Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Michigan problems, historical buildings destroyed, clearing of Detroit neighborhoods, governor’s tax and spend policy, Kwame Kilpatrick, abandoned buildings, graffiti, conservative republicans

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 05:38 AM

262 posts, read 788,261 times

Advertisements

I would like to know, Why is it that the Mayor has this plan to destory any Historical buildings instead of rehabing them?(76 Historical Buildings Destoyed since he took Office, Facts printed by National Trust of Historical Preservation) Like Tiger Stadium That Ballpark has been there since 1898 and some of Major League Baseball Players that have walked that ground Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Al Kaline etc. and now the Mayor and City Council want to tear it down for what more Cockroach infested low income housing? I mean he can't even run the City and it seems all his plan is is to tear down anything that White people built, The roit in 1967 was the start of clearing of Detriot nieghborhoods, You drive down around Eastern Market and all the empty lots for as faras you can see in some spots of the City, and the houses that are being built in Detroit what a bunch of crap, if the people only knew. but then again most folks who have some money are moving out to the burbs. But the plans of the Governor 's TAX and SPEND will set Detriot and Michigan back for years to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 11:50 AM

106 posts, read 535,941 times
While I generally loath Kwame Kilpatrick, I have to agree with him on this. A lot of these buildings were once beautiful, but they've deteriorated so much that restoring them would now be unrealistic. Right now they're still a bunch of graffitied eyesores, serving no purpose whatsoever, so they may as well be torn down. In fact, tearing down abandoned buildings is what the city needs to do to move itself forward.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:59 AM

4,537 posts, read 5,106,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankawitz View Post
I would like to know, Why is it that the Mayor has this plan to destory any Historical buildings instead of rehabing them?(76 Historical Buildings Destoyed since he took Office, Facts printed by National Trust of Historical Preservation) Like Tiger Stadium That Ballpark has been there since 1898 and some of Major League Baseball Players that have walked that ground Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Al Kaline etc. and now the Mayor and City Council want to tear it down for what more Cockroach infested low income housing? I mean he can't even run the City and it seems all his plan is is to tear down anything that White people built, The roit in 1967 was the start of clearing of Detriot nieghborhoods, You drive down around Eastern Market and all the empty lots for as faras you can see in some spots of the City, and the houses that are being built in Detroit what a bunch of crap, if the people only knew. but then again most folks who have some money are moving out to the burbs. But the plans of the Governor 's TAX and SPEND will set Detriot and Michigan back for years to come.

I'm not quite following you. Are you attacking Kwame as being a white-hating racist, or are you merely a conservative Republican (hence the Granholm shot)?

Old 07-29-2007, 08:13 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,960,239 times
Another reason this area is so f*cked.
You have the op that can't wait to make this a racist issue. Simply state the question as to why he is tearing down the buildings and let folks respond.

Also, why are you under the impression that white people built everything thing of that period, could it be that the racist of that time would not allow any minorities into the building trades or to allow them the opportunity to work alongside of them.

Stop holding back progress to the region, stop injecting race into every question when the race issue dosen't apply.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:19 PM

Boy I bet if the shoe was on the other foot there would be an out cry. I just don't understand how people who live in the city can just sit back and let everything fall down around them and never lift a finger to save an old House or Building that was built better then anything they build today even with all the eye candy people go nuts over. as for the so call race issue I haven't seen anything being built in Detriot where the local neighbors are hired to build it's always the people from the sub burbs who I see working in the city, so tell me again about not being let to work. and as for Grandhole that's the facts she has no plans for this State other then to raise TAXES and SPEND the money on BS programs for people who don't want to work they want hand outs. I mean she wants to cut the State Police Funds and then wants to cut loose State Prisoner to make more bed space. That's 235 Felonies she wants taken off the Books so Police can't charge people with driving off from an accidents, and you see this all the time in Detriot where these young punk kids go on a joy ride and kill some small kid or old lady, yeah Detriot is a place all right. I don't even go into Detriot cause the way some people drive in the city they run red lights, blow thru stop signs, cause they don't give a SH$#! about no one but themselfs and as long as that is the ATTITUDE nothing will change for the better in Detriot, same old same old just less people living there, So you all keep the dream of moving the D and maybe you can push it right into the river. I can't afford to live in this State anymore. I hope to be out of here come September and looking out West cause like they say "The West is the Best"

Old 07-30-2007, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Boy I bet if the shoe was on the other foot there would be an out cry. I just don't understand how people who live in the city can just sit back and let everything fall down around them and never lift a finger to save an old House or Building that was built better then anything they build today even with all the eye candy people go nuts over. as for the so call race issue I haven't seen anything being built in Detriot where the local neighbors are hired to build it's always the people from the sub burbs who I see working in the city, so tell me again about not being let to work. and as for Grandhole that's the facts she has no plans for this State other then to raise TAXES and SPEND the money on BS programs for people who don't want to work they want hand outs. I mean she wants to cut the State Police Funds and then wants to cut loose State Prisoner to make more bed space. That's 235 Felonies she wants taken off the Books so Police can't charge people with driving off from an accidents, and you see this all the time in Detriot where these young punk kids go on a joy ride and kill some small kid or old lady, yeah Detriot is a place all right. I don't even go into Detriot cause the way some people drive in the city they run red lights, blow thru stop signs, cause they don't give a SH$#! about no one but themselfs and as long as that is the ATTITUDE nothing will change for the better in Detriot, same old same old just less people living there, So you all keep the dream of moving the D and maybe you can push it right into the river. I can't afford to live in this State anymore. I hope to be out of here come September and looking out West cause like they say "The West is the Best"

Bye Bye, good luck out west.
You really don't have to come back to visit, but if you do please leave the hate out west.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:01 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Bye Bye, good luck out west.
You really don't have to come back to visit, but if you do please leave the hate out west.
No kidding. Talk about a broken record.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:00 PM

reconmark and magellan what about all the money that has come up missing? or should we say ripped off what was it something like $43 Million from the Detriot Public Schools and people wonder why the city of Detriot is in the shape it's in. If you people don't see that there needs to be a Major change well I feel for you. Did you know that in Nevada there are No Personal Income Tax, No Gift/Inheritance Tax, Property Tax $5.00 per $100.00 of assessed valuation is Nevada's constitutional limit on property tax. Business Taxes Corporate Income Tax None, Franchise Tax None, Unitary Tax None, Admissions Tax None, Capitol Stock Tax None, Inventory Tax None, Business Tax A one time state license fee of $25 applies, Tax is paid quartley and is $25 per each full-time equivalent employee. Sole proprietors with no employees, goverment entities and nonprofit corporations are exempt. Here in Michigan we are Taxed for everything.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
reconmark and magellan what about all the money that has come up missing? or should we say ripped off what was it something like $43 Million from the Detriot Public Schools and people wonder why the city of Detriot is in the shape it's in. If you people don't see that there needs to be a Major change well I feel for you. Did you know that in Nevada there are No Personal Income Tax, No Gift/Inheritance Tax, Property Tax $5.00 per $100.00 of assessed valuation is Nevada's constitutional limit on property tax. Business Taxes Corporate Income Tax None, Franchise Tax None, Unitary Tax None, Admissions Tax None, Capitol Stock Tax None, Inventory Tax None, Business Tax A one time state license fee of $25 applies, Tax is paid quartley and is $25 per each full-time equivalent employee. Sole proprietors with no employees, goverment entities and nonprofit corporations are exempt. Here in Michigan we are Taxed for everything.
In this statement you are talking about something totally different from the original post. In the original post your rant was how he (Mayor Kilpatrick) was destroying everything that white people built, it had nothing to do with taxes.

So your original post was simply another "the blacks did it all" post.

A question to you would be, why on one hand do so many whites state they won't step foot into Detroit and spend money on the city and on the other hand expect the city to maintain these structual albatrosses as if money was falling from trees.

If you don't invest in the city then you don't contribute to it's ability to maintain itself.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:00 AM

30 posts, read 132,175 times
Yeah, I mean... wow. Michigan has problems and all, but this is the kind of hate filled speech that I talk about when I say that Michigan has a major issue trying to rebuild. Are there problems in Michigan? Oh yeah, loads. But fighting, and hatred will not get anyone anywhere.

Kwame, I think he's doing a better job this term. Tearing down historical buildings? What types of historical buildings? Just old buildings, or something with a historical significance? Cause if it's just some old dilapidated house build in 1907, well... it's time for it to come down. Michigan Central, GAR, Whitney House, these buildings hold significance and should be given the upmost oppurtunity for renovation.

City dwellers, Suburbanites? Who cares, we all live in Metro Detroit. Why must we always have a city/suburb battle over everything? Also, why must there be a white/black undertone to everything. For goodness sake, the past is the past and lets all grow up and move on, work together, and create something we can be proud of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit