Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 09:13 AM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times

Advertisements

Sterling Heights OKs settlement in mosque lawsuits

The federal government knows what is good for us. If you don't want to hear "Allah hu akbar" 5 times a day and have traffic jams on your street, you must be an anti-Muslim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 01:12 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,790 times
I don't like Islam. I don't like organized religion in general and believe it to be the center of almost all human conflict, and overall a bad thing for the human race. It allows people to confuse their own morals and ethics with a set of universal morals and ethics that all people must follow. Among religions, I consider Islam to be among the worst offenders of this.

However, if the Christians can have a church at every major intersection, and the Jews can have a synagogue or two, there is absolutely zero reason the Muslims can't have their mosque. That being said, please don't try to enforce your belief-based morals on others as they are most certainly not universal. Whether I want it or not, the Department of Justice made the right call on this.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:53 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,273,537 times
I've never understood the argument of people who worry about places of worship going in next to them "due to traffic" - I can't think of a building you could construct that has less traffic impact than a church. Most have 1-4 services a week. Compare that with a Meijer, Home Depot, Tim Hortons or even a school and there's way every single day with those edifices.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:20 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
I've never understood the argument of people who worry about places of worship going in next to them "due to traffic" - I can't think of a building you could construct that has less traffic impact than a church. Most have 1-4 services a week. Compare that with a Meijer, Home Depot, Tim Hortons or even a school and there's way every single day with those edifices.
The only thing I can think of is that the traffic is highly concentrated. Everyone comes and leave at the same time, so you might get bursts of 1000 cars (for a big church) for 15 minutes or so and then again an hour later.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:36 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post

The federal government knows what is good for us. If you don't want to hear "Allah hu akbar" 5 times a day and have traffic jams on your street, you must be an anti-Muslim.
Did you read the article? The mosque has agreed not to use external sound projection.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:44 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Did you read the article? The mosque has agreed not to use external sound projection.
I don't think any mosque is allowed to use external sound projector for call to prayers in USA expect for Hamtramck which won the right to this few years ago. As far as I know, Hamtramck is the only city in USA where one can year call to prayers out loud. Others just pop their window open while using internal speakers.

Looks like the location was changed. I thought it was on 15 and Ryan when protest began last year. To my surprise most of the protest came from Catholic Middle Eastern who sited ISIS as the reason they did not want American Muslims created Mosque in their neighborhood. Glad the law worked because lot of Muslims are moving to Sterling Heights. That is the new "hot" area to settle.

Old 03-04-2017, 04:50 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:

Well, if you believe in the U.S. Constitution, they do (at least in this case).

But, I suppose it would have helped had you read the article.

Given your inclinations, you should be most concerned about the present-day Republican Party. They seem to be the closest thing to the Taliban that we'll see in the U.S.--only they want to impose their own religious beliefs on us, not those of Islam. It's rather ironic, however, that they are, perhaps unknowingly, pushing for taxpayer funding for Islamic schools in America. That's right. If they get their way with their plan to defund public schools through a voucher program for private and religious schools, that will lead to Islamic schools being in the mix.

Have a nice day.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
The change was made after public protest. Did you read the article?

Old 03-04-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Well, if you believe in the U.S. Constitution, they do (at least in this case).

But, I suppose it would have helped had you read the article.

Given your inclinations, you should be most concerned about the present-day Republican Party. They seem to be the closest thing to the Taliban that we'll see in the U.S.--only they want to impose their own religious beliefs on us, not those of Islam. It's rather ironic, however, that they are, perhaps unknowingly, pushing for taxpayer funding for Islamic schools in America. That's right. If they get their way with their plan to defund public schools through a voucher program for private and religious schools, that will lead to Islamic schools being in the mix.

Have a nice day.
I have no problem with Islamic schools. I do have a problem with Mohammed's orders to kill athiests, gays, women, etc., but if taxpaying parents want their childern taught that inside of a school that does not cause disruption to neighbors, I have no problem with that.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:59 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
Quote:
I have no problem with Islamic schools. I do have a problem with Mohammed's orders to kill athiests, gays, women, etc., but if taxpaying parents want their childern taught that inside of a school that does not cause disruption to neighbors, I have no problem with that.
Interesting. I, on the other hand, oppose taxpayer funding of private and religious schools--of whatever kind. They're part of the dumbing down of America. There are simply too many "alternative facts" being presented as gospel (literally).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit