting an extra year, and I've seen kids who have been "too young" for their grade, b/c their parents adhered to the guidelines too strictly.

This is a decision that you need to make for you child, and your child only. There are horror stories on both ends of the spectrum, and success stories too. I suspect that by mid-year, next year, you and her pre-K teacher will have a very good idea whether or not she'll be ready for the academic and social challenges of K.

(Not trying to sound like a know-it-all here, just wanted to offer you some solace. I really do think the decision will become clear as you get closer to decision-making time, and her teacher will be a big help then too! There's just no "one-size-fits-all" answer on this one. )

Old 03-08-2010, 08:21 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogs4vt View Post
We don't know anyone in this situation... did you find it challenging to be one of the youngest in your class? For you personally, if you had a chance to do it over again, would you have waited a year and been the oldest (I could see that also having challenges (like the first the drive and everyone hitching rides, etc.))? We're not sold on either way yet and have a year before we need to decide... our child is already in preschool now and will move to pre-K when she is 4 soon.. and then we'll need to decide if we want to hold her another year or find a private kindergarten. I dont see her struggling academically at all (I mean with things like learning colors, numbers, letters, etc.) so I think it will just be more of a hunch and considering life-lessons like yours... appreciate your insight!
My daughter's birthday is in the middle of October so she is one of the oldest in her 1st grade class (she turned 7 ahead of every kid but one). She was well prepared for Kindergarten when the time came and has been doing great academically and most importantly, socially.

I volunteer in her class every week and I HAVE noticed a few kids who are struggling. Not only are they having a hard time doing the work but it seems like they are always being disciplined because of their inability to focus or work in a group. The three that I am talking about have the same thing in common. All have birthdays in August or September which means they started Kindergarten (we do year-round school so classes start in July) at age 4 and 1st grade at age 5.

All kids are different but remember that school only builds on itself. Kindergarten IS a time for learning but the most important thing they do in Kindergarten is social interaction and discipline. It's the time that the kids understand that no matter how much they want to color, it's time to do math instead. That just because there is a great book in the reading nook doesn't mean you can just get out of your seat during class to read it.

Only you know if your daughter is ready. My birthday is in August so I was one of the youngest in class. I didn't have any trouble in school or college. The only thing I remember being annoyed with was that I got my driver's license a lot later than any of my friends!

Old 03-08-2010, 08:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mczabe View Post
As an educator, I've seen kids who have been "too old" for their grade b/c their parents tried to give them a leg up by waiting an extra year, and I've seen kids who have been "too young" for their grade, b/c their parents adhered to the guidelines too strictly.

This is a decision that you need to make for you child, and your child only. There are horror stories on both ends of the spectrum, and success stories too. I suspect that by mid-year, next year, you and her pre-K teacher will have a very good idea whether or not she'll be ready for the academic and social challenges of K.

(Not trying to sound like a know-it-all here, just wanted to offer you some solace. I really do think the decision will become clear as you get closer to decision-making time, and her teacher will be a big help then too! There's just no "one-size-fits-all" answer on this one. )
I'm not a teacher, but I'm a pediatric nurse and I"ve studied education for years. I agree with the above. In general, I think kids should be in the grade they should be in for their age. I too know horror stories from kids held back and accelerated (mostly the latter).

Old 03-08-2010, 08:49 AM

Thank you all for your insights... this is really new territory for us and we're afraid of making the wrong decision for her (either way we go she will either be really old or really young for her grade). But working with her teacher next year to make the decision together based on where she is socially and academically is sound advice. I do appreciate it!

Old 03-08-2010, 10:43 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,110 times
Our son's birthday is October - so he's one of the older ones in his class. He is 16.

As far as worrying about pressure when they are older because they are driving first, etc. Two things - first, there is no rule they have to start driving at that age and if you feel your child isn't mature enough, then hold back on them getting their license. It's not terribly easy anyway to have that license on the 16th birthday anyway. Our son was able to because he took drivers ed before he turned 15.

Second, a lot of that is more from your parenting and expectations then just the age. Our son has to pay for his own insurance, gas, etc. If he were to get caught with someone else in the car, any fines he would have to pay, any increase in insurance, and of course, he wouldn't have that license for awhile. Make them more accountable and have skin in the game so to speak.

So in other words, I wouldn't make a decision now based on worries when your child becomes a teen. Cross those bridges when you get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver