Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 12:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,011 times

Advertisements

I am moving from my native Minnesota, a land that I love for it's natural beauty. I am looking at either Brighton or Broomfield--which is better?

I love greenery and need daily access to nature trails--I am looking forward to the mild climate as well. Just have no idea which outer suburb to move into. We need to commute to Commerce City for my husbands job, but I hate city-living. Have two school age kids as well.

Any suggestions are helpful as I know very little about the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 12:33 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,444,507 times
Broomfield is very suburban from what I've seen of it. I've never been to Brighton but given it location on the edge of the Denver metro, it should be even more exurban to rural. Nowhere in the Denver area has the greenery of the upper Midwest or east coast. The good news is that there's very low humidity and less bugs.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:25 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,305,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegreenpants View Post
I am moving from my native Minnesota, a land that I love for it's natural beauty. I am looking at either Brighton or Broomfield--which is better?

I love greenery and need daily access to nature trails--I am looking forward to the mild climate as well. Just have no idea which outer suburb to move into. We need to commute to Commerce City for my husbands job, but I hate city-living. Have two school age kids as well.

Any suggestions are helpful as I know very little about the area.
The front range doesn't have "greenery" (except for artificially planted trees) and the climate is not exactly "mild" either. If you love the lakes and forests of Minnesota, you probably are not going to like the front range. This is basically Kansas, but with a mountain view.

Two parts of Brighton-- the old part which is basically an old farm town turned ghetto-- and a new part which is pure suburbia. Housing in Brighton costs less than Broomfield, commute to Commerce City is about the same mileage wise-- through I-76 is probably a little less congested than US-36/270. Living in Brighton you would be much farther away from metropolitan amenities, shopping, etc. I'm no real estate expert, but I think Broomfield probably has better opportunity for long term appreciation, being perfectly situated in between Denver and Boulder and close to major job centers, whereas Brighton may start declining once it gets old.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,691 times
Broomfield. Theres a lot more things for you and your children to do near broomfield- malls, amusement parks, etc. Brightons kinda out in the middle of nowhere in farm land. Whereas Broomfield is suburbia.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:25 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,215,221 times
Broomfield for sure. And it's much greener than Brighton and a lot prettier, it's closer to the mountains.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:27 PM

49 posts, read 142,751 times
neither
Brighton is up in the farm lands, lots of illegals up there working the
farms, Broomfield is pretty far from Commerce city for commuting to
work, I would recommend Thornton or Northglenn.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:04 PM

664 posts, read 2,066,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Two parts of Brighton-- the old part which is basically an old farm town turned ghetto-- and a new part which is pure suburbia. Housing in Brighton costs less than Broomfield, commute to Commerce City is about the same mileage wise-- through I-76 is probably a little less congested than US-36/270. Living in Brighton you would be much farther away from metropolitan amenities, shopping, etc. I'm no real estate expert, but I think Broomfield probably has better opportunity for long term appreciation, being perfectly situated in between Denver and Boulder and close to major job centers, whereas Brighton may start declining once it gets old.
The answer depends on where in Commerce City and where in Brighton. If you're working in the northern part of Commerce City (say 112th and US 85) you're quite close to the southern parts of Brighton. What about the newer parts of Commerce City? You would still be way out there and some of the areas are popular with some people on these boards - Reunion and others. Commerce City is a big area.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:18 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,305,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilicheesefries View Post
The answer depends on where in Commerce City and where in Brighton. If you're working in the northern part of Commerce City (say 112th and US 85) you're quite close to the southern parts of Brighton. What about the newer parts of Commerce City? You would still be way out there and some of the areas are popular with some people on these boards - Reunion and others. Commerce City is a big area.
Very true. I did a photo tour a few weeks ago of Commerce City (both the old and new areas), Brighton, and US-85 up to Greeley. I can upload it online if there's an interest.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Very true. I did a photo tour a few weeks ago of Commerce City (both the old and new areas), Brighton, and US-85 up to Greeley. I can upload it online if there's an interest.
Sure, I'd like to see it. A few decades ago, I was a visiting nurse in CC. Saw the good, the bad, and the ugly of that day.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:20 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,399,660 times
I would choose Brighton. It is closer to Commerce City and the commute is bad from Broomfield.

I have been to Brighton, many times. It is the county seat of Adams County. The area around Brighton is growing and has tremendous economic opportunities. In addition, it has benefited from the airport location.

The City of Brighton is not as some posters allege. It is a farming community that is merging into a good size warehousing and administrative center in Adams County which is one the fastest growing counties in this State. The people are diverse with Ranchers, Farmers, a good Hispanic population and a Japanese ethnic influence which helped develop the agriculture of the area. It has a new hospital; RTD call n' Ride bus service; great recreational trails, parks and waterways nearby. It has older areas that are being renewed with new planned neighborhood.

An indication of the growth is that Kaiser has announced the planned expansion into Brighton.
A major medical provider does not do that if there are just poor, unemployed and illegal--they go where there is money to pay for services.

Brighton is truly a small city on the Great Plains that is close enough to Denver to have access to those amenities, but still can maintain a separate identity of an authentic real hard working Colorado City versus a bedroom community of fluff and pretensions. The perception of some posters is tarnished by their lack of familiarity with that type of environment. They prefer the urban/suburban amenities and glitter. They fail to see that there is much value in Great Plains Living; and do not want to see, know, experience or even acknowledge real Colorado.

I grew up on the Great Lakes, near Buffalo. I know what you will see as good, and I know what you will see as bad, but you will need to widen your view. I have learned to love the difference in the land and the people of Colorado. You must accept the dry, semi arid land and appreciate the great Hispanic Culture. If you cannot then you will not be happy and it would be best to stay where you are; for you do not choose Colorado, it chooses you.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 07-01-2010 at 11:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver