Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 01:18 PM

38 posts, read 58,098 times

Advertisements

All suggestions are appreciated. Looking to get a 3 bedroom apartment.
Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 03:31 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Downtown or mid town. Otherwise the only thing within 20 minutes is Grosse Pointe. Maybe Dearborn, but that is pushing the 20 minute limit. I just met someone staying in one of the apartment buildings near Broderick they he said is one of the only nice "dog friendly" apartments downtown and is affordable too. He loves living there. Unfortunately I do not recall the name of the place. He said he lives on the 11th floor I think so it must be at least 11 stories high, it is near Broderick and his apt faces out over Comerica park. Maybe someone can figure out what building that is. However I think all of the apartments downtown have a waiting list. When are you planning to move?

Old 04-24-2013, 04:16 PM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,157 times
Kales building, perhaps? That's off GCP. The Kales Building - Detroit Home Page

You could rent a three bedroom bungalow in Ferndale/Madison Heights and that's a quick 15 min drive down 75.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:43 PM

340 posts, read 913,869 times
Royal Oak and Ferndale are also options

Old 04-24-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Kales building, perhaps? That's off GCP. The Kales Building - Detroit Home Page

You could rent a three bedroom bungalow in Ferndale/Madison Heights and that's a quick 15 min drive down 75.
That surprises me, although I do not doubt you, I do not know that area real well. However when i go up that way in rush hour traffic it seems like it takes me 20 minutes just to get out of Detroit City Limits. Frequently it takes 7-8 minutes just to get on the 375.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:55 PM

38 posts, read 58,098 times
Thanks all!

Quote:
Downtown or mid town. Otherwise the only thing within 20 minutes is Grosse Pointe. Maybe Dearborn, but that is pushing the 20 minute limit. I just met someone staying in one of the apartment buildings near Broderick they he said is one of the only nice "dog friendly" apartments downtown and is affordable too. He loves living there. Unfortunately I do not recall the name of the place. He said he lives on the 11th floor I think so it must be at least 11 stories high, it is near Broderick and his apt faces out over Comerica park. Maybe someone can figure out what building that is. However I think all of the apartments downtown have a waiting list. When are you planning to move?
Thanks a lot! I saw some pretty astronomical prices for downtown apartments in another thread- how much do you think I could expect without venturing out of the safe area? Going off your suggestion, I found a website for "Broderick Apartments", and the prices looked relatively reasonable (though more than I had been hoping to pay). It looks like I might be out of luck here anyways, though- my friend and I were looking at moving within a few weeks. Do you think areas such as Ferndale, Madison Heights, and Clawson would be much more than 20 minutes commute-wise? Google maps says only 15-20 minutes. Thanks again!

Old 04-24-2013, 10:11 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,599,691 times
Rent | Midtown Detroit Inc.

There's usually some good listings here. Most are filled with university students and of course a lot of the older buildings aren't as furnished as the newer ones more recently renovated ones (like Broderick), but there's a good place to start. I'm not sure how often they update these listings, so as always your most update to information would be from calling the respective apartments.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:47 AM

Broderick is full and has a waiting list. It is a really nice building downtown. There are others in the area that are cheaper (like the one I mentioned that allows dogs). Not as high and fancy as Broderick, but still nicely re-done former office buildings and at least the one I mentioned has tenant retention events (like parties and such).

Apparently Ferndale and MH are within 20 minutes, I cannot be certain. It surprises me because as I said, going north (which I do not do often), it often takes me 20 minutes to get outside Detroit City limits during rush hour. However someone else said it can be done inside of 20 minutes. They are probably correct.

I am told Millender Center is about to be updated. It recently changed owners.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:12 PM

4 posts, read 26,552 times
Default Ferndale commute time

I live in Ferndale, just north of 8 mile, and unless something crazy happens on the freeway, I can get downtown in 15/20 minutes most of the time. With minimal traffic, it takes 10/15, and in really bad traffic, closer to 30 minutes.

Think about it this way, you are roughly 8 miles north of the city center if you are at 8 mile (even with the angle that Woodward takes, it's under 9 miles). So if you are averaging even just 30 mph, it won't take you more than 18 minutes to get downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit