U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-20-2014, 11:08 AM
 
1,683 posts, read 958,212 times
Reputation: 1981

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
A riverwalk with attractions like restaurants, etc would be great. We got the walk, now just add the amenities.

The Official Website of The San Antonio River Walk

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.0...lassic&dg=ntvo
I go to river walk often and wish there would be coffee shop, ice cream spot, food and cool shopping ground along the walk, not just in GM area but near the hill. I did see the adventure indoor building they put up recently, good start
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2014, 12:47 PM
 
3,538 posts, read 3,920,553 times
Reputation: 2380
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
A riverwalk with attractions like restaurants, etc would be great. We got the walk, now just add the amenities.

The Official Website of The San Antonio River Walk

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=43.0...lassic&dg=ntvo
That's exactly what I was talking about, thank you.

Quote:
It would probably be a real plus if the lower level of Cobo along Atwater had some restaurants or retail.
That would be pretty cool, the Riverwalk has the potential to be GREAT and not just a cool attraction. I know it's still in it's early stages so I'm hopeful.

To the poster above, I think there is a ice cream shop on the other side of the GM building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2014, 08:01 PM
 
Location: west mich
5,740 posts, read 5,266,147 times
Reputation: 2107
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I go to river walk often and wish there would be coffee shop, ice cream spot, food and cool shopping ground along the walk, not just in GM area but near the hill. I did see the adventure indoor building they put up recently, good start
Yeah, coffee shops for sure. I think if they could get closer, the bridge area would be an interesting backdrop as well. My previous Google Maps link didn't work out (there are two versions which work differently) but I wanted to show the vacant land that seems ripe for development. This is it.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.3...14033&t=h&z=17
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2014, 08:09 AM
 
3,538 posts, read 3,920,553 times
Reputation: 2380
51 pages in and it's a positive thread .

Detroit voted one of America's best riverfronts - Fox 2 News Headlines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2014, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Michigan
4,570 posts, read 6,245,477 times
Reputation: 3569
Fifth Third Bank moving into downtown Detroit.



Fifth Third Bank to relocate regional HQ to Detroit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2014, 01:09 PM
 
3,538 posts, read 3,920,553 times
Reputation: 2380
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Fifth Third Bank moving into downtown Detroit.



Fifth Third Bank to relocate regional HQ to Detroit
Wow that's surprising. Nice .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2014, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Michigan
4,570 posts, read 6,245,477 times
Reputation: 3569
A bistro from Birmingham is opening a 2nd resturant at One Detroit Center.

Birmingham's Townhouse to open restaurant in Detroit

Also another restaurant in Midtown.

Selden Standard to open this weekend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2014, 01:17 PM
 
Location: west mich
5,740 posts, read 5,266,147 times
Reputation: 2107
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
A bistro from Birmingham is opening a 2nd resturant at One Detroit Center.

Birmingham's Townhouse to open restaurant in Detroit

Also another restaurant in Midtown.

Selden Standard to open this weekend
Even snooty Birmingham coming into Detroit. IMO this all feels different from the bogus "renaissance" of the 1970s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2014, 08:21 PM
 
Location: Michigan
4,570 posts, read 6,245,477 times
Reputation: 3569
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Even snooty Birmingham coming into Detroit. IMO this all feels different from the bogus "renaissance" of the 1970s.
David Klein Gallery to open a new Detroit location

Now even an art galley from Birmingham. At this rate, Downtown Detroit might start to feel a little snooty and all the gritty folks and kids will have to move up to Midtown. Who'da thunk this would happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2014, 12:12 AM
 
Location: west mich
5,740 posts, read 5,266,147 times
Reputation: 2107
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
David Klein Gallery to open a new Detroit location

Now even an art galley from Birmingham. At this rate, Downtown Detroit might start to feel a little snooty and all the gritty folks and kids will have to move up to Midtown. Who'da thunk this would happen?
Wow, good news - and it's gonna be "larger" and the "flagship" location with the owner citing the local "energy" (no such energy in laid-back B'ham? ). What a turn of events.
I would hope that local artists from the Russell Complex etc. would have some input, get some exposure, and make Detroit a recognized, rather than underground, art center. Don't know if Klein represents locals, but they might set an example for other entrepreneurs to become part of the "community". There are politics in the art world with leaders and followers who demand "credentials" and name-recognition before making a move.
BTW, although West Michigan art is geared to tourists who seek "mementos", Grand Rapids also has a similar underground community. Maybe they could become part of "the scene".

Last edited by detwahDJ; 11-05-2014 at 01:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top