Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 11:46 AM

464 posts, read 451,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I'll stay away from the hood but thanks for your concern. I know how easy it is to accidentally drive into one, it happened to me in several American cities. So, I'd rather still not live anywhere near any real hoods and wouldn't advice anyone to do so either.
Yeah, I know what you mean, I almost wonder if MS313 is trolling sometimes. Detroit is certainly not a safe place and even downtown can be sketchy to someone who hasn't lived around here before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 12:37 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneCounty View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean, I almost wonder if MS313 is trolling sometimes. Detroit is certainly not a safe place and even downtown can be sketchy to someone who hasn't lived around here before.
So basically what you're saying is that you'd rather take the advice of someone who lives in a different country thousands of miles away and has little experience in the area over someone whose probably been in the area for substantially longer and knows the daily conditions and details of that area.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
So basically what you're saying is that you'd rather take the advice of someone who lives in a different country thousands of miles away and has little experience in the area over someone whose probably been in the area for substantially longer and knows the daily conditions and details of that area.

I wouldn't normally but in this case I would. Drro has spent time in both America and Europe and seems to have a more realistic view of Detroit's situation than many in the city. The sugar coating some Detroiters on here post is simple insanity and will get someone unaware of the dangers here klled some day. Don't get me wrong, downtown Detroit and Dearborn are comparatively safe, but making point blank statements like "I have yet to come across an area of Detroit that I have felt unsafe in" is so untrue and stupid it makes me want to wrap my head against a brick wall. All statements like that prove is that you haven't seen anything in Detroit except a Tigers game.

Old 03-14-2015, 01:50 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
Quote:
I wouldn't normally but in this case I would. Drro has spent time in both America and Europe and seems to have a more realistic view of Detroit's situation than many in the city. The sugar coating some Detroiters on here post is simple insanity and will get someone unaware of the dangers here klled some day. Don't get me wrong, downtown Detroit and Dearborn are comparatively safe, but making point blank statements like "I have yet to come across an area of Detroit that I have felt unsafe in" is so untrue and stupid it makes me want to wrap my head against a brick wall. All statements like that prove is that you haven't seen anything in Detroit except a Tigers game.
But then the only other way to know first experience is through the news or Youtube which is just as insane and skewed. There are people who spend time in the city outside of downtown and people who know first hand on what areas are like. If you discredit them, then you're no worse than those who look at suburbs through rose-colored glasses as the epitome of crime-free environments.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:48 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,088 times
Quote:
Quote:
Lol I almost wonder if you and "Drro" are the same people. You seem to come around just to defend him almost everytime .

But seriously though, everything I have stated was fact.
FACT: Downtown is one of the safest areas of Detroit
FACT: You are more likely to get into a car accident than end up being the victim of a crime just from commuting to/from downtown.
FACT: Showing crime stats for 135 square miles provides little information for the area the OP asked about which is only about 2 or 3 square miles. The OP obviously knows that Detroit isn't Maybury. You growing up in Detroit should know that downtown does not represent the entire city and vice versa.

The most insane thing here is your blind hatred for Detroit is so strong that you actually think that someone who has never even stepped foot in Detroit has a "realistic view" of Detroit. The only view he has is the computer and TV screen. And not only do you think he is fit to give advice but would actually take his advice over people who have actually spent alot of time downtown despite the fact that he has again, never been to Detroit.

And another thing, who in the hell are you to tell one of the earlier posters that they are lying about how they felt at a certain time? Are you a mind reader? Do you have some sort of ability that you can tell how someone was feeling at any given time in their life? What makes that posters statement stupid? because they had a different experience than you? so what. Even if that poster did only go to games downtown, guess what? that is what the OP was asking about. At least that person has more experience in the city than "Drro". Oh yea that's right... if it isn't about doom and gloom than it isn't a "realistic" view of Detroit. Despite the fact that downtown Detroit isn't any worse crime wise than downtown Chicago, or downtown Atlanta, or downtown LA. But because it happens to be in Detroit, we are not allowed to say it is pretty safe. Downtown Detroit could be guarded by guardian angels and we would still be having this argument. Everything has to be negative smh. With attitudes like this I see why Detroit has been in decline for so long. How about you and others like you appreciate what is good about Detroit and maybe, just maybe we could have a better Detroit. Wow! I see why people from out of state say what they hate most about Detroit are some people's attitudes towards the city. Pathetic and embarrassing.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
But then the only other way to know first experience is through the news or Youtube which is just as insane and skewed. There are people who spend time in the city outside of downtown and people who know first hand on what areas are like. If you discredit them, then you're no worse than those who look at suburbs through rose-colored glasses as the epitome of crime-free environments.
Yeah that's true. I'm assuming everyone here has been to Detroit but you never know what misinformation you are going to get. Downtown is safe but ignoring the rest of the city is not a good accessment.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:59 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,144,065 times
Bottom line: Downtown Detroit and Midtown Detroit are safe. Neighborhoods are a different story except for a few pockets.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:15 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
WayneCounty, DRRO and MS313, no personal attacks please. Thanks for your passion for DET but let's keep it clean. Peace and get outside and enjoy the weather.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:13 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,088 times
Quote:
Yeah that's true. I'm assuming everyone here has been to Detroit but you never know what misinformation you are going to get. Downtown is safe but ignoring the rest of the city is not a good accessment.
But the OP didn't ask about "the rest of the city", it's not ignoring, it's just giving need to know facts. The above poster said it well
Quote:
Bottom line: Downtown Detroit and Midtown Detroit are safe. Neighborhoods are a different story except for a few pockets.
If the OP only asked about downtown where his/her job will be, then how is it "ignoring" the rest of the city? the rest of the city was never even in discussion to begin with.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:28 AM

17 posts, read 21,314 times
Ok, I feel like I should post in regards to this. I haven't been here long and I have been "downtown" a few times. Downtown is a loose term and it requires one to specify the exact locations since Detroit is huge. I live in Dearborn and regularly talk with people that have lived in the Detroit area their whole lives. Like people have said, there are safe areas of downtown and they are addressing the crime issues; however, others on here are blatently lying when they say that there is nothing to worry about.

There ARE areas that are safe, clean, and very beautiful. The architecture near where they had the 2014 auto show was amazing.
There ARE areas that you need to stay away from. I don't know the exact locations, but I would never go out on a weekend driving around detroit without a guide.
There ARE areas that you would never want to wander around or step outside of your car. I have heard of horror stories of people doing exactly that and it is always by getting lost or missing a turn.

Honestly, I would need someone to give me a guided tour from someone locally that actually knows Detroit. I would highly recommend the same.

My experience: I took a trip downtown with my local church to feed the poor. I would never, ever, recommend that you do this without a group of people. We went to an area near the old train station probably not more than a mile or two from Wayne State (beautiful campus by the way). It honestly looks like a warzone. We were feeding people left and right and there were fights, agruing, and drug deals going around us. I didn't feel like we were in danger since we were in a large group, but again, I would never go there by myself if I had to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit