Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 10:28 PM

603 posts, read 877,215 times

Advertisements

I think a healthy downtown core is essential for a successful metro area but I agree that it would be more advantageous to poach companies from nearby cities in other states rather than from your own state. When companies from Oakland County relocate to downtown it does not add any new jobs or tax dollars to the state of Michigan. Now if you can get a large financial firm from Chicago to relocate in Detroit it's another story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2014, 05:49 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,493,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Gilbert can move his employees anywhere he wants.
You're absolutely right. However, he can't put himself out there as the savior of Detroit and lecture others when he was willing to send his operations to Cleveland if he didn't get the subsidies he wanted. His screaming and crying about Pulte Homes moving their HQ to Atlanta was the height of hypocrisy.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:26 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
I agree that it would be better if it was from out of state, but the fact that this is LBP getting his panties in a bunch after what he has been saying and doing is just hilarious to me.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:56 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,111 times
The hypocrisy is real with this one.

When OC was poaching businesses from Detroit for the past 40 years, it was "growth" and "progress."

Here's a list of the top 25 employers in OC I found and where they're based, or where they were originally founded/based (obviously this includes The Palace of Auburns Hills and the DETROIT Pistons):

Quote:
1. Beaumont Health System
2. Chrysler Group LLC - Poached from Highland Park
3. General Motors Co. – Based in Detroit
4. CHE Trinity Health C
5. St. John Providence Health System
8. Henry Ford Health System
9. Flagstar Bancorp Inc. – Oakland County
10. Botsford Health Care
12. Comerica Bank – Founded in Detroit
13. Detroit Medical Center D – Based in Detroit
14. Lear Corp. - Poached
15. Crittenton Hospital Medical Center
17. J.P. Morgan Chase & Co.
20. Delphi Automotive plc - Poached
21. Comau Inc. – Part of Chrysler (I believe) which was poached
22. Kelly Services Inc.- Started in Detroit
24. Faurecia North America
Now it's a problem when these businesses decide to move back into the city...

Old 11-11-2014, 09:01 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Competition is good. Companies should move to wherever they get the best deal (often funded by the taxpayers, most of whom in Detroit will not benefit). I agree with LBP that it is no net benefit for the Detroit metro area though. We need to "steal" businesses from other metros.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
He's right. Why would MI taxpayers subsidize a game of "musical jobs"? It's idiotic for his constituents to pay for the privilege of having longer commutes and smaller salaries, by subsidizing job relocations downtown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfactor85 View Post
Unfortunately, the new "growth" of Detroit is mostly directly attributed to companies moving from the suburbs to the city. Everyone is competing for a shrinking pie. What should be done is to entice companies from out of the region and to work together between the city and the suburbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Quicken was the poster child for this, ironically, when they moved out of Livonia. Gilbert threatened to move their HQ to Cleveland and Granholm and Kwame scrambled to put together a sweetheart tax break. It ended up being a net loss for the state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown1 View Post
I think a healthy downtown core is essential for a successful metro area but I agree that it would be more advantageous to poach companies from nearby cities in other states rather than from your own state. When companies from Oakland County relocate to downtown it does not add any new jobs or tax dollars to the state of Michigan. Now if you can get a large financial firm from Chicago to relocate in Detroit it's another story.
Having a stronger urban core benefits the entire region.

Before we can attract outside investment, outside investors must first see that we (as in the major economic players in Metro Detroit) have some faith in the region's urban core ourselves.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:15 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,778 times
Quote:
You're absolutely right. However, he can't put himself out there as the savior of Detroit and lecture others when he was willing to send his operations to Cleveland if he didn't get the subsidies he wanted. His screaming and crying about Pulte Homes moving their HQ to Atlanta was the height of hypocrisy.
He's a businessman and also a politician when needed FCOL. Since when are they "fair-and-balanced" about their own empires - and why complain about his hypocrisy but ignore that of others - like LBP?
IMO this can all be seen as business-as-usual infighting. No profit-minded businessman is concerned about little things like "hypocrisy", and they aren't really expected to be. As GWB said - "Money trumps".

Old 11-11-2014, 12:21 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,493,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
He's a businessman and also a politician when needed FCOL. Since when are they "fair-and-balanced" about their own empires - and why complain about his hypocrisy but ignore that of others - like LBP?
IMO this can all be seen as "business-as-usual" infighting. As GWB said - "Money trumps".
I'm just pointing out that tax incentives to lure businesses are a zero sum game. Aside from the politicians at the ribbon cutting ceremony, everyone loses. And it's not just a problem in our region.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ives.html?_r=0

Old 11-11-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I'm just pointing out that tax incentives to lure businesses are a zero sum game. Aside from the politicians at the ribbon cutting ceremony, everyone loses. And it's not just a problem in our region.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ives.html?_r=0
It is zero-sum - nationally, internationally, and galactic, but not locally. That's why they do it. Your loss is my gain. That's also what "Right-to-Work" is all about.
Yet I must say that with outsourcing perks, it's not zero-sum nationally either.

Old 11-11-2014, 01:20 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,754,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
This gave me a good laugh, for all the sh*t he talks, I just wish I would have seen his face when he found out 5/3 was moving downtown. OC has been doing this to Detroit for years, now that the shoe is on the other foot, it's "grumpy old man" time.
Exactly. What's the worst possible outcome in this situation, seriously? Some highly-desirable office space opens up in crowded Oakland, while Detroit fills empty offices with employed people for a change! How horrible!

Old 11-11-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Exactly. What's the worst possible outcome in this situation, seriously? Some highly-desirable office space opens up in crowded Oakland, while Detroit fills empty offices with employed people for a change! How horrible!
Funny how, in the suburban mindset, "beneficial regional growth and prosperity" only applies to areas outside of Detroit. And still, they love to say it is all the locals' fault that Detroit can't prosper.
They have been smug when getting their way, but at some point when profit is involved, we knew they would start eating their own - it always happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit