Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 06:23 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
... That last line cannot possibly be in reference to anything that I wrote, ...
Luv, you didn't even take the time to read what I posted before jumping to conclusions. That says all that I need to say. If you don't like the advice, then don't follow it. It can't be more simple than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 09:52 PM

292 posts, read 671,887 times
LAMF- It sounds like you came up with a diet very similar to the primal diet! There is a whole online community to support that kind of eating. My s/o is on there all the time for inspiration on recipes and such. It might interest you. Mark's Daily Apple

Old 08-17-2010, 09:57 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
I was diagnosed with type II in November of last year (fasting blood glucose >300 and A1C of 12). I was kind of shocked, as while I was overweight, I thought I was eating a "healthy," Mediterranean diet. It turns out I had no idea what healthy really means, as like the vast majority of folks, I just followed the advice of experts (doctors, gov't, all the stupid alphabet societies).

Being an engineer, I took to this like I would take to any other problem. I knew that I had absolutely no desire to pump myself with medications and insulin for the rest of what would be a short, miserable life. So I researched, researched, researched and devised a solution for myself. Within two weeks I had normal blood glucose levels. Within three months my A1C was completely normal. Since I have no plan to go back to eating the way I did before, I consider myself completely cured. *

The solution was simple. There are certain foods that most of our bodies are not adapted to eating that have only been included in our diets for an evolutionary brief period of time (around 10k years). Our bodies have various negative reactions to these foods, including releasing too much insulin in response to the excess glucose present in our blood. Insulin is an amazing hormone that has many jobs, most prevalently the following: it brings glucose to muscles for energy and it stores fat. When you have too much of it, the muscles become resistant and glucose builds up in your blood.

By eliminating these problem foods, we can "reset" our metabolisms to work correctly. The biggest culprits are refined sugars, grains, legumes and grain and seed derived oils. In addition, there are three macronutrients our bodies can burn for energy (not counting alcohol) - fat, carbohydrates and protein. Carbohydrates are converted directly to glucose, so it is a no brainer that if you have a problem with blood glucose, drastically reduce the carbs. Protein is a building block, but can also be converted to glucose in the liver. Fat does not convert to glucose.

So my goal was to reduce my insulin levels drastically and maintain normal blood sugar. To do this, I started eating a diet that is completely free of all the foods mentioned above, and consists of 70 - 80% fat from animal sources, 10 - 15% protein and about 5% carbs. In addition to the elimination of diabetes, I have also dropped about 40 lbs.

Of course since this goes against our current norms of what is considered healthy, there will be responses to this saying that I am going to get heart disease or all sorts of other ailments. Save it, I have done the research and will put my numbers up against yours any day. The saddest part is that the epidemic of diseases of civilization will never subside until the current norms of what is considered healthy changes. We can just add that to the ever increasing list of necessary revolutions.

* For those who say there is no cure for type II diabetes, I would liken it to a condition caused by eating poison. Just as someone who has recovered from the condition caused by eating rat poison is cured so long as they don't eat more rat poison, I consider myself cured so long as I maintain my current dietary regimen.
Very interesting LAMF - can you post for us what a typical day looks like for you? What DO you actually eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

Old 08-17-2010, 10:11 PM

550 posts, read 1,355,721 times
I'm glad I came across this. I had my wake up call yesterday when I felt numbness in my toe after work.

I felt some numbness the past couple of weeks but it did not go away yesterday. I looked up online what it could be and sure enough it was one of the signs of diabetes. Diabetes does run in my family. I did not get checked up yet but will soon.

I felt like it was finally time I stopped making excuses and did something about my health. I'm overweight for my height but always felt I was healthy. I know now that I am not. I will cut out junk food from my diet and begin exercising again. It is crazy what letting yourself go for 3 years can do.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:16 AM

330 posts, read 1,036,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Very interesting LAMF - can you post for us what a typical day looks like for you? What DO you actually eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner?
Sure.

Since my diet is so high in fat, I don't eat three meals a day. Fat is satiating and takes a while to digest, whereas carbs leave you hungry and craving more carbs very quickly. Typically I wind up eating once or twice a day. This has the added benefits of maintaining stable blood sugar and minimizing insulin in my system. I'll just post what I ate yesterday:

1st meal: liver and onions cooked with LOTS of butter
2nd meal: braised short ribs, sauteed mushrooms, collard greens, .5 cup full fat Fage yogurt.

I also had coffee in the morning with 1/4 cup heavy cream and some mint tea at night with 1/4 cup heavy cream. The collards were cooked with fat back and I did not trim any fat off of the short ribs. The liver was soaked in heavy cream for a couple of hours before I cooked it.

That was a big eating day for me, so today I will probably only have a mid-afternoon meal of a roasted rack of lamb with lots of tzatziki sauce.

To the poster who mentioned the primal diet: Mark Sisson is one of my primary sources of inspiration, as is Dr. Harris at PaNU.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:34 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Sure.

Since my diet is so high in fat, I don't eat three meals a day. Fat is satiating and takes a while to digest, whereas carbs leave you hungry and craving more carbs very quickly. Typically I wind up eating once or twice a day. This has the added benefits of maintaining stable blood sugar and minimizing insulin in my system. I'll just post what I ate yesterday:

1st meal: liver and onions cooked with LOTS of butter
2nd meal: braised short ribs, sauteed mushrooms, collard greens, .5 cup full fat Fage yogurt.

I also had coffee in the morning with 1/4 cup heavy cream and some mint tea at night with 1/4 cup heavy cream. The collards were cooked with fat back and I did not trim any fat off of the short ribs. The liver was soaked in heavy cream for a couple of hours before I cooked it.

That was a big eating day for me, so today I will probably only have a mid-afternoon meal of a roasted rack of lamb with lots of tzatziki sauce.

To the poster who mentioned the primal diet: Mark Sisson is one of my primary sources of inspiration, as is Dr. Harris at PaNU.
Are you at all concerned about the effect of all that protein on your kidneys? And what about the higher cholestoral levels and the effects on your heart?

I know people who have lost a lot of weight with the kind of diet you are eating, but personally, I just don't like meat enough to be able to do that.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:16 AM

81 posts, read 238,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tban View Post
I'm glad I came across this. I had my wake up call yesterday when I felt numbness in my toe after work.

I felt some numbness the past couple of weeks but it did not go away yesterday. I looked up online what it could be and sure enough it was one of the signs of diabetes. Diabetes does run in my family. I did not get checked up yet but will soon.

I felt like it was finally time I stopped making excuses and did something about my health. I'm overweight for my height but always felt I was healthy. I know now that I am not. I will cut out junk food from my diet and begin exercising again. It is crazy what letting yourself go for 3 years can do.
Tban, if you are feeling numbness in your toes that is not going away, do not wait to be seen. Call your PCP and let them know your symptoms. With that family history, I am sure they will make room for you in their schedule.

I see a lot of diabetics in my eye care practice. The level of responsibility for their personal care varies greatly. Some patients come in and have no idea when their last appointment with their PCP/Endocrinologist was or what their blood sugar/A1c levels are.

Blood sugars should be checked daily and A1c levels, in general, give an idea of what the blood sugar runs on a 3 month average.

Other patients come in and, like some posters on here, have taken charge of their lives in a commanding manner so that they do not have to be on medicines the rest of their lives and have to suffer many complications with their bodies, including blindness.

Here is some information regarding diabetes and eye disease:

DIABETES IS THE LEADING CAUSE OF BLINDNESS AMONG MOST ADULTS

The American Optometric Association reminds patients about the importance of comprehensive eye exams during November’s National Diabetes Month

A recent survey by the American Optometric Association (AOA), the American Eye-Q™, revealed that while more than 60 percent of adults know that diabetes is detectable through a comprehensive eye exam, only 38 percent of adults who do not wear glasses or contacts have been to an eye doctor in the last two years.

Almost 21 million people in the United States have diabetes and over six million of those are undiagnosed. Additionally, an estimated 54 million Americans aged 40 to 74 have pre-diabetes, a condition that puts them at high risk for developing type 2 diabetes. Diabetes is the number one cause of acquired blindness.

Individuals who are at high risk for diabetes need to have regular, dilated eye exams and all individuals with known diabetes need to have dilated eye exams each year, according to Robert Layman, O.D. and Chair of the AOA’s Diabetes Eye Care Project Team. “Individuals should consider an eye exam the first line of detection for this serious disease and its complications,” said Dr. Layman. “Fortunately, in nearly all cases, diabetic retinopathy, a potentially blinding complication of diabetes and sometimes the very first sign of diabetes, can be diagnosed during a dilated eye exam in which drops are put into the eyes.”

Dr. Layman adds that on many occasions, other health-threatening conditions may be discovered during an eye exam. “We can uncover unique signs that may even save someone’s life. The effects of high blood pressure, anemia and elevated blood cholesterol can be seen during a dilated eye exam because the eye is the only place within the body that blood vessels can be seen in their natural state. For this very reason, Leonardo DaVinci often referred to the eye as the “window to the body.”

According to Michael Duenas, O.D. and health scientist at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Division of Diabetes Translation, “patients suffering from diabetic retinopathy may not notice any changes in their vision, especially during the early treatable stages of the disease, this fact emphasizes the importance of all individuals with diabetes having yearly dilated eye examinations by an optometrist or ophthalmologist”.

“Affordability, continuity, and regular sources of care, as well as physician advice remain core factors significantly associated with receiving this needed care” said Dr. Duenas. “There is an obvious disconnect between adults’ knowledge and their actions when it comes to comprehensive eye exams,” said Dr. Layman. He adds, “This is very unfortunate considering that 12,000 to 24,000 people unnecessarily lose their vision yearly because of diabetes complications that can often be prevented through early detection and timely treatment.”

Key facts about diabetes:

More than 21 million people in the United States have diabetes.
6.2 million people with diabetes are unaware they have the disease.
An estimated 54 million Americans aged 40 to 74 (40.1 percent of the U.S. population in this age group) have prediabetes a condition that puts them at high risk for developing type 2 diabetes.
Diabetes is the leading cause of new cases of blindness among adults ages 20 to 74.
People with diabetes are 40 percent more likely to develop glaucoma.
People with diabetes are 60 percent more likely to develop cataracts.

CouponJack, thanks for bringing this up. You are doing a service to the readers of this forum!

Old 08-18-2010, 06:42 AM

330 posts, read 1,036,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Are you at all concerned about the effect of all that protein on your kidneys? And what about the higher cholestoral levels and the effects on your heart?

I know people who have lost a lot of weight with the kind of diet you are eating, but personally, I just don't like meat enough to be able to do that.
My protein isn't that high at all. I guess I should have been more specific regarding portion sizes, but the vast majority of my calories come from fat. Only about 15% from protein.

The lipid hypothesis is a myth. High cholesterol levels do not lead to heart disease.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:55 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,585 times
Quote:
My protein isn't that high at all. I guess I should have been more specific regarding portion sizes, but the vast majority of my calories come from fat. Only about 15% from protein.

The lipid hypothesis is a myth. High cholesterol levels do not lead to heart disease.
I've read this as well about cholesterol. It's another drug company scare tactic. I would definitely worry about a lack of vitamins though when limiting fruits and veggies so much. You get a good amount of vitamins A and C from the collards, but if you didn't have them you'd be seriously low. There's not a lot of potassium in any of those either, and potassium is extremely important in keeping your body balanced. Avocado is a fantastic source of potassium as are peanuts and some tree nuts.

I imagine you eat eggs as well - or at least I would hope you do. I've been told that if you eat an egg with an orange (or some other source of high vitamin C) you have eaten a perfectly balanced meal.

When you were fashioning your diet (before going hardcore), did you try eating a protein every time you ate a carb? That's what I do and it seems to make a huge difference. Sometimes it's hard to figure out how to combine things, but if I can't figure it out then I don't eat, and it has saved me from snacking!

Old 08-18-2010, 09:04 AM

81 posts, read 238,567 times
One other comment since this thread got into health and nutrition in regards to diabetes.

My wife and I and many of our friends over the years have gone through a program called Body For Life.Body-for-LIFE. I am not advising that everyone needs to be some buff person like the website will show, but the premise behind the program is what works. (They have contests for 90 days at a time so they post the winners before and after pictures on the website)

Essentially, you eat smaller meals throughout the day with portions no bigger than your fist. Your 3 regular meals of breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as a mid-morning, mid afternoon and evening snack. This way, you keep your metabolism more steady and you never come to the table famished with the result of overeating. For those that do not like meats, there are other substitutes for the proteins. (see How to create a Body-for-LIFE meal to understand how to eat) There is a book called Eating For Life with some great recipes. Yes, they sell supplements, etc, but my wife and I rarely used them because it was cost prohibitive.

The exercise program is combined of 3 days of some sort of cardio - walking, running, etc, and 3 days of weights - even if it is in your own home - you do not have to belong to a gym.

One day a week you get to do whatever you want, eat whatever, drink whatever. But what you find is that the stuff that used to appeal to you (i.e. the double bacon cheeseburger) is not as appealing.

You drink lots of water to stay hydrated and to continue to flush your system out. I used to always crave a coke or tea with meals and now I find myself craving fresh cold water. Strange I know.

Anyhow, take it for what it is worth. There is a whole online community of people in the same boat that do not feel good about how they look or feel and they encourage each other to stick with it. Once you go through the 90 days, the new healthy habits are formed.

I know I am beginning to sound like a sales pitch, but I have done it myself and watched many friends over the years that have been very pleased with the results. If one person goes through this or something similar and is happier for doing so, then it was worth my time to post it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes