Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 09:45 AM

33 posts, read 147,713 times

Advertisements

I see a good handful of "B" caps around Des Moines, and I had seen on a (likely dated) list of Red Sox - friendly businesses last year sometime that the Merle Hay Felix & Oscars owner was a big Sox fan. I wondered: (1) is that true, to the extent that F&O's plays most/all games and you can expect Sox fans to gather there for big games; (2) does anyone know of any other bar/restaurant owners that are Red Sox fans to that extent (or where they could easily be talked into becoming an official hang if enough of us urged them to play the games on a regular basis); and (3) would any of you Red Sox fans out there be interested in getting organized a little...enough to get something happening at least for the Sox-Yanks games? I'm hoping at least the Sox-Yanks games would be on in several of the sports bars around. I've popped in F&O's, and it's not exactly the hang I'd be looking for. The day I went there was a game on TV, but the place was nearly fogged with smoke, and there were just a handful of older locals. I suppose it's too much to expect that "Boston's" in Clive would actually be a place to do this? I used to be a part of large groups both in Boston and NYC (being behind enemy lines is a hell of a great time), so I know how fun this can be if we get it going -- networking, socializing, prompting drink specials if we wear the garb, etc. Owners respond with turnout and good quality people.

Last edited by tptvosox; 03-18-2008 at 10:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 10:04 AM

By the way, I just emailed the folks at Boston's Gourmet Pizza and made my pitch. Let you know if I hear anything.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:25 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,260,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tptvosox View Post
Owners respond with turnout and good quality people.

Wait, since when are Red Sox fans known for being good quality people?

Just kidding. Honestly, I think you have a pretty good idea. Maybe try Benchwarmer's in Ankeny? I think there would be a good handful of places in the area that would be willing to do something like this.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:06 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,581,667 times
I can't think of any off hand. However, I moved away in 2001. I have since lived in Boston and am a HUGE Sox fan. I was thinking about moving back in 2010. I'll keep this on the back burner until I get back. Maybe by then you'll have something organized.

Are you a Pats fan also??

Old 03-18-2008, 10:26 PM

681 posts, read 3,035,890 times
You might also try the inPlay on the north side of downtown. I hear they have a small sports bar set up there, and I know there's lots of arcade games and stuff to keep any kids happy. (Plus, baseball can get a little boring sometimes) Not to mention that, as a new business in town, they should be more than happy to work with you.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:34 AM

hehe...thanks for the comments. Not so much a Pats fan, but that's more to do with my lesser interest in FB in general. I do like watching their execution, for sure. Those are a little out of my way, but I'll look into it this Spring. Thanks!

Old 03-19-2008, 01:09 PM

I did get a reply from Boston's and they're all for it...reading the email quickly via my cellphone. I'd have to figure out the best way to get everyone together or at least notified. I'm guessing best bet is blitz -- here, DMReg, Juice, blog, craigslist, etc. -- just to get a handful. It'll be one of those things that grows with the reputation. But pass the word on, please. I'll post again when we set a time. Opening day is upon us, so I may be setting up the first one next week.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:15 PM

Too bad Beckett is out for opening day... Dice-K didn't really impress me much last year. But either did Beckett his first year in Boston.

You ever been to Fenway?? If not, it's an experience you'll never forget. Good luck getting tickets though unless you buy them from a scalper.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Too bad Beckett is out for opening day... Dice-K didn't really impress me much last year. But either did Beckett his first year in Boston.

You ever been to Fenway?? If not, it's an experience you'll never forget. Good luck getting tickets though unless you buy them from a scalper.
Lived in Boston (Brighton) for 5 years and was there many a time. Yes, quite the experience. Even more fun sometimes was my next 5 years behind enemy lines in NYC and wearing Sox garb in Yankee Stadium. hehe

Old 03-19-2008, 11:33 PM

When were you there?? I was there in 03-05, lived in Malden worked downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines