Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:11 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,491,794 times

Advertisements

From Freep.com:

Details are still being worked out, but a premiere party for the first prime-time drama produced in the Motor City, "Detroit 1-8-7," is scheduled for Sept. 7, a representative from the show told the Free Press on Sunday.

The party, which is expected to include red carpet arrivals from its stars and a special screening of the premiere episode, is to take place at the MGM Grand Detroit's Grand Ballroom. The event will not be open to the public.
"Detroit 1-8-7," the ensemble drama starring Michael Imperioli ("The Sopranos"), James McDaniel ("NYPD Blue") and Erin Cummings ("Spartacus: Blood and Sand"), is to premiere at 10 p.m. Sept. 21 on WXYZ-TV (Channel 7).

Read more: 'Detroit 1-8-7' plans red carpet premiere in city | freep.com | Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/article/20100830/ENT07/8300366/1322/Detroit-1-8-7-plans-red-carpet-premiere-in-city#ixzz0y69s043p - broken link)

As far as I know, this is the first of its kind to take place in Detroit. With all the movies and shows being filmed here, perhaps more premieres could follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 07:40 AM

Consensus from the Detroit 1-8-7 premier last night at MGM Grand is that overall the show will be a plus for the city, according to the Detroit News:

'Detroit 1-8-7' puts focus (good and bad) on city | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/article/20100908/ENT10/9080373/-Detroit-1-8-7--puts-focus-(good-and-bad)-on-city - broken link)

Old 09-08-2010, 08:15 AM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,837 times
This is great! Congrats Detroit!!!!

Old 09-08-2010, 01:34 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,504,837 times
Here you go FS!

Bing: Strong neighborhoods key to revitalizing Detroit | freep.com | Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/article/20100908/NEWS01/100908020/Bing-Strong-neighborhoods-key-to-revitalizing-Detroit - broken link)

Old 09-08-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterribleone View Post
Here you go FS!

Bing: Strong neighborhoods key to revitalizing Detroit | freep.com | Detroit Free Press (http://www.freep.com/article/20100908/NEWS01/100908020/Bing-Strong-neighborhoods-key-to-revitalizing-Detroit - broken link)
Thanks TTO, i'll give it its own thread.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:32 PM

Default Detroit 1-8-7 Premier Tonight at 10PM on ABC (Channel 7)

Wanted to bump this in light of the premier tonight at 10PM on ABC. I'll have to DVR this one because I'm not passing up tickets to the Tigers game! But, I hope it's as good as expected.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100919/ENT03/9190309/1362/Ent/Detroit-1-8-7-puts-Motor-City-in-the-spotlight

P.S. Anyone else notice the tandem airplanes flying around downtown all day yesterday advertising Detroit 1-8-7? I think one banner read "Great Cops Made In Detroit" and the other had the name of the show.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:46 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,993,530 times
I watched most of it last night (will watch the rest on the DVR) and thought it was a good show. Since I moved away a year and a half ago it was good to see the city again.

I thought it was funny when they were looking for a bullet on the street and kept finding other bullets that didn't fit the description.

I liked Imperioli when he was on Life on Mars, never watched the Sopranos.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:32 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
I thought it was a bit disappointing. I should have realized that they were not really thinking things through from the name of the show alone (1-8-7 is homocide in the California Penal Code, not in Michigan). There were many scenes where I looked at the background saying "there is nothing like this here" That is becuase much of it was filmed in Atlanta Georgia. THe story was pretty lame and the acting was lackluster. No real energy. There were way too many white people in the show for a believeable depiction of Detroit. The perpetrator and at least three of the victims were white. Half the police were white and the police station seemed wto be filled with a majority of white people. The sped up scenes of Detroit traffic were really duppy. It was not clear why those were included at all, maybe they needed to fill time. THe cell phone/baby thing was kind of funny, but it was not developed enough to be really funny and the attempt at the end to make it poignant fell flat on its face, at least for me. None of the characters were well developed and none of them were very likable or dislikable, they were just kind of flat. There were some odd pauses where it appeared that the actors were struggling to remember their lines and some of the delivery was terrible or contrived in some instances. The search for the shell casing was pretty funny, but it was a bash on Detroit.

This is a show that cannot decide what it is. Is it a documentary or fictional documentary? Is it an action show like NCIS? Is it a clever, witty detective show like Monk or Psych? It tries to be all of these things but only a little bit of each. This show needs an identity.

Overall I regretted having stayed up to watch it, I could have been much better entertained by sleeping. The show could be salvaged, but they need to get better writers, director, and introduce some new characters. Some characters have some promise if they are developed well, but they can kill off many of the others and introduce new, better characters. The actors also need to learn the script earlier so that they can focus on acting rather than trying to remember their lines.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:44 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,993,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
There were way too many white people in the show for a believeable depiction of Detroit. The perpetrator and at least three of the victims were white.
I agree. But you realize if most of the perpetrators would have been black (like real life in the city) there would have been an uproar.

I did like the comment about fighting them down here so we don't have to fight them in Ferndale.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:51 PM

5 posts, read 11,887 times
I thought it was great for a pilot. It's not a reality show so I never expected chisled accuracy. Can't wait for the next episode!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: