Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 06:46 AM

266 posts, read 852,827 times

Advertisements

I don't have kids so I'm kinda clueless on this issue...looking to some locals with kids who can help direct me!

Early next month I have a group of friends coming to visit me in Ferndale, and they all seem to have at least one kid around 4-5 years old (don't worry, it's a small group). I am moving to Ferndale later this week so I won't have much time to drive around and see which parks look like the most fun! I get the feeling there are more park options in Royal Oak, so I'm assuming that's where we'll go. Assuming, of course, they don't all want to go to the zoo (which they might).

Thanks in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 11:55 AM

339 posts, read 975,518 times
During the summer we love to go to Stoney Creek (between Rochester and Shelby Twp) and to Metro Beach (Harrison Twp). There is the beach, mini golf and lots of playgrounds.

These are not in RO or Ferndale but they are my favorites

Old 07-20-2009, 12:16 PM

Yeah, I know those are good ones....far better than we'll find locally. But, my friends are driving in from some distances (Traverse City, Caseville, and Canton) so I hate to put them back in the car for another 30-45 minutes.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:39 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Zoo - Royal Oak

Belle Isle? (not much there anymore)

Science center in Detroit.

How far away is cranbrook?

45 minutes?

If you are going to drive that far, you may as well go to Kensington.

Old 07-20-2009, 05:12 PM

902 posts, read 1,925,668 times
The Detroit Zoo (Royal Oak) I've read is having a record year for attendance .

Not sure where your moving in Ferndale , but I grew up there .

There's a nice park (Wilson) between 9 Mile Rd. & 8 Mile Rd. off of Hilton Rd.

Hilton Rd. turns into Campbell Rd . at 696/10 Mile which is Royal Oak . It's been awhile for me but there may be a park at Lincoln St . and Campbell Rd. (YMCA)

Old 07-20-2009, 05:41 PM

428 posts, read 800,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanniepep View Post
I don't have kids so I'm kinda clueless on this issue...looking to some locals with kids who can help direct me!

Early next month I have a group of friends coming to visit me in Ferndale, and they all seem to have at least one kid around 4-5 years old (don't worry, it's a small group). I am moving to Ferndale later this week so I won't have much time to drive around and see which parks look like the most fun! I get the feeling there are more park options in Royal Oak, so I'm assuming that's where we'll go. Assuming, of course, they don't all want to go to the zoo (which they might).

Thanks in advance for the help!
Our fave was the park just north of 12 Mile between Main and Rochester Rd. We called it Central Park...don't know what the real name is. Beautiful, huge, tons of trees. You'll see lots of teenagers throwing frisbees but we never had any problems there. The playground sets are a bit older but still a great park.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:10 PM

Thank you!! 12 Mile btw Main & Rochester would be a good spot. So far only one of the groups has responded, and they think the zoo sounds fun - I'm just afraid it might be cost-prohibitive for some of them. Hopefully not cuz that would be so easy! It's only 2 miles from my house and reasonably entertaining, the kids will get all worn out so the adults can enjoy a few beers and relax when we get home.

I've been looking at a Royal Oak parks website but after a while they all start to look the same.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:43 AM

189 posts, read 522,219 times
The zoo is definitely a great idea for kids around those ages. My son is only two, but we went three times this summer already. Great place, and honestly not that bad price-wise.

So you don't want to drive too far, and you don't want to spend too much money...

If you're willing to drive 15 minutes and spend $8-10/person, the city of Troy has a GREAT waterpark that's open to non-residents. Slides, volleyball, sand, kiddie pool, etc. It's a pretty small place, and can get busy (especially on the weekends), but it's well worth the price of admission if you're looking to get the swimsuits on. There's really nothing to compare it to in the area. It's a great combination of "community pool" and "waterpark", just the right size, lots of lifeguards, and not too expensive.

It's right off of 75 at the Big Beaver exit, behind the Troy Public Library. Probably a 10-15 minute drive from anywhere in Ferndale or Royal Oak.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:21 AM

Hey, that waterpark sounds great!! I never knew about that! I grew up in Troy but moved away about 20 yrs ago, they must have built it after I left. I will find out more and see if my friends might wanna do that! I know I want to, it sounds really cool! They'll be visiting on a Thursday so hopefully it won't even be that crowded.

I actually don't know if the money thing will be an issue, my friends might not even care but since they're all bringing an entourage of 2 kids & a hubby, I thought maybe I should keep that in mind. I'm buying a "me plus 1 guest" membership to the zoo, so I can squeeze somebody in that way. Haha, all this research and the kids will probably just want to stay at my house and play with the Wii. You never know! Well, I never know cuz I don't have kids....the very idea of a houseful of 4-yr-olds scares the crap out of me, quite frankly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit