Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:37 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,860,382 times

Advertisements

Discussion started in the Michigan section:

L. Brooks Patterson goes a bit too far in New Yorker article: "Drop Dead, Detroit!"

Old 01-20-2014, 11:46 AM

171 posts, read 188,941 times
I always said the only reason Oakland County is even worth anything is because they poached Detroit big time! There was nothing innovative to it. Detroit didn't help itself by letting crime run out of control though. Why would he even make those comments when we need the region to be unified? A lot of people could easily take what he said and really make it look bad....

Old 01-20-2014, 11:51 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,747,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2c313 View Post
I always said the only reason Oakland County is even worth anything is because they poached Detroit big time! There was nothing innovative to it. Detroit didn't help itself by letting crime run out of control though. Why would he even make those comments when we need the region to be unified? A lot of people could easily take what he said and really make it look bad....
+1.

You pretty much summed up my feelings in a nutshell.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:55 AM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
Quote:
Why would he even make those comments when we need the region to be unified?
"We" do, but LBP doesn't. Like you inferred: Detroit's loss is Oakland County's gain. From his perspective as a politician of a particular municipality, it is to his benefit to make his municipality look good and to make others look bad.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
"We" do, but LBP doesn't. Like you inferred: Detroit's loss is Oakland County's gain. From his perspective as a politician of a particular municipality, it is to his benefit to make his municipality look good and to make others look bad.
The problem is, the fact that folks keep re-electing LBP implies that they support and even encourage his opinions.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:37 PM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
The problem is, the fact that folks keep re-electing LBP implies that they support and even encourage his opinions.
No doubt they do. It is too easy for us to separate ourselves. I might go to Oakland County but a couple times a year, so why should I be concerned whether or not they become an Indian reservation that we throw corn into?

Obviously on a humanitarian level I care, but on a political/economic level do I?...should I? I mean, why should OakCo be more concerned about WayneCo than they are about GenesseeCo?... or LapeerCo?...or the starving people in Africa?

Isn't it up to each municipality to do what is best for themselves? And I am not condoning "poaching" which I think is a stretch of what really happened. OakCo merely provided a better environment for people to live in and open/move businesses in.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Obviously on a humanitarian level I care, but on a political/economic level do I?...should I?
Because our fates are intertwined.

A metropolitan area can't be successful (by that, I mean growing and economically vibrant) without some type of anchor to attract outsider. As the saying goes, united we stand and divided we fall (city and suburbs).

Cutting off your nose to spite your face is a non-starter.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:46 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,497,620 times
Quote:
Wah.

People love to hate Brooks because he built Oakland County despite having the crime infested rathole of Detroit on its border. A pretty amazing accomplishment, if you ask me. He tells the truth about Detroit and doesn't sugarcoat it. You can't tell me the things he's quoted as saying aren't 100% true. I hope Brooks runs Oakland County until he's 150. He's a big reason why I live here.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:47 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,497,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Because our fates are intertwined.

A metropolitan area can't be successful (by that, I mean growing and economically vibrant) without some type of anchor to attract outsider.

Cutting off your nose to spite your face is a non-starter.
Yeah, I guess one of the 10 wealthiest counties in the country with a sterling credit rating isn't very successful.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:50 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,860,382 times
Quote:
Oakland County never would have popped up if it weren't for Detroit, plain and simple. Most of the employers in Oakland County are automotive tech related, which got their start in Detroit. Most of the wealthiest neighborhoods in Oakland County got their start from automotive fortunes. At a bare minimum he should acknowledge that he'd be nothing without Detroit. He'd be mayor of Bad Axe if it weren't for Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit