Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 06:54 AM

178 posts, read 334,458 times

Advertisements

OK, I've given it some thought and I will admit that Des Moines is _very slightly_ hilly. From most places it's impossible to identify any sort of hill at all. But from my office window view (5th floor downtown looking west) I can't say it's completely flat either. Almost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 11:00 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,384,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runewell View Post
I've only skied once in my life, didn't care for it - I'm afraid you pegged me wrong. What I'm saying is that if you people think Des Moines has "hills" you have lived in the midwest too long and need to see the rest of the U.S. The only hills Des Moines has are the ones that ants create.
Go to Onawa in west central Iowa or south of Mason City where you can see for a dozen miles unobstructed in every direction. Or, just take a 20 minute drive up I-35 between Ames and Ankeny if you want to see what flat really is.

If you think Des Moines is flat, you have never seen what flat terrain looks like.

And yes, as a Midwesterner I know what mountains are. I have lived in Europe and spent plenty of time in the Western US.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:23 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Small hills are seen as really impressive in Iowa.
I've been a long-time reader in the Omaha/Des Moines forums, and I thought for sure this clown would have been banned by now. I'm impressed he's lasted this long!

Old 01-12-2013, 05:38 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,192,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
I've been a long-time reader in the Omaha/Des Moines forums, and I thought for sure this clown would have been banned by now. I'm impressed he's lasted this long!
Please feel free to stop by more often ...

Old 01-12-2013, 11:22 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
I don't think this forum has a moderator...

If it did some of my posts would have been deleted by now!!

Old 01-12-2013, 01:02 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I don't think this forum has a moderator...

If it did some of my posts would have been deleted by now!!
Wasn't there a local guy moderating this forum before? He was a veteran or something like that?

Old 01-14-2013, 12:52 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,259,014 times
The forum is moderated.

As far as RonnieJonez goes, he's usually within bounds of fair play here.

I'll throw this out there: If you go to "my settings" and then "edit ignore list" you can type in the screen name of anyone you would like to have on ignore. Just sayin'.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
The forum is moderated.

As far as RonnieJonez goes, he's usually within bounds of fair play here.

I'll throw this out there: If you go to "my settings" and then "edit ignore list" you can type in the screen name of anyone you would like to have on ignore. Just sayin'.
True, but where's the fun in that?

Old 01-17-2013, 07:03 AM

178 posts, read 334,458 times
Regarding Ronnie Jonez, he's fully allowed to speak his mind on this forum and is not rude or unbecoming when he does. That said, all you have to do is assume the opposite of what he says to get some useful information!

Old 01-17-2013, 08:22 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runewell View Post
Regarding Ronnie Jonez, he's fully allowed to speak his mind on this forum and is not rude or unbecoming when he does. That said, all you have to do is assume the opposite of what he says to get some useful information!
I'm the only one who has pointed out things about the actual culture of Des Moines. It's always avoided, because 99/100 people either don't notice it, or they enjoy it. It's not for everyone.

Most people don't like when it gets pointed it out (although it's hard not to notice). I've said several times, and I'll say it again, I think Des Moines is a fine community & and a great place for most people to make a living or raise a family.With that said, the cult-like mentality about ALL Des Moines ALL the time (like nothing exists outside of it), fascination with local politics, and general idea by most that it's in some category of major city when it's not can definitely get a little overbearing.

If you don't agree with the status quo about the general awesomeness of the city of Des Moines, you'll probably find yourself at odds with too many people, especially at a larger corporation. Don't want to be involved in the city or young professional organization? Well, shame on you. There can be a very frivolous, almost elementary mentality.

And they still do use archaic terms like "unbecoming" still in Des Moines. I've also heard "for naught" quite a few times. The country influence is still there in certain ways. Better not point that out either. Or like the previous poster said...you can just pretend you're back in 5th grade and my comments equate opposite day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines