Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:00 AM

348 posts, read 638,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Ironically more white people voted for Obama than black. I personally voted for Obama because that who I wanted to vote for.
Well, after Bush
Obama was a refreshing change.

Now, he's become a stale disappointment.

On the other hand, the "White" candidates that are running against him, aren't much better.

I keep asking myself, HOW IS IT that the world's most powerful nation
CANNOT PRODUCE DECENT LEADERSHIP?

Is it because of the corruption in Washington, where all the pre-selection occurs,
where the interest groups and influential media,
VET OUT all the decent candidates, and promote only the "yes-men", (the ones that can be manipulated, coerced, bought)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 12:04 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieMirsade View Post
Well, after Bush
Obama was a refreshing change.

Now, he's become a stale disappointment.

On the other hand, the "White" candidates that are running against him, aren't much better.

I keep asking myself, HOW IS IT that the world's most powerful nation
CANNOT PRODUCE DECENT LEADERSHIP?

Is it because of the corruption in Washington, where all the pre-selection occurs,
where the interest groups and influential media,
VET OUT all the decent candidates, and promote only the "yes-men", (the ones that can be manipulated, coerced, bought)?
It would be hard for anyone to get anything done when there are people fighting you every step of the way. How many times have people continuously postponed and fight something that Obama was trying to do? There are people who are more worried about getting Obama out of office then helping this country make a come back. The Washington DC has turned into a political gang war.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:38 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
I apologize that my comments caused a derailment of this thread. My point was not to debate the deficiencies of our President, but merely to point out that people can often judge a debater based on their physical appearance and speaking abilities (as opposed to strength of argument), and therefore I probably would not do well in a visual city-data debate.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:30 PM

25 posts, read 30,359 times
Default Here I come, S.E. Michigan

This was a well-written post; I enjoyed reading it and a few of the responses. I'm considering moving to the southeast area of Michigan after retiring from the military. I have begun reading forums like this as one part of my effort toward developing an area analysis: culture, social, economy, employment, security/safety, entertainment, history, etc.

I've seen a lot of comments that simply argue the existence of racial concepts regarding the overall health of Detroit. This line of thinking is kind of strange from my experiences and understanding of America. In my perspective --it exists. Doesn't it? Aren't we the country that formed and in many regions economically depended on a productive slave trade? Don't we have laws dating back further than the Emancipation Proclamation and right up to modern day that attempt to balance/mitigate/equalize/tolerate/embrace many different racial tensions, socioeconomic imbalances, prejudices and concepts? No one is right in this thread and no one is wrong. There are elements from every angle of socialization regarding diversity experiences --from extremists and racists, to ignorance and nonexistent, and on to activists, allies, tolerance, embracers, etc. At least accept that part of American culture --in every city of the country --in some form of cultural/social existence.

I think an important question might be now, is how can America turn Detroit into the "model" example of a successful (majority) black community? I think this concept is more in line with America's current diversity challenges. We talk about it. Well, here is a city that is in dire need of action.

When I think of some of the racial and stereotypical comments that I've experienced or heard our modern American times, it seems to me that the entire country would unite to successfully develop Detroit: its children and educational resources; its security and safety; its employment and economy; its government and policies; and just the overall health of the entire city.

Some white people (and even black people) proclaim, "Slavery has been over long enough and blacks have every opportunity to succeed as whites, or any other race!" Some black people (and even white people) proclaim, "When slavery ended, no one gave black people an immediate education, house, job, or property the minute it ended --instead another history of hatred and oppression began!" All true statements if asked to simply answer yes or no. But, our racial issues are much deeper than any one person's understanding. And if black communities want white communities to understand socioeconomic oppression, and white communities want the black communities to start fighting for their own social status instead of falling behind, yet neither one of the communities who think like this are willing to "plan/act" to make it happen, then what good are of these opinions and stereotypes and suggestions on who's fault "racism" is or is not? It's true, no black person is forced into American slavery today. Fine, I get it. And it's true, no white person in America today is allowed to be a slave owner. Again, I get it. But our generation is living with the end result of what happens to nation who once adopted slavery, survived on slavery, and then abolished it with no immediate, hardcore, and deliberate efforts to resolve the socioeconomic balance. Yes, we've long since been making that effort in recent times. I get that too. But, are we finished? Are we, Detroit? Maybe some law states that discrimination is wrong. But, that doesn't help the reality of Detroit or many other communities. And not just majority black communities. I'm speaking in black and white only because of the topic.

So, instead of Detroit's black politicians screaming "white supremacy" and white politicians screaming "no, its crisis management" --why don't they all wakeup and realize the potential healing this nation could take if they figure out a plan to eventually force Detroit into survival with its current racial/diversity makeup? Isn't that what white people are always screaming about --with their stereotypes of blacks being criminals, unemployed, and uneducated? Isn't that what white middle class fears --the violent and poor racial neighborhoods? Isn't that what blacks are angry about --white Europeans enslaved them, then pushed them on the streets to survive? Isn't that what some black people fear --the white power that governs all races of America? Well, doesn't repairing Detroit as a healthy (majority black) city answer some of these concerns and fears?

I'm not speaking for everyone, those comments are "generalizations". But I made the comments from the "grass roots" perspective, because these are real stereotypes and realities that exist. These are my experiences. I'm sure there are plenty who disagree or have not experienced it. But I don't think "dancing around the bush" on racial issues is necessary any longer. It never really was. Who is America trying to hide from with all of the "delicate" language when talking around race? The more education it seems a person achieves, the more politically we shape our language around adjectives that "avoid" offending someone. Well, calling-out our nation's current racial issues by its name, it is not intended to be offensive unless you're being outright racist. Instead, being upfront and identifying a problem with the hopeful effort of forming solutions is helpful dialogue and action, in my opinion.

So that's my questions: how does Federal / American and State / Michigan unite to develop a plan of attack that will slowly progress Detroit into yet one more historical achievement of equality that has been the fighting effort of this country's culture since the first person stood up and spoke against mistreatment of any divers group, and the first person who responded to that with action? And that historical achievement could be a healthy "black led" 700,000+ populated Detroit city, with at least an American average crime rate, economic status, employment, education, etc. And an every day safe American city to relocate to --regardless of the person's ethnicity/color/race who is actually passing through!

Just my thoughts! Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to provide an answer to my own question.

-T

Last edited by Torn December; 02-03-2013 at 12:50 PM.. Reason: Typos

Old 02-03-2013, 01:25 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Good post. Very excellent points, December.

I would love to see a future Detroit that isn't dictated by how much of a majority one particular race occupies the city, because in the end, don't we as citizens all have the same needs?

I think you're asking the right question, December, but it really should be directed at Detroit's city council because they are the ones who truly have the power to change the city and allow others to come in and help. The state of Michigan has attempted to come in but each attempt is met with opposition. At the same time, I believe, the council doesn't put forth any ideas that benefit the citizens or potential citizens and even tourists and visitors of Detroit. It overall promotes a very negative image of the city even going past the high crime rates. Politicians should not act as barriers to progress and should be the leaders of it.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:37 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Unfortunately, the "white whoore" has left the city. It just isn't the politicians who are barriers to progress. Let's face it, city clowncil's attitude is reflected in too many folks opinion. So too is mama Kilpatrick whe she said something about "We ain't gonna let THEM lynch your boy."
And let's not forget the greatest influence of attitude--Coleman.
Unfortumately the only people with stake in Detroit are the folks who live in the city limits--and theyt do not appear to be in any rush to change direction.

Crittendon 4 MAYOR!

Old 02-03-2013, 03:40 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn December View Post

Some white people (and even black people) proclaim, "Slavery has been over long enough and blacks have every opportunity to succeed as whites, or any other race!"

-T

Watch the Blue Eyed/Brown eyed experiment. Then think about if that experiment had been carried on for 30-40 years instead of two days. How long would it take the Brown eyed kids to recover and do well again? Maybe it would happen immediately like in the experiment. Maybe it would take decades.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:16 PM

Thanks, Animated Martian. I believe that your last *bolded* statement is in some part a contribution to the refusal of these Michigan attempts and the city council's non-beneficial efforts. And that is --forming sides -- avoiding sides --and sides that can't do it without the sides who only want to help if they gain something! It's like a sick game of Monopoly with an entire city of real people, instead of a quest of rebuilding lives. And if Detroit fails, what city is next? Or is our country finally so populated and media-saturated to the point of numbness that the humanity of it is no real concern? Maybe there is fear in aiding Detroit to full potential? After all, isn't the Hispanic and black American populations growing at a much quicker rate than the white majority? I'm also willing to image that Detroit's issues are far greater than racial concerns and fights for control. There are a lot of archaic industrial beltline cities, and others, in economic declines that also include white population declines and black population increases. Checked City-Data and found many of them.

Could be that no one is strategically going to position themselves in an opportunity that will not either gain or maintain influential control. In other words, in terms of interest, everyone feels right, and yet due to this --everyone is losing. I won't even begin to admit that I understand the full depth of recovering a city, nor all of Detroit's social and economic concerns and history. But, I do understand arguments, media coverage, and public outcries. And you're right on the money with that comment, regardless if there is a lot more to it than what we perhaps see.

Thanks again for sharing!

-T

Old 02-03-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Watch the Blue Eyed/Brown eyed experiment. Then think about if that experiment had been carried on for 30-40 years instead of two days. How long would it take the Brown eyed kids to recover and do well again? Maybe it would happen immediately like in the experiment. Maybe it would take decades.
Thanks, Cold. Definitely studied that a few years back in Psychology class. Great and alarming example.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:05 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times
Hey, December. I don't really have anything to add, I just wanted to say thanks for serving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit