Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:46 AM

26 posts, read 81,321 times

Advertisements

I am currently considering a job transfer from California out to MI. This transfer would probably be a couple of years. I am looking to move into an area close to Sterling Heights and Troy. I am single, 27, Latina, and an engineer. Can anyone recommend a safe area that has people around my age and affordable housing? I know that rent is less there... but still looking for any suggestions around the $700 area. I am also looking for a reputable graduate school in engineering.

On a separate note, going off statistics and city data it looks like the area is not as diverse as I'm used to.. any insight into how good the ethnic relations are out there? I'm not too concerned though, just curiosity really.

Thank you alL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 11:20 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,985 times
Pontiac has a lot of Latinos and is very affordable. I am not sure how safe the areas are that you may be looking at though in that price range. I'm sure someone else can add more.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:50 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
I feel overall Pontiac is not a safe area. I can't say much about Sterling Height cause I am not familiar. Where is your job? Near Troy I would suggest Royal Oak,Troy,Birmingham though it may be more expensive. I had a friend who was an engineer living in RO who enjoyed it. There is a downtown area with restaurants and clubs. Troy has Somerset Mall which is a really nice upscale mall. Birmingham is near both which has outdoor shops and restaurants which is nice to walk around in the summer. As for graduate school I am not sure how the engineer program but you may want to research Wayne State University and Oakland University which are near. Further out in Ann Arbor is U of M. I lived most of my life in MI and for short period I moved to Southern California. It is a way different feel MI from CA. There are pro's and con's of each.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:23 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I feel overall Pontiac is not a safe area. I can't say much about Sterling Height cause I am not familiar. Where is your job? Near Troy I would suggest Royal Oak,Troy,Birmingham though it may be more expensive. I had a friend who was an engineer living in RO who enjoyed it. There is a downtown area with restaurants and clubs. Troy has Somerset Mall which is a really nice upscale mall. Birmingham is near both which has outdoor shops and restaurants which is nice to walk around in the summer. As for graduate school I am not sure how the engineer program but you may want to research Wayne State University and Oakland University which are near. Further out in Ann Arbor is U of M. I lived most of my life in MI and for short period I moved to Southern California. It is a way different feel MI from CA. There are pro's and con's of each.
What about Ferndale? Depending on where the job is located, what about some of the Downriver communities, which tends to have a few more Hispanics/Latinos?

Doesn't U of M-Dearborn have some engineering programs too?

Old 03-23-2010, 01:05 PM

339 posts, read 976,015 times
I don't know how important it is to you to be near latinos, but just be aware that the latino population in metro Detroit is minimal. We are engineers too and we are both latinos and we live in Sterling Heights. There are some south american and european families in my neigboorhood but I consider that very rare. Now that been said I don't think it matters. I have never felt any type of prejudice against me or my family (my husband is white but I'm tan so I look very latina). Also consider that there are a lot of indian and asian families in the area so people in general are used to diversity in one way or another. In the area of Troy I don't think you will have no issues either.

The only thing is that SH and Troy are family oriented areas and you may feel a little out of place. Royal Oak may be more of your liking if been around other single people is important to you but with that budget you have to do a lot of research to make sure you are in a safe area.

My husband went to UofM for his graduate degrees and it was a very difficult commute, I did mine in Oakland U, much easier commute. There are plenty of Universities in the metro area were you can do a graduate degree in engineering, there are a lot of engineers in this area.

Good Luck.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:07 PM

My job located in Troy. It is not necessary that I be around other Latinos... I was just curious really. I do however, want to be around the younger single crowd rather than the family homes though. $700 is just an idea. It's flexible... just figured since I'm out there I might as well save some money, but I will definitely be looking at a SAFE area over cheap.

I'll take a look at Royal Oak. Sounds good.

It does lookt like UofM offers the graduate engineering degree I'm looking for.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:51 PM

On a follow up.. what's are the safe areas of Royal Oak?

Old 03-23-2010, 05:52 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,985 times
Well if being around singles is more important, I also recommend Royal Oak. Royal Oak is a pretty safe town, especially if you are closer to the downtown area or north of it around 11 mile road. In general the further you are north of 8 mile road, the better. But you won't get the ethnicity there.

Just stay away from Royal Oak Township, that is not nearly as nice.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:19 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
I am not that familiar with the good and bad part of RO but I think downtown is safe and young or the area bordering Birmingham. Another thought are you thinking of U of M in Dearborn or U of M Ann Arbor. If Ann Arbor you could live in Farmington Hills or Novi. This would be a half way mark between Troy and your work in Ann Arbor. With M-5 it has made the drive a lot easier. I really think Birmingham is a cute area too though not sure the price.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:32 PM

Thanks guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit