Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 01:12 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times

Advertisements

I can at least attest that years ago, it was the best trick or treating around IMO. Honestly though, when you have huge mansion-esque homes in the area, you're bound to be safe and have some great candy! We usually had a parent go with us though, who would stand on the sidewalk as we went up to the houses (as we got older).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 02:31 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,261,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tptvosox View Post
So, does the "Roosevelt Cultural District" do anything to herald that distinction? Maybe as we go through Spring/Summer, the outdoor events will happen (?).

Hmmm... Honestly, I'd say not really unless you count the architecture and the fact it has more of a "cultured feel" to it compared to a lot of other places in the area. Maybe things go on that I'm not aware of though, as I don't live there and rarely get into that area these days.

I was thinking earlier about "wine and cheese" and how I had a friend who lived South of Grand (close enough) in high school. One day I went to his house and his parents were having a gathering of about 10-12 people for fondue. I know it's a simple concept, but I was a little out of my element and just sat there for a minute or two watching everyone. They thought it was pretty funny that I didn't know what to do. Where I come from when we have people over we throw some meat on the grill, make some potato salad and so-on. I guess we've got a class divide in how we prepare party foods. I will say that the fondue was good once I became comfortable with the idea.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:12 PM

33 posts, read 147,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Hmmm... Honestly, I'd say not really unless you count the architecture and the fact it has more of a "cultured feel" to it compared to a lot of other places in the area. Maybe things go on that I'm not aware of though, as I don't live there and rarely get into that area these days.
I wonder about the same after seeing how small that designated area is, which just covers the Roosevelt/Hubbell acreage and the Shops at Roosevelt and the Playhouse, as well as and a block or two of residents. It'd be a shame if they didn't participate in Jazz in July or some other outdoor fests this Spring/Summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
I was thinking earlier about "wine and cheese" and how I had a friend who lived South of Grand (close enough) in high school. One day I went to his house and his parents were having a gathering of about 10-12 people for fondue. I know it's a simple concept, but I was a little out of my element and just sat there for a minute or two watching everyone. They thought it was pretty funny that I didn't know what to do. Where I come from when we have people over we throw some meat on the grill, make some potato salad and so-on. I guess we've got a class divide in how we prepare party foods. I will say that the fondue was good once I became comfortable with the idea.
hehe...I can see by the houses alone that there's definitely a class divide between SOG and NOG folks, so I get where you're coming from. Yeah, I think there's a fine line between having a great hang where there's fondue as a choice (quick conversation about it covers it, and you move on to other topics) and having people over for fondue (talking about the merits of fondue). The former to me is cool and quirky/old school, while the latter can be stuffy...but it completely depends on the company.

Location-wise, I'm looking more specifically at "North of Ingersoll", or the area between Ingersoll and I-235 & 42nd - 35th streets, and I like it's mirror north of I-235, between I-235 and Cottage Grove & 42nd - 35th streets...so you're talking that $190 - 135K range of homes. There are also some of those not-so-expensive gems just north of Roosevelt, off Kingman Blvd, with those south of Kingman looking a little more well-kept than those north of Kingman (at least from the sidewalk...who knows what the basements are hiding).

Old 03-12-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tptvosox View Post
I wonder about the same after seeing how small that designated area is, which just covers the Roosevelt/Hubbell acreage and the Shops at Roosevelt and the Playhouse, as well as and a block or two of residents. It'd be a shame if they didn't participate in Jazz in July or some other outdoor fests this Spring/Summer.

I'm sure they at least participate in Jazz in July or something like that. Jazz in July is pretty much all over, I wouldn't be surprised if they had someone perform in the Bowlerama parking lot on SE 14th sometime.

Edit: I'm a life-long Southsider, just in case you thought I was from NOG. I've heard from people who went to Roosevelt that sometimes they'll talk about the "NOGs" in the same way as people from Valley would talk about the "Junction Trash". Although South of Grand is nicer, it's kind of funny considering NOG is nice by pretty much any reasonable person's standards.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:53 AM

4 posts, read 25,786 times
Fantastic area. We live just half a mile from Roosevelt High School.

I just want to chime in with a suggestion to look at Windsor Elementary instead of Hubbell. The school is a true gem, better, imo than Hubbell. My kids started at Hubbell but we ended up open enrolling at Windsor. The principal and teachers are dynamic, incredibly kind to the children and have terrific extra programming all the time. It has the added benefit of being the school that works with new immigrant children (ESL classes) so the diversity is fantastic in a safe setting. The school was also gutted and renovated just two years ago. Merrill Middle School is the best in Des Moines, hands down.

Best of luck in your relocation. As your little one gets bigger, check out the great classes for kids at the art museum and at The Playhouse. Franklin Library is going to have a renovation as well that will improve childen's programming. It is a great time to move to Des Moines!

Old 03-23-2009, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,595 times
There was a beautiful 2 story brick home on Polk Blvd. near Grand for sale. I think that would be Hubbell, Hanawalt or Greenwood. Hanawalt and Greenwood are good schools. Both would be Roosevelt, but not sure if Callanan or Merrill Middle Schools. Don't know anything about Perkins, but if you move North enough, you will be in that district rather than Hubbell. Personally, I like living North of I-235 (although we are open enrolled to Greenwood) and there are some beautiful, large homes on 44th street just north of the freeway. Good luck!

Old 03-23-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshfuture View Post
. It has the added benefit of being the school that works with new immigrant children (ESL classes) so the diversity is fantastic in a safe setting.

Sorry, this made me chuckle.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,583 times
We moved from out West to Iowa to the small area of Beaverdale that is in the Roosevelt district (south of Hickman Road and west of 38th Street), after doing extensive online research of the neighborhoods. We LOVE our neighborhood. We live less than 2 blocks from a grocery, bakery, dining, dentist, etc. We live six blocks from the Beaverdale shopping area. Everyone has dogs, backpacks or strollers with their kids. We were kinda surprised at how everyone says hello, as we are not midwestern causcasian folks. However, after being here almost five years, no neighbors have yet invited us over for beer/brats/wine/cheese. It seems all of our neighbors are from Iowa and have family here. We don't. The down side is that Des Moines' diversity is the best the state has to offer, which is nothing to brag about at this point. People who have lived here a long time say that it is getting better. My children in Middle and High School were shocked to see that the kids at school hung out together based on race (all the mexicans together; blacks together; asians together, whites together, etc.). That did not happen where we lived prior to Iowa. Kids chose their friends based on something other than the superficiality of outward racial appearances.

Trick or treating is a big deal in our neighborhood and quite safe.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanooka8 View Post
Everyone has dogs, backpacks or strollers with their kids. We were kinda surprised at how everyone says hello, as we are not midwestern causcasian folks. However, after being here almost five years, no neighbors have yet invited us over for beer/brats/wine/cheese.

Have you invited your neighbors over for beer/brats/wine/cheese yet? Sometimes if you reach out a little bit you'll get a lot back. If you have and your neighbors haven't reciprocated, that's a different story.

Quote:
The down side is that Des Moines' diversity is the best the state has to offer, which is nothing to brag about at this point. People who have lived here a long time say that it is getting better. My children in Middle and High School were shocked to see that the kids at school hung out together based on race (all the mexicans together; blacks together; asians together, whites together, etc.). That did not happen where we lived prior to Iowa. Kids chose their friends based on something other than the superficiality of outward racial appearances.
I don't believe that kids flocking together by race is something unique to Iowa, that happens everywhere.

As far as diversity goes, the state of Iowa is 90%+ white, Des Moines is about 80% white (give or take a little) so yeah, there's not going to be much and shouldn't be at the top of anyone's list who's looking for the multicultural experience. Personally, I don't think our demographic situation is something that needs "improvement", Iowa is what it is and a lot of us like it the way it is. We have other things to brag about - good schools, high quality of life, low crime, etc.

Anyways, sounds like you landed in a pretty good spot in Beaverdale.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshfuture View Post
It has the added benefit of being the school that works with new immigrant children (ESL classes) so the diversity is fantastic in a safe setting.
Good grief. We will be moving to Des Moines in July. We are looking for almost identical things as the OP, but I don't really want my children living with this kind of quasi-tolerance. Is this typical of the kind of thought pattern of the residents in this neighborhood, does anyone know? Sometimes neighborhoods with lots of older or less educated residents have this same kind of attitude.

Not that it's so terrible, but I really don't want my children to grow up thinking this is what racial tolerance looks like. We are coming from a richly diverse neighborhood now, and I'm hoping my children don't lose that racial blindness.

Thanks,
Lou
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines