Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 05:37 PM

20 posts, read 28,707 times

Advertisements

I don't agree with you at all, but that's okay. Yes, it's possible that I might think that way after I move, but I really don't see it happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 05:56 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow2015 View Post
I don't agree with you at all, but that's okay. Yes, it's possible that I might think that way after I move, but I really don't see it happening.
Well, I wish you well wherever you move to. I don't negate how difficult it can be to get through a winter like this. I struggle with it too, and always have. What's different now is that I have a different perspective on it, partly by accident (our move to AZ) and partly by choice. I try to see the glass as half full instead of half empty, hence my delight with the advent of spring. You are you and I am me, you need to do what is best for you and I need to do what is best for me. There's nothing wrong with that.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:19 PM

5,898 posts, read 6,104,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow2015 View Post
In terms of temperature, yes, you are correct. I made a mistake and was not thinking correctly. I'm sorry. I also looked at historical weather data for April from previous years, and there have been a few days that were 70+ degrees, each year.

But 52% sunshine is still not sunny to me, I'm sorry. So 48% of the time between sunrise and sunset in the month of April, the sun's rays will not reach the ground. Yes, it is 10% less than the national average for that month. If you think that's sunny, then that's fine. Also, the 2 inches of snow in April is still the average snowfall and you can't dispute that. Yes, I realize that 2 inches is not very much snow comparatively speaking.

I admit that our weather generally looks worse to me historically right now because we are in the middle of yet ANOTHER horribly cold winter. It does not feel like it will end. I'm the type of person who enjoys being outside and doing summer-related activities more than anything (baseball, biking, walking, golfing, etc.). You guys are okay with putting up with snow and subzero temperatures and I think that's great. Yeah, one of the reasons I'm moving is to get out of this weather. But I'm not naive enough to think that moving to a nice climate will be some kind of a magic pill. It will be more of a nice touch as I start a new life somewhere else. Besides, Michigan doesn't need me. I can't comprehend basic weather averages :].
I guess it's all relative. If you're expecting nice weather for the entirety of April, then ok, that's not what you're going to get. But you will get some nice weather for sure, which after months of 100% winter weather is a relief.

And yeah, if you're comparing to the rest of the US, being in the northern part of the country it will always be colder in Detroit, and for much of the year, less sunny.

200 hours of sun in April relative to what Dallas or Phoenix get is not so great, but if it makes you feel any better, it's still a lot more than in Dec/Jan and also it's more than anywhere in northern Europe.

BTW to the OP, other nice things you'll notice with the first whiffs of spring in March and April.

You'll rediscover what smelling is like when the ground starts to thaw and you get some rain. This is one of those things where you don't really notice an absence of something, and then suddenly it just hits you when you step outside and you just want to take in a really big breath.

Animals... birds, squirrels, rabbits, etc start to come back and come out of hibernation. Actually that's already starting here in Toronto with some birds singing on the sunnier days.

A pleasant breeze brushing against your face. There's no wind indoors, and outdoors in this kind of cold weather it just makes your skin freeze, but at some point in the next few weeks, it'll finally get warm enough that a light breeze actually feels pleasant.

Last edited by memph; 02-24-2015 at 10:30 PM..

Old 02-24-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Not true. My birthday and my daughter's birthdays are in April, and most years we enjoy beautiful, sunny weather with fresh, new, bright green grass and buds on the trees. The day we brought her home from the hospital (in April!) it was 68 degrees and gorgeous outside.

You are calling out this person for inaccurately describing our weather, but you are the one who is not accurate. I have lived in this area for my entire life (almost 50 years) and my experience has been much more in line with what that poster described than what you describe.

We all get that you're not happy here, but you should still try to be honest.
I went on a geology field trip to the Sudbury, ON area as a university student in the second half of April (2013). On one of the first days in mid-April, we got about 33F and pouring rain... I thought I'd be alright in a sweater and rain jacket but the rain jacket got soaked through, and then the rain turned to wet snow, and it was still going to be a couple hours until we got back to our cabins. By that time I get back I'm frozen to the bone...

A few days later it starts to feel warm, and then the sun comes out and it actually feels fairly pleasant. By the end of the day my face is sun burnt (I'd say I'm pretty average in terms of how easily that happens). I didn't bother bringing sun screen. Next day my arms are burnt too.

Last day of the trip we go the Georgian Bay and walk on the rocks of the Canadian Shield by the water. With the bright mid-day sun, even in my t-shirt I was feeling hot, so me and a few others roll up our pants, take off our shoes and start walking in the waters of the Georgian Bay. It's not that the water is warm, it's pretty cold, but that feels good, because I'm hot. I also love walking barefoot, and after not having done so for about 7 months, and was so happy to finally be able to do so that I kept my shoes off as we were walking back through the forest.

This was only about a week after that really crappy day.

Moral of the story - weather can go from crappy to really nice in little time. And keep in mind the Sudbury area is about 10F colder than Detroit so this kind of weather can happen several weeks earlier in Detroit.

I also like to go on long bike rides to explore the countryside, city or neighbouring towns. As a student in Waterloo, ON (about 5F colder than Detroit in the spring), I try to go for bike rides on the first warm days of spring. Usually that's also when I get my first sun burn.

2013 and 2014 that was in April. 2012 I remember it was on St Patrick's day in March, some other students had a huge block party dancing half naked on the rooftops, meanwhile I biked off to Guelph and got an ice cream on main street, and was still comfortable in shorts and t-shirts biking back at a casual pace around sunset. I remember it was before March 22 because I pointed out that I felt hot and wanted an ice cream and it was technically still winter. I remember lots of people were passing around footballs, soccer balls, frisbees in the streets that week. Everyone was looking for an excuse to get outside, if we had to study, it would be on the porch or lawn chair.

2010 my first bike ride and sun burn was in March I think, and 2011 it was in early April, I went to a nearby gorge (at Elora, ON) and walked across the Grand River in my (waterproof) sandals in thigh deep water and had a nice lunch on an island in the middle of the gorge.

2013 I remember my room mates were doing a lot of BBQing outside in April.

2014 was a really long winter, we had snow on the ground continuously from December to about a week into April which comfortably broke the record in Waterloo. By the time we finally got some warm weather later in April and especially in May, people were craving enjoying the outdoors so much... The park near me was full of students sun tanning, reading, playing soccer, frisbee, families having picnics and BBQs, and the town square was full of people hanging out, having ice creams, lots of people out on bar patios downtown.

So yeah I'm really looking forwards to those first tastes of spring.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:58 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
You do get more lake-effect snow in Grand Rapids; like Western NY in that regard. Keep your chin up.
Oh, I have my chin up. I've just learned in my old age not to expect spring in March. Then I'm not disappointed.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:41 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,924,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Oh, I have my chin up. I've just learned in my old age not to expect spring in March. Then I'm not disappointed.
im happy with 40s - 50's and slow thaw in march
im expecting one or 2 more significant snow falls though before its over...sigh

Old 02-25-2015, 06:47 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
No one can give you an accurate answer to your question. Why? Because there is no consistency. Frequently in February you get a three to ten day warm up and then it gets cold again. Sometimes you even get no coat days in February. Not this year. A few years ago (two i think) it warmed up in February and stayed warm. I was Kayaking in March with no coat on. I also recall getting big snowstorms in May non occasions. So your answer to when does it melt? Is whenever it wants to. Enjoy it while you can, it may be gone tomorrow (or June 3, who knows).

Like others, I convinced myself to despise living in Michigan because of the weather and moved to California. Surprisingly, perfect temperatures with no change gets kind of boring, and intense heat is worse than intense cold. However you must learn to embrace winter and love it. If you just get through it, you end up throwing away half of your life. That is no way to live. There are a lot of amazing things you can do in the winter, including outdoor things (especially when it is not windy). If you learn to drive safely and dress properly, winter does not need to slow you down. However when you do slow down, nothing is more comforting than curling up by a fire on a frosty day and reading a book while drinking warm Michigan cider

Old 02-25-2015, 09:18 PM

Are you sure those big snowstorms you remember were in May? From what I can tell, the most recent May snowstorm was in ... 1923 with 6 inches. And 1883 before that with 5 inches. Unless you count the 1.5 inches that fell in 1912. The biggest snowfall in May since 1923 seems to have been the 0.1 inches that fell in 2005.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:18 PM

20 posts, read 28,707 times
Quote:
However you must learn to embrace winter and love it. If you just get through it, you end up throwing away half of your life. That is no way to live. There are a lot of amazing things you can do in the winter, including outdoor things (especially when it is not windy)
Warning! What you're about to read below is partially subjective in nature.

There are certain things you can do outside in the winter in Michigan, as long as certain criteria are met:
1.) The temperature is reasonably habitable (20+ degrees fahrenheit), which is still cold as f*c* in my opinion. These last two years, the winter temperatures here have trended to FRIGID, which has already been brought up many times.
2.) The wind isn't knocking you down before you step outside the door.
3.) You bundle yourself up with a hat, gloves, coat, layers of clothing, etc.
4.) You actually enjoy outdoor winter activities: ice hockey, sledding, ice skating, snowboarding, skiing.

For me personally, winter sports/activities are not my thing. I don't really enjoy them. They're generally more expensive, more time-consuming, and require more effort than summer activities. Wanna throw a baseball around? Put on your shorts and t-shirt, step outside with a glove on and throw the ball. Want to take a bike ride? Step outside and hop on your bike. Basketball? Find a hoop and shoot. Taking walks become completely painless and easy. Summer sports and activities are just more low-maintenance in my opinion, and you can enjoy them in sunny, comfortable weather. Skiing and snowboarding can be very expensive. And when you're done? Cold, wet feet. No thanks.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:27 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,153,204 times
^^Ice Hockey and Ice Skating are done in indoor rinks, I never once did them outside in Michigan (except for maybe some leisurely ice skating).

Snowboarding and skiing are 3-5 hour drives out of Detroit, either up north or east (NY) or south east (Virginia/WV). The ones in northern Michigan aren't very good, except for beginners.

Anyways, winters are the most variable season in Michigan IMO. You can have a mild winter and a harsh winter. 2011-2012 was unusually mild, I have family back in Detroit so I visit and sometimes watch the forecast and compare. And yeah, even I was surprised. In March 2012, there was maybe a week to 10 days of 70+/80 degree weather.

You won't be so lucky, that was once in a 100 year winter. But this winter is unusual too, February is usually not this cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit