Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 07:23 PM

15 posts, read 39,645 times

Advertisements

People always tell me that Detroit is the worst city in the world but I don't know there seems to be a lot of people living in Detroit so how bad could it be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 08:23 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Any city is the worst city in the world if you are born and brought up in very unfortunate circumstances, whatever they may be.

Any city is the best city in the world, if you have been fortunate to have the things that make one happy and complete.

Every city has both kinds in it.

Detroit may have a higher percentage of the former, but there are still plenty of the latter, just like in any city.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:41 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,255,760 times
In the world? Impossible... just look around the internet or turn on the TV or the news and you will find plenty of bad-off places outside of the USA.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:20 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganWall View Post
People always tell me that Detroit is the worst city in the world but I don't know there seems to be a lot of people living in Detroit so how bad could it be?
The people who say that have never been to the city its self. They just watch the news and make their judgments on what they see. The national media don't even bother to report the up and coming areas of Detroit and the re-development across the city.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:50 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
I have been tempted so many times to drive over to Detroit on a beautiful, sunny spring day and take some gorgeous pictures of certain amazing parts of the city and then post them unlabeled on the General U.S. forum and ask people to guess which city they were taken in. Nobody would guess Detroit, because even though 95% of them have never been remotely near Detroit, they THINK they know everything about it and that it's all bad. The reality is that Detroit has an abundance of one of a kind historical architecture, a gorgeous riverfront, some of the nicest professional sports venues in the country, and entire blocks of 20th century mansions that would knock your socks off. Obviously, there are bad areas, too many of them to be honest, but for anyone to try to say that Detroit is all bad and has no redeeming qualities is utterly ridiculous and shows a disturbing amount of shortsightedness and ignorance.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:52 PM

54 posts, read 155,402 times
As for worst city in the world, that is an absurd and ignorant statement, there are still many impoverished countries and areas that would make Detroit seem like paradise in comparison.

However, while there has been many efforts to revitalize parts of the city recently, there is still a very, very long way to go. Going simply by land area, the majority of the city is still abandoned or severely decayed. While I hope that the improvement continues, the way Detroit is right now it would still be a contender for the worst condition large city in the first world.

Last edited by reni; 05-07-2011 at 09:02 PM..

Old 05-07-2011, 08:56 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Exclamation It ain't the city, it's the politicians

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganWall View Post

There are almost a million less people than there was in the 1950s. 200,000 less than 10 yers ago.
Yes the city has some fabulous areas. (How many rock stars, athletes and CEOs live in the city limits?) Even DAve Bing had to MOVE into the city to run for mayor..
But there is nothing (ok, very little) opportunity for the people who live in the city to make a living, shop at a real grocery store, or pick up a few quick items at Wally World. Because there are NO name brand franchise stores in the city. Not really sure why that is.

There was a time when Wally World offered classes at one (maybe more) Detroit high school teaching the skills needed to be a greeter or some other great position at Wally World. Problem is, there are no Wally Worlds in Detroit. So these Wally World students have to get on a D-DOT bus, take it to the city limits and either jump a SEMTA bus to the northern or southern burbs for a Wally World. They CANNOT get a bus to Livonia WAlly World because the good folks of the wonder bread capital USA voted to kick SEMTA out so that "those" people would not ride into LIviona via I-96 to shop at Meijers or Wally World.

ILlich has been allowed to use imminent domain to build his empire on Woodward which includes the FOX Theater, Comerica PArk and Hockey Town. Now he wants to force more landowners to goie up what is theirs and give it to him to relocate the hockey arena near the Illich compound.

So even the hard working folks in Detroit can lose their property to PROGRESS for pennies on the dollar--but hey--it's not like anyone else is wanting to but them, right?

And those who do live in one of the mansions that line certain areas (where are those?) pay a tax rate that amounts to extortion (but everyone pays that high rate, not everyone gets the services) for fire and police coverage. Because a house outside the covenanted mansion row will burn to the ground, or be burgled 5x faster than one on mansion row. But even a mansion has the chance to burn on a bad day.
Folks use the term GENTRIFICATION when talking about Detroit. Maybe that is an appropriate term? I see it as the powerful and influential feeding off the folks who are working themselves to death to pay taxes, get to a decent grocery store, and buy clothes so they MIGHT be able to get a ride, gas up the car and drive into the burbs to try and find employment. When that fails, well it usually ends up on the news as some hyped up lead story of how the citizens of the city have turned to self-indulgent acts to satisfy their cravings..

So is it the worse in the world? Doubtful. Have you seen any city India? Any city in Mexico? Central America? China? Detroit is far from the worse in the world.

What it is one of the worse at is allowing politicans and elected officials, from the school board to city council and all the Kilpatricks that have been and are yet to come, to run roughshod over their right to a humane existance and convincing the citizens they don't need no accountability or responsibility from their officials because "We are all in this together.' only when the city starts to stager, the officials are the first out with their war chests and the citizens are worse for the wear...

Old 05-08-2011, 09:05 PM

21,136 posts, read 19,714,475 times
No, Detroit is not the worst city in the world. Cities are on the world, not in it.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:01 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,394,799 times
OMG if one more person mentions a "real" grocery store I'm going to literally pull my damn hair out! WTF is a wally world btw? I could care less about a damn walmart, meijer or kroger when I can spend my money at the best thing in the area, The Eastern Market. Which btw is packed to capacity every saturday by the same people who live down the street from those "real" grocery stores.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:07 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
OMG if one more person mentions a "real" grocery store I'm going to literally pull my damn hair out! WTF is a wally world btw? I could care less about a damn walmart, meijer or kroger when I can spend my money at the best thing in the area, The Eastern Market. Which btw is packed to capacity every saturday by the same people who live down the street from those "real" grocery stores.

I tried shopping the Eastern Market on a Friday afternoon...guess they sold out? I like to shop when I want to shop. As good as the EM is, I do not always want to get up at 6:00 am, walking 1/2 mile to get to the market and fight a crowd just to get a few veggies and over priced meat...I like shopping after work in the early evening and walking less than a mile to get in the front door.
I hate going into place that has limited variety like University Market of Save More...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit