Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 10:36 PM

83 posts, read 81,165 times

Advertisements

Currently i'm in Ankeny, but if I stay in Iowa past this year i'd like to move into the city. The more urban feel the better, but IDK where to look. Would prefer a pretty cheap rent price $500-$600 tops, will likely be taking classes at DMACC. A loft would be pretty cool...

I would be more than open to have a roommate(s), but I don't know anyone in the area that would be interested in moving there, so I'm not sure how to find other people who would be interested.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Won't be moving until next May/June/July...but want to get a head start on what I need to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 02:17 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,462,189 times
This would definitely be doable. There's a lot of income restricted apartments and lofts downtown. I'm not sure about the quality or availability of any of them, but there are a few that go for $500-$600 a month. Here's a good website to look at:

Apartments and Lofts for Rent in Downtown Des Moines

There also are 5 apartments listed for downtown Des Moines on apartments.com, which includes Vine Street Lofts that's in your price range. As far as roommates go, I've always had really good luck with craigslist. I realize that's a risky proposition for some though. If you can swing $600 a month and don't mind a really small loft, I think living alone is the best option just to be on the safe side. If you want a better living situation than $500-$600 a month can give you, then maybe look and see if someone is renting out a room in a loft. That, of course, can be risky too if that tenant doesn't have permission to sublet from his or her landlord.

Are you planning on taking classes at DMACC's urban campus? If not, I question why you'd want to move downtown when your classes are in Ankeny and you already live there. I realize it's not that bad of a drive, but I personally wouldn't want to do that commute regularly (even though many do it everyday). To each their own I guess. Also, assuming you have a car, I'm not sure about the parking situation downtown and if you get a free space with your rental. That's certainly something to consider when living downtown. Good luck!

Last edited by maniac77; 10-22-2014 at 02:25 PM..

Old 10-22-2014, 02:39 PM

83 posts, read 81,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac77 View Post
This would definitely be doable. There's a lot of income restricted apartments and lofts downtown. I'm not sure about the quality or availability of any of them, but there are a few that go for $500-$600 a month. Here's a good website to look at:

Apartments and Lofts for Rent in Downtown Des Moines

There also are 5 apartments listed for downtown Des Moines on apartments.com, which includes Vine Street Lofts that's in your price range. As far as roommates go, I've always had really good luck with craigslist. I realize that's a risky proposition for some though. If you can swing $600 a month and don't mind a really small loft, I think living alone is the best option just to be on the safe side. If you want a better living situation than $500-$600 a month can give you, then maybe look and see if someone is renting out a room in a loft. That, of course, can be risky too if that tenant doesn't have permission to sublet from his or her landlord.

Are you planning on taking classes at DMACC's urban campus? If not, I question why you'd want to move downtown when your classes are in Ankeny and you already live there. I realize it's not that bad of a drive, but I personally wouldn't want to do that commute regularly (even though many do it everyday). To each their own I guess. Also, assuming you have a car, I'm not sure about the parking situation downtown and if you get a free space with your rental. That's certainly something to consider when living downtown. Good luck!
I would likely take classes on West Des Moines campus.

I realize i'm fairly close, just would rather see what it's like living in a city. I'd like to move to a big city soon, and I think living in an OK sized city like Des Moines would get me more ready for that.

I'm currently paying $400 a month and it's working out fine, just have no idea how adding $200 to that would go.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:52 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,462,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRC5 View Post
I would likely take classes on West Des Moines campus.

I realize i'm fairly close, just would rather see what it's like living in a city. I'd like to move to a big city soon, and I think living in an OK sized city like Des Moines would get me more ready for that.

I'm currently paying $400 a month and it's working out fine, just have no idea how adding $200 to that would go.
Thanks for the clarification. Sounds good.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:09 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times
If you have trouble finding a place downtown (it is possible, as demand is high right now with waiting lists at some places...which is why you see so many apartments being built and in the pipeline), you should also consider Sherman Hill (neighborhood just northwest and adjacent to downtown and the area just west of downtown, along Grand Avenue and Ingersoll Ave. A lot of rentals in those areas and are very close to downtown (walkable, bikeable) and might be a tad cheaper. You should start out by just driving around those neighborhoods...you'll most likely see some "for rent" signs around with a phone number to call.

Cheesey name aside and if you'd consider a roommate and would like something new, these are going up on the edge of downtown. If you'll be driving out to West Des Moines, the location might be nice as you'll have a couple ways to head out west from here.

Cityville on 9th - EXPLORE THE ViBRANT MiX OF RESiDENTiAL, RETAiL AND RESTAURANTS

Old 01-15-2015, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,326 times
Thanks for the good information. I am considering moving from Michigan to IA for work. I'll check out some of the placed mentioned to see if they are close to work----possibly VAMC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
View detailed profiles of: