Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 11:27 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times

Advertisements

Actually Iowa is one of the few states who will come and get your a$$, doesn't matter what state your in.

When I was 20 or so I got into some trouble in Florida, nothing serious, but I had a FTA warrant in Iowa for driving under suspension and I ended up in a van headed for Iowa.

Got to Iowa, got sentenced to 120 days, but was able to pay my fines and got out after a few days. The whole thing was a mess tho'. Lost my job in Fla. The van ride was miserable. Had to call family members to pay my fines. Sucked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 11:31 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,611,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
What happens if I go in court and plead the broke case. Tell them I have no job, no source of imcome, ect, and no way to pay the tickets. This is actually basically the truth... then what would they do?

They'll work with you for a long time. My mistake was the failure to appear. Once that happened I was finished, had to pay in full or do jail time... They'll take $5 dollars a week. They don't want to put you in jail and feed you, house you etc. But Iowa don't play.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:48 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Your problem isn't your tickets; it's your pattern of irresponsible behavior. And rest assured, the results of that behavior will plague you as long as it continues, whatever happens with these tickets.

I've gotten my share of tickets, but I always take care of them. My philosophy is, why make a small problem a big one. The fact that you're poised to move halfway across the country because of traffic tickets shows the absurdity of the whole situation. You've turned a small problem into a big one, and all the moving costs and the dislocation that comes with it will cost you a lot more than the tickets ever will.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:21 PM

52 posts, read 125,775 times
Quote:
I just received about 900 dollars in tickets from a Des Moines police officer. The tickets are for driving while under suspension, driving an unsafe vehicle, and no insurance. I live and Des Moines, and have an suspended Iowa license. There's no way I'm paying all these tickets on top of the others I have. I'm not going to appear in court, I'm just going to skip town. When I fail to appear in court, they'll issue a warrant for my arrest. I will be halfway across the country, will they be able to do anything to me legally?
Congratulations on your wonderful logic, and screwing up the rest of your life.......But then again, you've already decided to be a scoflaw, not having a license, driving while barred, no insurance, driving an unsafe vehicle.

Don't try to make plans for a happy life cause you're already headed down the road to prison.........It's just a matter of time

Old 07-11-2010, 07:32 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Start your life anew in a more progressive city with a great light rail/mass transit system like Dallas, L.A., Portland, Denver, Salt Lake City Or the Bay area, and they're not going to discover you riding a bus or light rail train, ever.

I sympathasize when anyone, living anywhere, dependent on such a primitive mode of transportation as an automobile.

Shuck the whole of idea of ever owning another vehicle, join others who have done likewise and live happily ever after! Then you can smile every time you see someone pulled over by the police from your train or bus window, as you recently left a bar with a blood alcohol level of .20.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:54 PM

314 posts, read 547,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Start your life anew in a more progressive city with a great light rail/mass transit system like Dallas, L.A., Portland, Denver, Salt Lake City Or the Bay area, and they're not going to discover you riding a bus or light rail train, ever.

I sympathasize when anyone, living anywhere, dependent on such a primitive mode of transportation as an automobile.

Shuck the whole of idea of ever owning another vehicle, join others who have done likewise and live happily ever after! Then you can smile every time you see someone pulled over by the police from your train or bus window, as you recently left a bar with a blood alcohol level of .20.
This. I've blown 20K on cars in the past 4 year and have nothing to show for it. I never want to look at another car again. Repairs, insurance, price of buying the freakin' thing.. just shoot me. I'm staying my behind in NYC and riding the train, that's where I belong.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
They'll work with you for a long time. My mistake was the failure to appear. Once that happened I was finished, had to pay in full or do jail time... They'll take $5 dollars a week. They don't want to put you in jail and feed you, house you etc. But Iowa don't play.
This sounds like my best bet. However, I want to go back home to New York in any case. My court date is August 10th, I'll be gone by then. Can I call them. tell them my situation and get an earlier court date?

Old 07-12-2010, 08:09 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
Quote:
This. I've blown 20K on cars in the past 4 year and have nothing to show for it. I never want to look at another car again. Repairs, insurance, price of buying the freakin' thing.. just shoot me. I'm staying my behind in NYC and riding the train, that's where I belong.
I left Minneapolis in 1993, lived for years without a car, moved to the SW in 1993 and have never adjusted to the idea of owning a car.

I'm just a couple years to retirement, I'm doing massive research of where to retire without having a car, and once I move there I'll donate the proceeds of the sale of my car to a light rail system.

I've ridden the rails in NYC, with a 7-day $25 unlimited subway pass, and if that isn't heaven, what is?

You've gone thru the unspeakable hell of dealing with cars, time to go back to heaven! It's so encouraging, to see city after city in this country embracing light rail. If only Las Vegas had some brains! No light rail system planned here!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:52 PM

You're telling me. 80 bucks a month Unlimited card in NYC. Cost of transportation 960 a year... To hell with a car. NYC honestly isn't even that expensive when you factor in that you don't have to drive in the city.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:43 PM

3 posts, read 5,769 times
Just show up for court and explain your situation with money. I'm sure you'll be able to do community service or they will put you on a payment plan. I got a DUI and my fine was 1500. I paid 90/month until paid off. Unless you want to go to jail, which you will eventually if you do nothing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines