Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,394 times

Advertisements

Is there a helpful site for Des Moines local music? I am artist who has moved from Denver to the DM area in the last few months and am trying to locate venues, show listings, and other musicians to start my own project. I have tried craigslist, but it seems this is a very dead end (though very helpful in other cities I have lived in) and I thought maybe I was just missing something. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 11:47 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,352,491 times
Yes, you need to checkout the Des Moines Music Coalition. Get to know those involved in the coalition and you'll make most the contacts you need. Also, owner of the Vaudeville Mews Vaudeville Mews - Downtown Des Moines, IA - Live music venue and Bar
, Amedeo Rossi, is big driver behind the music scene in DM and knows all the who's, who.

Home

DM is small enough city that you'll be able to get well connected without to much effort. Good luck!

Old 05-31-2012, 02:54 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,301,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingoodcompany View Post
Is there a helpful site for Des Moines local music? I am artist who has moved from Denver to the DM area in the last few months and am trying to locate venues, show listings, and other musicians to start my own project. I have tried craigslist, but it seems this is a very dead end (though very helpful in other cities I have lived in) and I thought maybe I was just missing something. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
A good place to look is Juice, Cityview, and Datebook.

What kind of music do you play, and what instrument? I know several musicians here.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,203 times
My boyfriend and I just moved here from Denver too. If you ever want to hang out let me know. Still trying to get to know people here. And if you hear anything on the music front please let us know!

Trent and Melissa

Old 07-24-2012, 05:05 PM

18,221 posts, read 25,871,803 times
One suggestion here would be to check out Des Moines long standing CD/Vinyl store-ZZZ Records. Nate is the owner of the store and while he might not be promoting any local bands, I'll bet ya he knows some of the bands themselves. The store has been in the biz for a long time and if anyone could steer you in the right direction I'll bet Nate would be one of them.

He also promotes the Des Moines Record/CD swap meet at the Holiday Inn off Interstate 235 (1050 6th ave.) He has them at that location three times a year I believe. I got to know Nate by attending one of those shows, and he gets a good crowd in there too!

Hope you can make connections-good luck!

Old 07-26-2012, 01:14 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,757,439 times
I think it depends on your style. There is definitely a certain style that you find among local musicians, and you may fit right in. Usually some Dave Matthews sounding band with a mix of indie rock/banjo hybrid. I've never heard an actual song by "The Nadas", but I know they exemplify the Des Moines sound. Looks like they are alt-rock-country. I wasn't too far off.

Same with local artists...at least 90% of them are going for a Warhol-theme. There's just not much variety in Des Moines.

Old 07-26-2012, 04:57 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,301,155 times
There are a good variety of cover bands out there from classic rock to 80's party music to metal. Places like The Hull Avenue Tavern, Mickey's in Waukee, Down Under, Sudsuckers, Thirsty Sportsman, Bourbon Street, etc etc have bands every weekend. There are also places that are venues geared toward more local original bands and places for national acts like The Gas Lamp and Wooly's. And this time of year you can hear live music nearly every night of the week with events like Zoo Brew on Wednesday, Valley Junction farmer's market on Thursdays, Friday Fest or Friday's at the Fountain, and even the music at Jordan Creek town center on Sundays among others. There are also festivals like Summer fest in Ankeny or the sweet corn fest in Adel.

And the fair is just around the corner! More opportunity to see local bands there!

There's much more than the Nadas and bands like them here. As I said, I know many musicians in this town and I am pretty familiar with where they play.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:30 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,352,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
I think it depends on your style. There is definitely a certain style that you find among local musicians, and you may fit right in. Usually some Dave Matthews sounding band with a mix of indie rock/banjo hybrid. I've never heard an actual song by "The Nadas", but I know they exemplify the Des Moines sound. Looks like they are alt-rock-country. I wasn't too far off.

Same with local artists...at least 90% of them are going for a Warhol-theme. There's just not much variety in Des Moines.
A bit ironic that you've never heard even one song from Des Moines' most assessible local band, the Nadas, but yet you seem to claim to have some insight on the local music scene.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:58 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,280,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcbroom View Post
My boyfriend and I just moved here from Denver too. If you ever want to hang out let me know. Still trying to get to know people here. And if you hear anything on the music front please let us know!

Trent and Melissa
I've got a friend who runs a recording studio in Denver, it sounds like Denver has a pretty vibrant and varied music scene from the updates he sends me. He mostly works with bands that are a little heavier than Slayer, but he's talked to me a few times about coming out and recording some acoustic bluegrassy stuff. I think he's trying to position himself as Denver's answer to Rick Rubin.

Anyway, the Des Moines music scene is pretty varied, but I'll agree with those who have said that many of the original bands play a sort of country/rock hybrid, probably the result of growing up listening to a combination of Metallica and Hank Williams, Jr.

The Nadas are great, there's a trio known as Hollywood Burnout that used to be a duo known as Little Mojo, I always loved hearing them but haven't seen them in their current form. Langer/Hayes is a lot of fun, they mostly perform as sort of a lounge lizard duo but play as a full band a few times a year with their big annual gig being Ankeny Summerfest (shameless free plug there to pay back Jeff Hayes for helping me load the moving van when we left the area). There are others whose names I can't remember and of course I'm sure there are new musicians in town as well.

The Des Moines Art Festival in June always features live local artists. There used to be a bash called Taste of Des Moines in or around Blank Park where local bands played while people sample food from local restaurants, but since Google doesn't return any results for it I assume it's gone by the wayside.

Anyway, pick up a copy of Juice which can be found in the "free" racks at the entrance to many local retailers and restaurants, it has a full listing of entertainment in the area.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:49 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,757,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
A bit ironic that you've never heard even one song from Des Moines' most assessible local band, the Nadas, but yet you seem to claim to have some insight on the local music scene.
Don't get me wrong, I've heard snippets before around people who like them...and that was enough. Never an entire song. Just like I've never seen an entire episode of Oprah but have a good idea of what her show was like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines