Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 11:06 AM

130 posts, read 186,418 times

Advertisements

As much as I like to visit Detroit, this seems a bit of a stretch. What's interesting is Lonely Planet is a legitimate travel guide publisher and not just some fly-by-night website.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/best-in-travel/cities#2

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/usa/gre...2-1479d27680c5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 11:38 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Given what they said about Qline - it appears they have not been here. But still we will take what we can get.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:12 PM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
About as credible as those sources that said Detroit was the “worst” place just a few uears ago. But everything is hyped these days so...

Old 10-24-2017, 12:44 PM

461 posts, read 546,611 times
The whole list is a joke. Canberra? Kaohsiung? Hamburg? Too Orwellian for me.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:58 PM

290 posts, read 313,173 times
Obviously the author Trisha Ping is a young hipster and wrote from her perspective (youth) Something you guys haven't seen in at least 20? 30? years. She visited places and participated at places most old folks will never go. Repeat after me the Loney Planet magazine market is for young people full of adventure.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:45 PM

152 posts, read 166,027 times
Detroit has a long way to go no doubt, but her positive view on the city and area is appreciated. Detroit still is unique, its still has authentic history to it. Detroit metro( even though not the real city limits) is very diverse, its a big diverse metro while not being too gigantic hectic big like LA, NYC, or Chicago etc. For what it is, its still good. no matter how many struggles comes its way.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:47 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,088 times
At first I thought it was more click bait stuff going for shock value. But upon further research Lonely Planet is actually the holy grail of travel guides. Lonely Planet from what I understand is for people who are seasoned travelers. Detroit is the most underrated city/ region in America no doubt, but due to the sprawled out nature of the region even I always thought that Detroit wasn't a top tourist spot unless you have a car and know where to go around the region. I put Detroit more so in a tourist destination category as Atlanta, LA, or Houston where the interesting places to see/do are all spread out. But this is good news. I wonder if Detroit tourism numbers have gone up from 16 million a few years ago.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:31 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Detroit's coolness is far more concentrated than LA and I am pretty sure Atlanta or Houston, although I have spent very little time in either city.

The City of Detroit itself has basically a single center of interest to tourists. It is called Woodward avenue and the immediate area. That covers most of the amazing architecture and cool things to see and do. You might add river-walk, and Eastern Market, but you could spend a few days just exploring on and around Woodward avenue and you really would not have missed enough to be concerned about.

Like LA there are some major attractions outside the City, but unlike LA there is enough awesomeness to see and do concentrated in a small area right downtown/mid-town, to keep most tourists happy. My limited experience with Houston and Atlanta were simlar to what LA is like. No real center, some spread out neat areas scattered about the City (or outside it), but no single awesome destination within the city. (L.A. now has LA live which could keep a tourist busy for a night, but then they would need to venture to Korea town, the Garment/Jewelry District or outside the City to see/do much more.

Detroit has changed in a major way in the last three years. It used to be there was neat stuff around, but you really needed to know where you were going to go, or you could wander around endlessly looking at emptiness and never find things. Now, you can just wander the Woodward corridor with no real plan, and stumble into loads of cool awesomeness. You can visit without a car, and stay busy and entertained the whole time and come away having had an amazing experience. Roughly three years ago (could be 5) that was not really an option.

Unlike many cities, the main corridor of Detroit is not an office ghetto that completely empties out at 5:30 p.m.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:04 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,924,785 times
so we have less than 3 months to make a miracle happen??
lmao

Old 10-26-2017, 01:33 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Hey....the only way to balance out the ill effects and self fulfilling prophecy of past hyperbole....which was always on the negative side, Detroit can use some positive hyperbole and hopefully that will become a self fulfilling prophecy like the negativity did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit