U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 04-03-2012, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
1,839 posts, read 1,098,946 times
Reputation: 2160
Beans are really bad for you? Even a small amount, like 1/4 cup? What if you add some protein to the mix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 04-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Status: "Nations rise and Nations fall...Rip USA." (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: spoKOMPTON
7,203 posts, read 4,145,648 times
Reputation: 3596
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Beans are really bad for you? Even a small amount, like 1/4 cup? What if you add some protein to the mix?

Go buy the meter, if it is a food that spikes your BS....then it is BAD...avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-04-2012, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
1,839 posts, read 1,098,946 times
Reputation: 2160
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Go buy the meter, if it is a food that spikes your BS....then it is BAD...avoid.

Check...10-4...got it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-05-2012, 01:26 AM
 
Location: Oakland CA
6,659 posts, read 8,606,692 times
Reputation: 6449
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Go buy the meter, if it is a food that spikes your BS....then it is BAD...avoid.
Or eat WAY less. If I loved beans (and beans do spike me) I just couldn't give them up. I'd eat a spoonful and train myself to be satisfied with that.

With the exception of onions which make me violently ill, I refuse to ban foods from myself. If that means I take four days to eat a donut because I cut it in four pieces and freeze it to keep it fresher... then it takes me that long. But I will eat that donut. IN PORTIONS.

And it seems to be working for me. My weight is dropping slowly, and my blood sugar usually is nicely under 120 (hitting the 110 watermark) and my A1C is down to 6.2. It was nearly 7 not too long ago, after I had a bad year after losing my mother and went through a period of I don't give a crap, I will eat chocolate and potato chips. And cookies and cake.

I generally eat healthy, but I do have a little dessert daily. It may be a simple piece of chocolate, but I need my sweetie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-05-2012, 06:15 AM
 
Location: Sugar Land, TX
4,626 posts, read 7,825,373 times
Reputation: 2927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Or eat WAY less. If I loved beans (and beans do spike me) I just couldn't give them up. I'd eat a spoonful and train myself to be satisfied with that.

With the exception of onions which make me violently ill, I refuse to ban foods from myself. If that means I take four days to eat a donut because I cut it in four pieces and freeze it to keep it fresher... then it takes me that long. But I will eat that donut. IN PORTIONS.

And it seems to be working for me. My weight is dropping slowly, and my blood sugar usually is nicely under 120 (hitting the 110 watermark) and my A1C is down to 6.2. It was nearly 7 not too long ago, after I had a bad year after losing my mother and went through a period of I don't give a crap, I will eat chocolate and potato chips. And cookies and cake.

I generally eat healthy, but I do have a little dessert daily. It may be a simple piece of chocolate, but I need my sweetie.
I love this idea. I haven't tried foods like donuts in tiny portions. I am not sure whether it will feel like torture to eat 1/4 of a donut, but I plan to try and see what that does to my blood sugar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-05-2012, 09:30 AM
 
Location: Northern Virginia
1,839 posts, read 1,098,946 times
Reputation: 2160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Or eat WAY less. If I loved beans (and beans do spike me) I just couldn't give them up. I'd eat a spoonful and train myself to be satisfied with that.

With the exception of onions which make me violently ill, I refuse to ban foods from myself. If that means I take four days to eat a donut because I cut it in four pieces and freeze it to keep it fresher... then it takes me that long. But I will eat that donut. IN PORTIONS.

And it seems to be working for me. My weight is dropping slowly, and my blood sugar usually is nicely under 120 (hitting the 110 watermark) and my A1C is down to 6.2. It was nearly 7 not too long ago, after I had a bad year after losing my mother and went through a period of I don't give a crap, I will eat chocolate and potato chips. And cookies and cake.

I generally eat healthy, but I do have a little dessert daily. It may be a simple piece of chocolate, but I need my sweetie.

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you and am going to try this. I am on my way to get a meter and start the process of what works, what doesn't.

I know I eat good food but I eat too much of it... like many I imagine. I do like sweets as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:28 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top