Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:15 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,415,668 times

Advertisements

I know there are quite a few bike trails around Des Moines, and I think the map of trails I have is pretty updated, but obviously you can't tell what the trails look like from a map.

Anyone have some recommendations of bike trails around the area? ...In Iowa for that matter?... I love to go on long rides in the summer, and I knew the trails and country roads like the back of my hand where I previously lived, and would love to do the same here.

Oh and are there any rail trails in the area? (converted rr tracks to trail)

Obviously I'm summer-sick.. lol...Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 02:10 PM

209 posts, read 1,089,370 times
Yeah, all of us in Iowa get this way this time of the year...

Where I live in Dubuque County, the Heritage Trail is a popular summer hiking area. It stretches from Dubuque to Dyersville, it does not cut through the cities, but trhough fields, forests, over a few ponds, through some rolling hills, etc., what you'd expect in northeastern Iowa.

I am SURE there are more areas to hike in the area, oh along the Mississippi near Lock and Dam 10 at Eagle Point Park there is a hiking trail along the river, beautiful in the Spring and Summer...

We went hiking up near Decorah and along the Misssissippi in Allamakee County in the summer last year and it is beautiful. Through the hills there were many time that we were RIGHT along the river.

In Northwestern Illinois in Oregon, there is Castle Rock... It is amazing, northwestern Illinois is very similar in geography to northeastern Iowa. I would even go so far to say that there are MORE cliffs and ridges than right here in IA.

Also, in NW'rn Illinois the Palisades Park between Savanna and Hanover along Illinois 84 has alot of scenic hiking trails.

We also went hiking in the Amana Colonies last year, they had a hiking trail, but I cannot remember the exact location...

Now you have me summer-sick too, lol.

Hope I could help...

Dubuque Ask Me

Old 02-13-2008, 08:27 PM

296 posts, read 1,283,670 times
Here's info on the Cedar Valley Nature Trail: http://www.inhf.org/iowatrails/cvnt-intro.htm (broken link) If you're traveling around the state, this would definitely be one to hit -- a very nice trail. Some geocaching, a few old depots... all the good stuff.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:36 PM

Thanks Woodward, but I used to live in Waterloo so I've ridden that trail, as well as the rail trail from Waverly to Denver many times. They are both great trails and I was wondering if there was anything like that anywhere else that goes through the country-side, as well as urban trails like the system that Waterloo Cedar Falls had.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:50 PM

296 posts, read 1,283,670 times
Oh! Well, then <Roseanne Rosannadanna Voice> Never mind! ;-)

Old 02-13-2008, 08:52 PM

586 posts, read 2,185,103 times
Here's a map of Central Iowa trails:

The Great Western Trail is built on a former railbed from south of Des Moines to Martensdale. My favorite local trail to see the countryside is the Raccoon River Valley Trail from Adel to Panora. My favorite urban trail is either the Great Western Trail, which splits at Waterworks Park to go to Greenwood Park, or to Gray's Lake and through downtown. Walnut Creek Trail and the Gay Lea Wilson trail on the eastside are nice as well.

Central_Iowa_Trail.gif

Old 02-13-2008, 09:17 PM

Wow Adel to Panora along the river would be great! Seems like the urban trail system is still somewhat choppy imo, It will be great if/when they complete the potential trails that they are looking at. I can't wait to ride again!!

Old 02-13-2008, 09:31 PM

586 posts, read 2,185,103 times
Do click on the link below the bike trail map above, it shows even more urban trails. That planned loop from Dawson to Perry to Waukee was recently funded by a transportation earmark and should be built this year too.

I take it you didn't go on the 23 mile BRR Ride (Bike Ride to Rippey) on February 4th? I don't blame you!

Old 02-13-2008, 09:42 PM

No way, I get asthma when it's cold out for some strange reason... plus biking is the last thing I would want to do in the winter, I'd rather eat ribeye with a twiced baked potato, which I think I did the week of that bike ride you are talking about.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:41 AM

1 posts, read 9,769 times
Default Neil Davis Trail

The Neil Davis Trail runs parallel the Des Moines River from downtown Des Moines to Big Creek State Park. The total distance is about 24 miles with nearly 10 of those miles being inner city trails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines