Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 12:13 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,864,413 times

Advertisements

This is an unusual question; "best town in Michigan" is extremely subjective, as others have noted. Novi is a great place to live, but not my personal favorite.
Monster-lady, please calm down. You and your kids will be OK.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:45 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
This is an unusual question; "best town in Michigan" is extremely subjective, as others have noted. Novi is a great place to live, but not my personal favorite.
The Detroiters are coming the Detroiters are coming.....hide your valuables, women and children!!!

Old 02-15-2015, 12:53 PM

16 posts, read 27,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
I am from the area and I haven't been back in awhile, I however remember how bad the area where my grandparents lived on Livernois and McNichols and I don't want to buy in an area that is having an influx of people who do that to neighborhoods. That is my only concern and no one has answered it...is Novi "diversifying"/having an influx of Detroiters etc. I know the line has expanded past city limits into Redford and Westland and "enriched" those areas but how far?

Old 02-15-2015, 01:55 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,864,413 times
You and your children will be very safe in Novi. The crime rate is low. Relax.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:53 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Ahhh...the "old guard" with the "their goes the neighborhood" narrative, which creates a self fulfilling prophecy when assumed in mass. Hopefully Novi's demographic reflects a younger perspective and not one circa Selma, Alabama.
Aww come on I.S. You know us coons and filthy nig*ers oops I mean "Detroiters" can only afford section 8 housing because were all unemployed and on welfare and of course we got to rob and kill those suburbanites when we get out there too.

Quote:
The Detroiters are coming the Detroiters are coming.....hide your valuables, women and children!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBn85jCRsUM
You know what "Detroiters" is code word for.
Quote:
I am from the area and I haven't been back in awhile, I however remember how bad the area where my grandparents lived on Livernois and McNichols and I don't want to buy in an area that is having an influx of people who do that to neighborhoods. That is my only concern and no one has answered it...is Novi "diversifying"/having an influx of Detroiters etc. I know the line has expanded past city limits into Redford and Westland and "enriched" those areas but how far?
6 mile and livernois has the U of D, beautiful University District, and densely populated Bagley neighborhood. Not to mention "Avenue of Fashion" district down the street.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:59 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,220 times
No, the black folks from Detroit have not moved en masse to Novi. There are a small sprinklng of few black folk, but not all FORMER Detroiters who have bailed on the city are bad people - they would need to have money to move into Novi. (If you bailed on the city for the suburbs, you are no longer a Detroiter).

Novi a great, safe community. It is mostly white, with a good-sized population of Asians, so you don't have to worry.

Old 02-15-2015, 03:10 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
6 mile and livernois has the U of D, beautiful University District, and densely populated Bagley neighborhood. Not to mention "Avenue of Fashion" district down the street.
And don't forget about the Martin Park community, the neighborhood just east of the University. Very elegant and well-maintained homes in this neighborhood as well.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=norma...=12,95.68,,0,7

16882 PRINCETON Street, Detroit MI 48221 - MLS# 214111483

Old 02-15-2015, 05:06 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,015 times
This is one of the more absurd threads on here on awhile. Is this a troll poster?

Old 02-15-2015, 05:41 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterintheMirror View Post
Section 8 is in every town? How is that integration I thought integration was about race? Now we have to be integrated by income too? Can I get section 8 and move to Malibu CA? I am hard pressed to believe there is subsidized housing in EVERY community..because personally as someone who pays there bills I don't want to live next door to someone who doesn't regardless of their neighborliness. I can't afford much but I work and I think that's insane that just because someone is sick they get free luxury housing or housing at all. When my mother was sick and couldn't work it was her pension plus me and my siblings helping her. I don't know there should really be a database for that because there is no reason I should have to pay to live near someone who deserves to be homeless. And by Novi's demographics you know exactly what I mean..Has there been an influx of Detroiters like in Eastpointe. The home looks really nice but I don't want to live in a transitional community that is having an influx of people moving in from Detroit or Pontiac. Which would be better for that? Novi or Sterling Heights? The census is from 5 years ago so can anyone who is there tell me if recently many Detroiters have entered the communuty? Is it a school choice district?
I don't think you have a clear picture of how Section 8 operates. It's not just the government running around building designated Section 8 housing everywhere. Private landlords have the option of going Section 8 with their properties, regardless of where they are, and many do because the rent is guaranteed and the government is willing to pay higher than the going rate much of the time.

My DH and I used to own rental property in Ohio and we were approached about going Section 8 on more than one occasion. We did not opt to do so, but our apartments were not in a bad area or school district if we had. I think the government feels that children who live in Section 8 housing have a right to attend decent schools and live in safe neighborhoods and should not be penalized just because their parents are poor.

Regardless of how you feel about it, Section 8 housing is integrated into many communities that would surprise you if you knew. And again, NOT everyone who lives in Section 8 housing is a lazy leech who won't work and wants to live off of the government. While some do fit that description, some people would be happy to work but are truly disabled and do not have family to depend on. Trust me, I am no liberal, and no, I do not like supporting able bodied people who have figured out how to "beat the system", but I can see that it is not fair to paint everyone with such a broad brush in these situations.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:39 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Aww come on I.S. You know us coons and filthy nig*ers oops I mean "Detroiters" can only afford section 8 housing because were all unemployed and on welfare and of course we got to rob and kill those suburbanites when we get out there too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBn85jCRsUM
You know what "Detroiters" is code word for.
LOL....that Debo scene is classic!!! Had me rolling seeing it again....I played it a couple of times...lol. Yep....the Monster ladies Debo is De-troit. That is what she fears happening when us Africoon Americans...ergo...Detroiters....move to Novi. "WHAT YOU GOT ON MY FORTY MONSTER"...roflmao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit