Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 01:31 PM

3 posts, read 5,627 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I applied to UDM Law, and in the event that I get accepted, I would like to have some sort of game plan in place for when I move. I currently live in Ga, and everyone warns me about moving to Detroit, but if I get accepted, well, then I'll be moving to Detroit. I will be by myself for the first year, so a one bedroom apartment is ok, however, I prefer a duplex or small house so I can have a yard for my dogs. But if an apartment is all I can get in a safe area that is under $800, then so be it. I have no idea if the houses and apartments I have seen online are in a safe area or not or if the towns I see are more than 30 minutes away. What are some close (30 miles or less), cheap (under $800) and safe (lower than normal crime rate for Detroit) areas close to UDM Law (downtown Detroit on Jefferson)? I am not looking for crime free, that would be ridiculous, but I don't want to get car jacked or mugged or raped while walking to class or the grocery store either. And I know anything can happen anywhere, but you know what I am talking about. Thanks in advance for the replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 03:36 PM

866 posts, read 4,260,979 times
Getting into Downtown Detroit from Ferndale, Royal Oak, or any of the suburbs around that area is not hard at all. You are going to have the best amenities in that area along Woodward Ave. The only place in Detroit proper that I would actually suggest is downtown itself, if you wouldn't mind it. You must be warned though that downtown is deprived of grocery stores and shopping, so you would have to make a trip up to the suburbs anyway to do grocery shopping and shopping in general.

The only other suggestion that I'll include is Dearborn to the south west of downtown. It really depends whether you would like to live in the northern or western suburbs. The northern ones, for the most part, have more to offer especially for someone in school.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:38 PM

866 posts, read 4,260,979 times
Tell us the areas that you have been looking at, and we can give advice off of that.

$800 doesn't get you to much, but bargains can be found.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:38 PM

16 posts, read 28,510 times
Default Bs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
Getting into Downtown Detroit from Ferndale, Royal Oak, or any of the suburbs around that area is not hard at all. You are going to have the best amenities in that area along Woodward Ave. The only place in Detroit proper that I would actually suggest is downtown itself, if you wouldn't mind it. You must be warned though that downtown is deprived of grocery stores and shopping, so you would have to make a trip up to the suburbs anyway to do grocery shopping and shopping in general.

The only other suggestion that I'll include is Dearborn to the south west of downtown. It really depends whether you would like to live in the northern or western suburbs. The northern ones, for the most part, have more to offer especially for someone in school.

That's BS, there are plenty of places to shop in Detroit. Just outside of downtown there is a Farmer Jack for Groceries, and plenty of other places to shop for clothes, pharmacies, and lots of great restaurants in downtown itself. That is the problem with Detroit, and why no one wants to live there, because whenever someone inquires about Detroit from another city about moving there, they get answers from people who live in the suburbs completely trashing the city (not saying that you are trashing the city Dexterguy, I've seen much worse). I lived in the city of Detroit for quite some time, and found that I never needed to go to the suburbs for anything (thank god for that), and I loved living there every day that I did. The people are very friendly (much nicer than the stuffy burb people, especially in the burbs to the north), and you can find great deals there (I rented a large loft in the Cass Corridor for $650 per month, 2200 sq ft), and I would definitely say that if you are looking for something affordable, look in the city of Detroit, as that is very affordable, and MUCH more diverse and cultured than the suburbs. I live in the CITY of Chicago now, and the suburbs here (though I rarely go there) are just like the suburbs of Detroit and any other city in the U.S. If you want the same thing, strip malls, crap corporate restaurant chains, cookie cutter houses on cul-de-sacs, then please, be my guest and move to the burbs, but if you want a nice, affordable apartment or house in a neighborhood unique to Detroit, and only Detroit, then I would suggest to move to the city. There are many nice neighborhoods in the city, not just downtown. Try Brush Park, which is just up Woodward from downtown, or Indian Village, which is just up Jefferson, or look in the Palmer Park or Palmer Woods area, or Edison Park. They all are very nice, relatively safe neighborhoods with character and culture, and are absolutely beautiful, with large old houses and tree lined streets. But hey, it's just my opinion, and I am a city boy to the max!!

Old 10-29-2009, 11:54 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,836,150 times
You can get a 1 bedroom for 800 or less in Ferndale,Royal Oak,Troy,Farmington Hills which is safe but may be farther then you want. You may even be able to find a home rental but that would be harder and then you would have to do the yard and snow in the winter and that will add to the expense. I am really bad with directions though I lived in MI most of my life. For safety but also a way to meet people Royal Oak may be nice. I am not sure how long it would take from Farmington Hills but then you are close to M5 and expressways. Novi where the mall,restaurants,etc. There are many apt places on Haggerty and 13 around in that price range. Good luck

Old 10-29-2009, 03:42 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,913,617 times
At your age, Roayal oak is prpobably going to be the most fun outside of Downtown Detroit. You may enjoy living downton as well. For bargains in not too bad areas look at Allen Park, parts of Lincoln Park and Wyandotte. Ferndale is pretty neat too and not very expesive. If homosexuals bother you, the do not go there. That is one of the few places that they are welcomed so they tend to congregate there. Some people like Hamtrammak a lot. It is pretty borderline rough, but a kind of neat place.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:17 AM

205 posts, read 654,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronica View Post
That's BS, there are plenty of places to shop in Detroit. Just outside of downtown there is a Farmer Jack for Groceries

Actually, Farmer Jack went under a few years back. Detroit does lack in shopping - no one can seriously deny that.

To the OP, I would not recommend living alone in Detroit unless maybe you could find a nice loft right downtown. I would definitely look at Royal Oak, Ferndale, or Grosse Pointe Park. Keep in mind, unless you found a loft downtown, you will not be walking to class and probably not even if you do. Likely you won't be walking anywhere if you live within city limits as everything is spread out with ruins in between. Like it was mentioned before, likely you would be going to the suburbs (which are not full of "stuffy burb people") to do your shopping. Your best bet would be finding a nice safe place in that first ring of suburbs. You will be a short drive away from UDM but close to shopping and everywhere else you will probably be wanting to go. You really need to go up to MI to get a feel for the different areas. Best of luck.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:08 PM

937 posts, read 2,836,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronica View Post
That's BS, there are plenty of places to shop in Detroit. Just outside of downtown there is a Farmer Jack for Groceries, and plenty of other places to shop for clothes, pharmacies, and lots of great restaurants in downtown itself. That is the problem with Detroit, and why no one wants to live there, because whenever someone inquires about Detroit from another city about moving there, they get answers from people who live in the suburbs completely trashing the city (not saying that you are trashing the city Dexterguy, I've seen much worse). I lived in the city of Detroit for quite some time, and found that I never needed to go to the suburbs for anything (thank god for that), and I loved living there every day that I did. The people are very friendly (much nicer than the stuffy burb people, especially in the burbs to the north), and you can find great deals there (I rented a large loft in the Cass Corridor for $650 per month, 2200 sq ft), and I would definitely say that if you are looking for something affordable, look in the city of Detroit, as that is very affordable, and MUCH more diverse and cultured than the suburbs. I live in the CITY of Chicago now, and the suburbs here (though I rarely go there) are just like the suburbs of Detroit and any other city in the U.S. If you want the same thing, strip malls, crap corporate restaurant chains, cookie cutter houses on cul-de-sacs, then please, be my guest and move to the burbs, but if you want a nice, affordable apartment or house in a neighborhood unique to Detroit, and only Detroit, then I would suggest to move to the city. There are many nice neighborhoods in the city, not just downtown. Try Brush Park, which is just up Woodward from downtown, or Indian Village, which is just up Jefferson, or look in the Palmer Park or Palmer Woods area, or Edison Park. They all are very nice, relatively safe neighborhoods with character and culture, and are absolutely beautiful, with large old houses and tree lined streets. But hey, it's just my opinion, and I am a city boy to the max!!
They trash talk it for a reason. Maybe because its a "cultured" craphole.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:31 AM

Smile Thanks everyone!

I am new to this blogging thing and forgot I posted a question until the site sent me an email telling me there were replies. I appreciate all the responses and no, homosexuals do not make me uncomfortable! A very good friend of mine is gay and I enjoy the talks we have about our boyfriends!
Part of the reason why this slipped my mind is because I received an acceptance letter from a Florida law school and I have been researching Orlando. I am still awaiting a response from Detroit, but this is all preliminary research and I have no idea where to even consider living in Detroit, so I really appreciate all the responses!

Old 11-11-2009, 10:06 AM

Smile Places I found, not sure about them...

Dexterguy, here are some of the two-three bedroom small homes I found for $800 or less. There were more that I found a few weeks ago, but I was on a different site today. And since I took so long to respond, you probably won't even see this post

Sterling Heights 18 mile
Madison Heights (north of 11 mile and East of John R at Townley)
South of 8 mile and west of Van Dyke
Hartwell St
Roxbury St
Minock St
Kentucky St
Eureka St
Hazel Park, MI
Eastpointe, MI
Warren, MI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit