Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 01:09 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times

Advertisements

Looking at a possible move to the greater Detroit area. Never been to Michigan. Would be renting for a year or two, with plans on eventually buying a fixer upper.

I'm not exactly white trash but I don't mind living next door to an '85 Camaro sitting on blocks in the front yard.

(Diversity is groovy and I don't mean for this to sound like I'm looking for an 'all white neighborhood' or any nonsense like that. I get along with everybody and mind my own business. I'm just looking for an area where a white guy wearing dirty jeans wouldn't stand out. )

Looking for cheap neighborhoods really.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 01:41 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
I have no suggestions but I will watch with curiosity.
I'm sure you are aware those types of neighborhoods generally come with some level of increased crime.

Actually I can suggest parts of eastern Washtenaw county, east of Ypsilanti.

Old 08-18-2018, 02:56 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
Taylor, St. Clair Shores, Roseville, Waterford, Romulus, Garden City...

I feel like those are all pretty decent areas where you can sit on the porch, drink a Miller Light, wear jean shorts and a Skynyrd shirt, work on your Harley in the morning... things like that... without getting judged much, but still feel safe going for a walk at night and storing a nice truck outside. Certainly there are more as Metro Detroit has a lot of blue-collar roots, for obvious reasons, but if I were looking to get my suppressed inner-redneck on, I think it'd make sense to hang out in those areas. If you don't mind a bit of exurbia you could look at communities like Armada, Romeo, Clarkston, Manchester, Flat Rock...

Old 08-18-2018, 03:59 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post

I'm not exactly white trash but I don't mind living next door to an '85 Camaro sitting on blocks in the front yard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STyp...3Nqa3Kts9HL1n7

Old 08-18-2018, 08:59 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Taylor, St. Clair Shores, Roseville, Waterford, Romulus, Garden City...

I feel like those are all pretty decent areas where you can sit on the porch, drink a Miller Light, wear jean shorts and a Skynyrd shirt, work on your Harley in the morning... things like that... without getting judged much, but still feel safe going for a walk at night and storing a nice truck outside. Certainly there are more as Metro Detroit has a lot of blue-collar roots, for obvious reasons, but if I were looking to get my suppressed inner-redneck on, I think it'd make sense to hang out in those areas. If you don't mind a bit of exurbia you could look at communities like Armada, Romeo, Clarkston, Manchester, Flat Rock...
Those are pretty good suggestions, I would also add Hazel Park and Madison Heights and Keego Harbor, maybe Allen Park

Old 08-18-2018, 10:18 PM

Appropriate everybody. Now I got some digging to do. I'll be able to visit a couple times before I have to decide.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:01 AM

544 posts, read 899,879 times
Quote:
Looking at a possible move to the greater Detroit area. Never been to Michigan. Would be renting for a year or two, with plans on eventually buying a fixer upper.

(Diversity is groovy and I don't mean for this to sound like I'm looking for an 'all white neighborhood' or any nonsense like that. I get along with everybody and mind my own business. I'm just looking for an area where a white guy wearing dirty jeans wouldn't stand out. )

Looking for cheap neighborhoods really.

Thanks!
In this area, chances are that '85 Camaro is suped up and in mint condition.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Appropriate everybody. Now I got some digging to do. I'll be able to visit a couple times before I have to decide.

Meant to say appreciate it... Plus rep for everybody.

Edit.. Won't let me rep one of ya. Have to spread it around first.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:25 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
Hazel Park and Madison Heights are good suggestions today, but I wonder if long-term (5-10 years down the road) Hazel Park will be more of a Ferndale-east and Madison Heights will be a bit of a Royal Oak-east. They both already have neighborhoods that are that way. Anything west of I-75 in these communities is already virtually indistinguishable from Royal Oak/Ferndale and Hazel Park has been quite the hot spot for quirky eateries and 20-something graduates wanting to be near them. while I know a number of people fitting my demographic (educated, liberalish, younger parent) moving to Madison Heights.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:09 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Taylor, Ecorse, River Rouge, Redford Township.

Ecorse and River Rouge are more mixed than white, in fact they appear to be almost evenly mixed at least when I drive through or go there to eat or drink or shop.

Slightly more upscale are Westland, Garden Grove, Wayne, Melvindale, Allen Park, Lincoln Park, Parts of Wyandotte (Wyandotte is a pretty neat City in general, but it has a few less nice areas).

Westland is mostly middle middle apartments and some nicer homes, there are areas though that might fit you description.

Most of these towns have nicer areas and less nice areas.

There are trailer parks in most cities. A huge one in New Hudson is less than a mile form the Kensington Metropark. I can think of some in Tyalor, Trenton, South Lyon, near Rochester, Livonia, Westland, West Bloomfield (or maybe it is on the Farmington Hills side. Realistically, they are pretty much everywhere. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit