Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2007, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 39,124 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be in Windsor soon for a vacation and planning on taking the family to Detroit for back to school shopping because U.S. are just so cheap these days compared to Canadian prices. Can anyone recommend the best outlet type malls etc. for shopping for us. The closer to the bridge/tunnel the better. Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 09:48 AM

999 posts, read 4,527,754 times
The closest outlet mall I know of is where my wife wastes most of our disposable income that I haven't been able to hide: Birch Run.

They bill it as the second largest outlet mall in the world. Plus, it's close to Frankenmuth, so you can spend a day or two there. Also, if anyone in your family is into military history, there's also "Michigan's Own" Military history museum that has some cool stuff including displays for every Medal of Honor recipient from Michigan. I think it's about an hour or hour and a half from Detroit, straight up I-75. You can get there from the bridge without ever getting off the freeway til you get there.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:09 PM

3 posts, read 52,875 times
Default Birch Run is one...

You would take I-75 North to get there, then follow the sign after you get past Flint.
Also, there is one in Monroe, which is South of Detroit. And one in Howell, about 1 hour west of Detroit on I-96.
] I don't know of any outlet mall that is "close" to Downtown Detroit. Monroe is probably the closest, and it's probably a good 1/2 at least away. I'd make it a day/overnight trip and go to Birch Run and Frankenmuth if it were me.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:29 PM

86 posts, read 456,784 times
Great Lakes Crossing in Auburn Hills has some outlet stores. (Not all of their stores are outlets, but a lot of the clothing stores are.) It's straight up I-75 about 20 minutes or so north of Detroit - you can take either Joslyn or Baldwin Rd. exits to get there (I find Joslyn easier, personally).

Birch Run is an excellent suggestion if you are willing to drive a little further. I highly recommend taking I-75 north to I-475 in Flint, to bypass ongoing construction on I-75 through Flint (unless you like being stuck in traffic ). That will take you back to I-75 north of Flint, and Birch Run is just a few exits away from there.

Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit