Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:24 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,726,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieMirsade View Post
Detroit is not paying the cost of anything. It's population is dysfunctional. It cannot take care of itself, let alone of a dying city with a decaying infrastructure.

The BIG PROBLEM is that there is no more money to subsidize a failing city with an overwhelmingly dysfunctional population.
Especially when the people in that city are hostile to any intervention. They'll do anything, but take any blame for their sorry state.

It's cheaper to invest in immigration and the building of brand new communities.

Whatever scarce dollars do become available, they're not very likely to end up in Detroit's coffers. Detroit is not a priority for the US. It doesn't even seem to be a priority for the Black elite.
Heck, whenever the gov't hands out any $$$, the first billions always seem to go to Israel. So much for America's priorities.
As far as Obama is concerned, Detroit don't matter. AIPAC does.
Detroit is paying the cost because the city has to BALANCE IT's BUDGET....when the federal government does not and can issue bonds that will be purchased from the Fed who does so by creating electronic money out of bits and bytes. If Detroit could run deficts and print its own currency it could also delay the day of reckoning and make the city look a lot better than it looks now.

Lets see what America looks like when debits are forced to reconcile credits using generally accepted accounting practices. That is why there will be a major war.....because America will not be able to reconcile its debt obligations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 11:50 AM

73,108 posts, read 62,755,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Detroit is paying the cost because the city has to BALANCE IT's BUDGET....when the federal government does not and can issue bonds that will be purchased from the Fed who does so by creating electronic money out of bits and bytes. If Detroit could run deficts and print its own currency it could also delay the day of reckoning and make the city look a lot better than it looks now.

Lets see what America looks like when debits are forced to reconcile credits using generally accepted accounting practices. That is why there will be a major war.....because America will not be able to reconcile its debt obligations
If there will be a war, where and how will it start? And when I mean where, I don't mean a specific geographic location. I mean in which kind of situation.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If there will be a war, where and how will it start? And when I mean where, I don't mean a specific geographic location. I mean in which kind of situation.
I cannot tell you that but history is self replicating.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:32 PM

124 posts, read 213,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
Just wondering what does the bolded have to do with showing someone around??? And if your in poverty your in poverty, doesn't really matter if your in Detroit or not, matterfact, if I was poor I would rather be in Detroit, in some of these other cities being poor you would either be in a crammed up apartment somewhere or in an alley way freezing your ass off sharing a barrow of fire. Gas prices are high everywhere also. And yes DDOT is bad but it's not that bad, I have to use it sometimes and I know people who use it to get around and to even get to work everyday, and they still have jobs.
The bolded has everything to do with showing someone around. And again, we will respond to this question based upon our own individual experiences and ideas. And we have a right to express ourselves about it on this forum. So long as we're not being obscene.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:59 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,897,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Detroit is the perfect example of a failed city. Failed economically. Failed socially. Failed government. Failed on just about every level. You have a couple sports stadiums, a couple coney joints, and a couple decent colleges. Every now and then a show or a festival. Aside from that, there is no reason to go there, short of passing through on the way to Canada. The skyline is made up of ghost buildings, and the neighborhoods are war zones. Businesses are afraid to anchor there. The majority of citizens are apathetic, afraid, or both. Many of them would do anything it took just to keep the city the way it is now. Just look at the people they've elected to government in the past for all the proof you need. Even Bing, who was supposed to be a revitalizer, has adopted the "We don't need any outsiders" attitude. I'm from Detroit, and would never even consider moving my family back there. The city is literally a ruin.

Look at Chicago if you want to see what Detroit could have been. It may not have been as big, but it certainly could have been every bit as dynamic. Political shananigans aside, Chicago found a way to get it done. It will never happen with Detroit during any of our lifetimes now.
Yes there is. But what reasons would you have to go to other cities outside of those???

BS and BS. How is that possible when Detroit's skyline is lit up?
and true enough Detroit has quite a few rough neighborhoods bur war zones??? most places in Detroit are nothing like it. Just look at the top 25 most dangerous neighborhoods in America list, I think only 1 of Detroit's neighborhoods was actually on it.

As for the last paragraph MEGA BS. Chicago is going down the same road as Detroit. Yes of course it's in a better situation, they have the downtown, PT, and the northside but they have parallel problems. School system sucks, crime high as a G5 jet (Chicago's south and westsides if you want to talk about REAL war zones), major population loss, high illiteracy rate, also the black and mexican neighborhoods in Chicago are DAMN sure not any better than the ones in Detroit. Chicago does have better leaders (still corrupt but not to Detroit's level) but the way things have been going lately there it does not seem like the best example to follow from.
The average lifetime is what? 80 90 years?
a city can be built from the ground up into one of the greatest in the country in that period of time, you really think Detroit will be in this state for this long? ha, I guess time will tell. But it sounds a little ridiculous to me because I can't think of 1 city in America that has been the same for that long.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Yes there is. But what reasons would you have to go to other cities outside of those???

and true enough Detroit has quite a few rough neighborhoods bur war zones??? most places in Detroit are nothing like it. Just look at the top 25 most dangerous neighborhoods in America list, I think only 1 of Detroit's neighborhoods was actually on it.

As for the last paragraph MEGA BS. Chicago is going down the same road as Detroit. Yes of course it's in a better situation, they have the downtown, PT, and the northside but they have parallel problems. School system sucks, crime high as a G5 jet (Chicago's south and westsides if you want to talk about REAL war zones), major population loss, high illiteracy rate, also the black and mexican neighborhoods in Chicago are DAMN sure not any better than the ones in Detroit. Chicago does have better leaders (still corrupt but not to Detroit's level) but the way things have been going lately there it does not seem like the best example to follow from.
a city can be built from the ground up into one of the greatest in the country in that period of time, you really think Detroit will be in this state for this long? ha, I guess time will tell. But it sounds a little ridiculous to me because I can't think of 1 city in America that has been the same for that long.
That is just him wishing out loud.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:22 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,462,284 times
Quote:

Chicago is one of the world's great cities......an Alpha plus city (one of only eight worldwide in terms of global importance).....and you're sitting there saying it's not much better than DETROIT? People of ALL races go to Chicago for EVERY reason, including to LIVE and WORK. It is one of the most dynamic, exciting places anywhere on earth. Can the same be said of Detroit? Hardly. Your comparison is rank with illogical bias.

As for the lifetime scenario, well...let's see. I'm 43 now. Detroit has been down and out my entire lifetime.....so, I guess the question would be: Do I see anything going on currently that would make me believe it won't be the same 43 more years from now?

Do I even need to answer that?

Old 03-27-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
That is just him wishing out loud.
So untrue. But continue to paint with the brush of your choice.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Lit up? What constitutes lit up? Because the last time I went down there at night I didn't even see half the buildings until they were right in front of me. Or maybe you just need to go look at the Chicago, Houston, New York, Atlanta, Minneapolis, LA ,or Seattle skylines so you can see what "Lit up" DOES constitute.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:45 PM

82 posts, read 153,723 times
Detroit will never die even when it looks like a zombie. Worked all day today doing some masonry work for some slum lord near State Fair and Gratiot not far from where I grew up and I can solidly say that's a failed neighborhood. I actually lived deeper in the city and that was actually nicer at one time. It's not a race thing either or white flight or 1960's riot thing, there are whites and blacks both hanging out all day. Like the white guy who wanted to fight me I would have beat him if I wanted to but I felt he was crazy do to the tattoos all over his face or the white girl who lived in part of the duplex who begged me for money all day. It's not white flight it's normal person flight, both black, white or any ethic people who are normal have fled from this area but not all areas of Detroit, it's actually the opposite in many parts of Detroit. So, "Is Detroit a failed city?" my answer is no. Even with former solid communities becoming ****holes other areas have become vibrant and are thriving. It may be small but in the scope of time Detroit is not all that old, many European cities were undesirable for nearly a century before they had a rebirth. Detroit will come back one day that day may take decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit