Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 11:38 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,722,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I don't know how you can't help but lose weight in the summer. I've lost 10lbs this summer not even trying. It's too hot to eat!
The extra benefit of staying slim is that you don't have to keep the a/c as low in the summer as someone who has alot of extra pounds......thus, your a/c bills will be lower!

(not meant as a dig, just showing what an extra benefit will be.....)

good job....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 11:50 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Not all overweight people eat fried food (or eat a lot of food). However, as you have said, many overweight people are pre-diabetic. It is an awful disease made worse by this city's dependence upon cars and the overall inability to walk places.

This is something that really bothers me about Charlotte as well as the entire state. Actually it bothers me about many areas in the Southeast. The complete dependence on cars and even worse lack of walkable areas. Be it the lack of sidewalks in neighborhoods to walk to stores or adequate trails to walk on. So much of life seems to evolve around vehicles and not walking or exercising.

Im a diabetic and have been for much of my life. I take it very seriously as I never fit the usual criteria for the disease. Have never been overweight nor have I had a life of nothing but a bad diet. I have been into athletics and exercise my entire life. My problem has been genetics. Both my Parents and grandmothers were all diabetics. Thats life fo some and you deal with it. I walk everywhere and also take transit, but I do not want to live or retire here in Oregon. I would like to live on the East Coast without the exteme winters of the Northeast.

I try to find places in NC and the southeast to retire but the overtones of lacking in walkable areas and even sufficient facilities to exercise overwhelms me. I could not bear to retire to a state with that limits a persons ability to get up and get going. I handle my Diabetes very well and exercise is a big part of my success with the disease. It seems some of the states in America are much more difficult for a Diabetic than others

How do Diabetics in Chalotte handle thier Diabetes in regards to what the abovementioned posted mentioned? Life seems to evolve around vehicles and not walking.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:10 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,684,765 times
Ah, here is a must see (and entertaining) video from UCSF called Sugar: The Bitter Truth. It’s on the ills of refined sugar, especially that of high fructose corn syrup, and it’s role in obesity and diabetes:

YouTube - Sugar: The Bitter Truth

Old 09-11-2010, 08:41 PM

My labs are very good and for what it’s worth, here is a sample of what I typically eat in the course of a week. This works for me. I sometimes cheat, but this is basically it:
1. Berries, especially blueberries, raspberries and strawberries.
2. Apples
3. Lots of green leafy veggies lightly steamed or in a salad.
4. Nuts, nuts, nuts and more nuts; unsalted and daily.
5. Pumpkin and sunflower seeds.
5. Salmon a few times each week.
6. Eggs a few times weekly.
7. Soy milk.
8. Tofu, scrambled with veggies and spices, or added to my salads.
9. Beans and brown rice.
10. Small portions of dried fruits.
I also use olive oil on my veggies after they have been steamed. I use soy milk (Unsweetened Silk brand) in my coffee (my major vice) and add Stevia (Now brand) for sweetening and dark cacao powder ( for taste and
nutritional benefits).
Additionally, I sometimes have green tea. It’s good for you, so I should have it more often. Finally, I read ALL labels and do not consume HFC.

PS
I know about the potential interplay of genetics in disease, and my extended family has got it ALL (several people have multiple major problems) , so that is an added incentive for me to watch what I eat. I also exercise.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:40 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,155,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
My labs are very good and for what it’s worth, here is a sample of what I typically eat in the course of a week. This works for me. I sometimes cheat, but this is basically it:
1. Berries, especially blueberries, raspberries and strawberries.
2. Apples
3. Lots of green leafy veggies lightly steamed or in a salad.
4. Nuts, nuts, nuts and more nuts; unsalted and daily.
5. Pumpkin and sunflower seeds.
5. Salmon a few times each week.
6. Eggs a few times weekly.
7. Soy milk.
8. Tofu, scrambled with veggies and spices, or added to my salads.
9. Beans and brown rice.
10. Small portions of dried fruits.
I also use olive oil on my veggies after they have been steamed. I use soy milk (Unsweetened Silk brand) in my coffee (my major vice) and add Stevia (Now brand) for sweetening and dark cacao powder ( for taste and
nutritional benefits).
Additionally, I sometimes have green tea. It’s good for you, so I should have it more often. Finally, I read ALL labels and do not consume HFC.

PS
I know about the potential interplay of genetics in disease, and my extended family has got it ALL (several people have multiple major problems) , so that is an added incentive for me to watch what I eat. I also exercise.
Where is the burger and fries? Cmon ya gotta have a burger and fries at least once a week with a milkshake or yer not livin..

Old 09-11-2010, 11:32 PM

Where is the burger and fries? Cmon ya gotta have a burger and fries at least once a week with a milkshake or yer not livin..

HA! I sometimes cheat. I really, really do indulge at times!

Old 09-12-2010, 08:35 AM
cfr

152 posts, read 373,804 times
OMG , thank you for the u tube info. I didn't realize how BAD HFCS was and the chain reaction it causes.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:19 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,155,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post

HA! I sometimes cheat. I really, really do indulge at times!
I was kidding kind of, but if you think about it, its really moderation that counts..eat a bad meal, follow it up with a good one. Hey, how come no Tuna?

Old 09-12-2010, 12:16 PM

I was kidding kind of,

I know; I was just being silly. I occasionally have tuna, it’s just that I like the taste of salmon better. Also, I take-out tasty veggie meals from a few local favorite restaurants. I use supplements as well, and my favorites are Gary Null’s Green Stuff ( dried veggies) and Red Stuff (dried red fruits). Some health food stores, mainly the Vitamin Shoppe, carry the Green Stuff, but you can get both online at garynull.com. They’re expensive, but ultimately well worth the cost.

its really moderation that counts..eat a bad meal, follow it up with a good one.

To each his own, but I personally think this philosophy of moderation gets a lot of people into trouble because they unintentionally overdo it with the bad stuff when, ideally, it should only be an occasional indulgence.

When I think about it, there is no way that I want to eat equal portions of harmful and healthful meals because the effects of the bad stuff will undo the good.

Eating the bad stuff on a daily basis leads to obesity, hypertension, hardened arteries, etc. Why expect a few good meals thrown in-between to undo the damage?

If you haven’t already seen this video, Sugar: The Bitter Truth, I would highly recommend that you watch it because it is a real eye-opener
(HFC is in so many processed foods and it really helps to destroy one’s health):

YouTube - Sugar: The Bitter Truth

Last edited by pacific2; 09-12-2010 at 12:53 PM..

Old 09-12-2010, 01:17 PM

its really moderation that counts..eat a bad meal, follow it up with a good one.

Here is another way to look at moderation. Nobody really gets upset and things function smoothly if we perform well on most days at our job, but occasionally have a downer day (due to illness, blahs, fatigue, etc.).

However, we can try alternating good performances with an equal number of downer days and see how long we last. We don’t, as the “system,” our promise of reliability and productivity, breaks down and cannot be rehabilitated by doing a few good things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes