Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 11:56 AM

45 posts, read 160,479 times

Advertisements

Ahhhhhhh, the kind of discussion I have been seeking. Thank you. Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 01:49 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
This is true, Grosse Pointe is for sure at risk if GM would go under, as you said there are many GM execs and white collar workers that live there who commute to the Ren Cen everyday. As you also said, Dearborn, because many Ford execs live and work in Dearborn. Auburn Hills, as you said, is dependent on Chrysler but really only the Tax Revenue generated by Chrysler. The white collar execs don't live in Auburn Hills, many of them live in the Birmingham/Bloomfield area, I can't speak for them all though.
From what I understand, many of the Chrysler execs, especially lower on the rung, don't even live in Bloomingham. They live in Orion, Troy, etc. So yes, the entire county would suffer, but it's not like Flint going under. It's much more diffuse.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:20 PM

866 posts, read 4,257,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
From what I understand, many of the Chrysler execs, especially lower on the rung, don't even live in Bloomingham. They live in Orion, Troy, etc. So yes, the entire county would suffer, but it's not like Flint going under. It's much more diffuse.
I know that many of the newer Chrysler execs (10 years or so) live more in northern Oakland County such as the places you mentioned like Troy and Lake Orion. I know that there are alot of people who work at Chrysler Auburn Hills in Waterford.

When Chrysler was headquartered in Highland Park up until 1993, many of the execs lived in Bloomfield Hills and Bloomfield Twp, but it appears that since they moved to Auburn Hills, more and more of the new white collars have moved farther away from Detroit into the northern Oakland County suburbs.

I still know a few older white collars at Chrysler that commute from the Bloomfield's to Auburn Hills everyday.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:28 PM

866 posts, read 4,257,980 times
Quote:
I know that many of the newer Chrysler execs (10 years or so) live more in northern Oakland County such as the places you mentioned like Troy and Lake Orion. I know that there are alot of people who work at Chrysler Auburn Hills in Waterford.

When Chrysler was headquartered in Highland Park up until 1993, many of the execs lived in Bloomfield Hills and Bloomfield Twp, but it appears that since they moved to Auburn Hills, more and more of the new white collars have moved farther away from Detroit into the northern Oakland County suburbs.

I still know a few older white collars at Chrysler that commute from the Bloomfield's to Auburn Hills everyday.
With that said though, everytime I am in Bloomfield Hills or Birmingham I think I see more Mercedes-Benz and BMW's than I do any Chrysler's or any other big 3 cars.

Bloomfield/Birmingham and Ann Arbor are probably the two areas in Michigan that the majority of the population don't buy big 3 vehicles.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:31 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,531 times
Quote:
With that said though, everytime I am in Bloomfield Hills or Birmingham I think I see more Mercedes-Benz and BMW's than I do any Chrysler's or any other big 3 cars.

Bloomfield/Birmingham and Ann Arbor are probably the two areas in Michigan that the majority of the population don't buy big 3 vehicles.

I like that diversification. It would get old seeing Ford, Ford, Ford, Ford every time a car passes by you.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:04 PM

13 posts, read 52,863 times
Hemmie,

I've posted on your other thread as well about what Detroit suburb is in the best shape. I urge you to look at the census data. GP has a much higher concentration of academics and legal and medical professionals than the other suburbs. Most major law firms and medical centers are downtown. Obviously, Wayne State and Tech Town are in the city as well. Many people who work there live in GP. Also, there are three major hospitals in and around GP, and most of those employees also live there. On a person note, I live in GP and know of only one person who works in auto. All of my friends are lawyers, doctors, scientists at Wayne/Tech town, or in advertising (which is suffering very badly). See this week's Grosse Pointe News (www.grossepointenews.com). It mentions the large number of Wayne profs in GP as well.

Auto related industry has largely moved north and west over the past 10-15 years. See Northern Oakland Co. (i.e., Delphi, Chrysler, Borg-Warner, etc.) or the Western Suburbs (see Johnson Controls, Visteon, etc.) The western suburbs are more connected to UM and high tech, so I see them as being stronger to weather the storm. They just seem to lack character in my opinion, and I find the people there are wildly afraid of the city. This is very unappealing. My husband and I moved here from SF, and are urban people at heart. GM execs traditionally lived in the B'ham and Bloomfield (not GP), though that has changed somewhat since it moved its headquarters downtown a few years ago. Ford execs traditionally lived in GP or Ann Arbor, though I don't think that's true anymore.

Also, please see my post about how you are probably getting incorrect housing data. Many websites list Detroit homes as being in GP because of proximitely and shared zip codes. That obviously has a negative effect on the average home price. Similarly, don't just focus on B'ham's listing prices, but also look at their selling prices. They have a HUGE inventory right now. GP has adjusted to the downturn more quickly, but actually has a relatively low inventory, given the rotten state of the economy in SE Michigan. Prices are lower, but houses are selling.

Last edited by Wendy from GP; 01-29-2009 at 03:37 PM..

Old 06-24-2010, 03:43 PM

333 posts, read 1,154,494 times
Center Line. Need I say more?

Old 06-25-2010, 02:57 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,906,480 times
Naaah, CL isn't thaaat bad. Walk south a few blocks, if you dare, into south Warren. Much of Center Line is okay.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:21 AM

970 posts, read 2,968,694 times
Mount Clemens. Relatively high crime, urban blight, and they even have a 9 or 10-story office building that is completely abandoned and boarded up

Old 06-27-2010, 07:45 PM

449 posts, read 934,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy from GP View Post
Hemmie,

I've posted on your other thread as well about what Detroit suburb is in the best shape. I urge you to look at the census data. GP has a much higher concentration of academics and legal and medical professionals than the other suburbs. Most major law firms and medical centers are downtown. Obviously, Wayne State and Tech Town are in the city as well. Many people who work there live in GP. Also, there are three major hospitals in and around GP, and most of those employees also live there. On a person note, I live in GP and know of only one person who works in auto. All of my friends are lawyers, doctors, scientists at Wayne/Tech town, or in advertising (which is suffering very badly). See this week's Grosse Pointe News (www.grossepointenews.com). It mentions the large number of Wayne profs in GP as well.

Auto related industry has largely moved north and west over the past 10-15 years. See Northern Oakland Co. (i.e., Delphi, Chrysler, Borg-Warner, etc.) or the Western Suburbs (see Johnson Controls, Visteon, etc.) The western suburbs are more connected to UM and high tech, so I see them as being stronger to weather the storm. They just seem to lack character in my opinion, and I find the people there are wildly afraid of the city. This is very unappealing. My husband and I moved here from SF, and are urban people at heart. GM execs traditionally lived in the B'ham and Bloomfield (not GP), though that has changed somewhat since it moved its headquarters downtown a few years ago. Ford execs traditionally lived in GP or Ann Arbor, though I don't think that's true anymore.

Also, please see my post about how you are probably getting incorrect housing data. Many websites list Detroit homes as being in GP because of proximitely and shared zip codes. That obviously has a negative effect on the average home price. Similarly, don't just focus on B'ham's listing prices, but also look at their selling prices. They have a HUGE inventory right now. GP has adjusted to the downturn more quickly, but actually has a relatively low inventory, given the rotten state of the economy in SE Michigan. Prices are lower, but houses are selling.
I've been hearing from some people that live there that GP has been experiencing a big upsurge in crime coming from Detroit. Have you noticed this to be true? I hate to think of such a beautiful place going down hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit