Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 06:47 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times

Advertisements

I appreciate the update on demolition progress.
It sounds as though the developers/city planners/downtown powers will step back & take a breath to consider the best options for going forward.
The bottom line goal is to make a positive impact on the desire to remake Walnut St. into more of a workable, practical & aesthetic destination for multiple purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 07:00 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,604,523 times
Yes, there is almost "endless discussion," according to one guy who goes to meetings and would like more action and less talk.

I don't have an opinion on that! Just reporting what I heard.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:28 PM

That's cool @ 9:00.... As they use to say in a tv show, "Just the fact's ma'am".
One thing that I appreciate very much about Des Moines after having been all over the country, is the fact that it retains a solid & attractive central business core that is constantly evolving & improving that is the home to around 77,000 day time workers.
In reality the progress there is not always upward in a straight line, as witnessed by the temporary nature of the setback from a fire such as this. And looking back in time a few decades, the central core was once a very healthy retail center, something that has gone by the way side as a main function there. However, back when it was a center for such commerce, there was an old, grungy & dirty look & feel to much of that area. That is no longer the case. So, it could accurately be said that there has been a tradeoff of sorts in the change.
An exciting new trend there is that housing options are coming on board in the central business core to the extent that haven't been seen since before WW2.
My travels have shown me that there are very few metros of 600,000 population in the country that have such a healthy & attractive core area. Many have deteriorated & not been reborn to much extent. Additionally there is the commonly found phenomenon of brand new metros that may be the size of Des Moines or considerably larger in population but which never developed much of a downtown area as they exploded in metro size through sprawl. Arriving in the heart of such a city & seeing the lack of almost anything that speaks to you that this is a true city is disappointing at the very least. Such a situation calls to mind the old quote from Gertrude Stein, "There is no there there."
Downtown Des Moines Stats

Old 06-21-2014, 11:33 AM

I'm impressed by the number of movers and shakers who want downtown to succeed. I've lived in other places where there was a mass exodus to the burbs and that was that.

I'll keep this thread updated as more news becomes available.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:26 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,898 times
Here's the latest:

All not lost at Younkers site

BY KENT DARR, Senior Staff Writer
Wednesday, August 06, 2014 1:48 PM

Wisconsin-based Alexander Co. will continue with plans to create apartment units and retail spaces at the former Younkers building, which was gutted by fire in March.

Crews are continuing to raze the east side of the historic structure, which suffered crippling fire damage.

However, the six stories on the west side of the building that still tower over Walnut and Eighth streets will be restored, with about 14,000 square feet of commercial space on the first floor, renovation of the iconic Tea Room and creation of 60 apartment units on the upper floors, said Matt Anderson, assistant Des Moines city manager.

Read more: All not lost at Younkers site - Business Record
[/LEFT]

Old 08-06-2014, 01:58 PM

That's awesome news! I hope that the project is indeed workable both physically & financially in the long run.
Not too long ago there was a discouraging quote out there from someone associated with the city that threw cold water on the possibility of the west section being saved & put to a new use.
To support herself & finance her education at the U of I during the depression, during at least one summer an aunt of mine used to ride 80 miles via train from her home town into downtown Des Moines to play the piano during the lunch hour and afternoons in the Younkers Tea Room.
And recently online I purchased an old, vintage match book cover that advertised a long gone basement restaurant that existed in the west half of the store.
Thanks for posting this update!

Old 08-08-2014, 09:51 AM

I'm sure you're not the only one who feels that way. I'll bet they have a photo display in the new building somewhere for those who remember how it used to be. If not, I'll try to make that happen. A small glassed in display wouldn't cost that much and would be a nice focal point for an area.

Old 09-03-2014, 09:25 AM

Default Equitable Tower

This could have been another blow to historical downtown building...probably one of the few that would have been a bigger deal than the Younkers fire. Whew...that was close! Equitable Tower fire...

Why didn't Equitable Building burn like Younkers?

Old 09-03-2014, 10:57 AM

Thanks for sharing the link here with this update.
What a fortunate series of circumstances unfolded to prevent this episode from being another huge CBD disaster!
I've always loved the art deco stylization of The Equitable Bldg. & recall as a little boy leaning far into the back car window to look up & count the number of stories as we drove past it.
In my "Favorite Building in Des Moines" thread that I created in 2013, I entered this as my own personal fave. But as soon as someone (was it you capital?) mentioned the State Capitol Building, I thought, "Oh, that should have actually been my #1 choice."

Old 10-03-2014, 07:09 AM

Looks like things could get moving forward on this before the year is out...

Quote:
Younkers remodel plans back on track
Quote:

Patt Johnson, pjohnson@dmreg.com 12:54 a.m. CDT October 3, 2014

The remaining portion of the burned out Younkers building in downtown Des Moines could be back on the redevelopment track as early as this year.

David Vos, development director for Alexander Co. of Madison, Wis., said the west building will be remodeled into apartments with about 20,000 square feet of commercial space on the first floor.

More importantly for Des Moines and Iowa natives, the Younkers Tea Room will be restored and possibly expanded, he said.
Read more: Younkers remodel plans back on track
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines