Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2014, 11:43 AM

3 posts, read 3,401 times

Advertisements

I thought I say hello to you all and ask some non-standard questions about the area.

How LGBT friendly is the Des Moines area? In particular, is the culture more accepting/open to transgender people? I ask because right now I haven't been able to transition due to living in Kansas (born and raised) with respect to the social climate here. Should I expect some overt resistance or just your standard gawking/staring?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 01:48 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
You're going to get a mixed reaction. People like my wife and I (we just recently moved to Vegas) would not care. We had a couple of neighbors there that would freak out . One of them got upset when a black family moved in down the street for Heaven's sake.

We were in West Des Moines, Sun Prairie area.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:08 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,287,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armozel View Post
I thought I say hello to you all and ask some non-standard questions about the area.

How LGBT friendly is the Des Moines area? In particular, is the culture more accepting/open to transgender people? I ask because right now I haven't been able to transition due to living in Kansas (born and raised) with respect to the social climate here. Should I expect some overt resistance or just your standard gawking/staring?

Thanks in advance.
I have a lot of friends in the LGBTQ community in Des Moines and they love it there. There is a fabulous PRIDE event every June. Lots of bars if that is your thing, too.

You are gonna have haters no matter where you go, but that is THEIR problem, not yours

Old 11-10-2014, 03:59 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,752,909 times
It's going to be friendly in the sense that gay men who fit the stereotype will typically make sense to the general public. This is true for most of the US in any city over 100k (besides a few in the deep south), even in predominately blue-collar cities like Green Bay, WI.

If you want a place where you won't feel you're getting stared or judged for cross-dressing (unless it's a show at a gay bar/club), you'll probably have to goto Minneapolis (and live in one of the urban neighborhoods) if you choose to stay in the midwest.

Culturally liberal cities like San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, or Portland are probably the only places you won't feel like you're getting stared or seen as different. There's simply so many alternative types in those cities that no one really takes notice of the next person who would stand out in most places.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:28 PM

The non-resident "expert" speaks.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:13 AM

3 posts, read 3,401 times
Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't expecting Des Moines to be like San Francisco or Seattle, but I'm more concerned how the average DSM-area person would react towards LGBT people. Mostly because I'm from Wichita Kansas and there's always been a problem with transgender people in the very small LGBT community here (and just the city in general).

Old 11-13-2014, 09:03 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,440,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armozel View Post

Thanks in advance.
I am non-binary and I lived in Des Moines for 7 years. The MOGAI scene in Des Moines is mostly cis gay and lesbian focused, but all things considered it is NOT a bad place to live as a trans person. It's better than rural Kansas, but it certainly isn't San Francisco. On a scale from Wichita to Minneapolis, it's much closer to Minneapolis.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:22 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,097,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
You're going to get a mixed reaction. People like my wife and I (we just recently moved to Vegas) would not care. We had a couple of neighbors there that would freak out . One of them got upset when a black family moved in down the street for Heaven's sake.

We were in West Des Moines, Sun Prairie area.
When I was in Iowa I didn't see much anger towards gay people. I did see racism.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:45 PM

11 posts, read 11,690 times
That is very unfortuante

Old 11-18-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
When I was in Iowa I didn't see much anger towards gay people. I did see racism.
The woman who got upset was from Nebraska. Farm town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
View detailed profiles of: