Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 12:00 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,664,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Did I read correctly "Synthroid for diabetes?" Never heard of that. If someone is hypothyroid, that could add to weight gain, but Synthroid is for the hypothyroid.
I know this is an old thread but wanted to add:

It isn't the Synthroid that lowers cholesterol but getting the tyroid to it through the use of thyroid meds. My cholesterol numbers drops 20 points just after a few weeks on Synthroid. Your thyroid controls liver, heart, and much more so the better it functions the better off you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 01:16 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,820,739 times
I was told to take a statin to lower my cholesterol and especially my triglycerides. I refused to take it due to all the anti-statin conspiracy theories I read. That was a mistake because I ended up having a heart attack a couple years ago.

They said the heart attack was diabetes related (my blood sugar was through the roof at the time). In fact the heart attack was how I discovered I had diabetes to begin with. Still I wonder if I would have been taking statins like my doctor told me to if I could have avoided the heart attack?

Ever since the heart attack I have taken a statin everyday. Not only has it kept my cholesterol levels in a healthy range I have had no side effects whatsoever which all the more makes me wish I was taking it earlier.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:59 AM

64 posts, read 376,514 times
UPDATE:::

I just had to be Hospitalized to have a Cardiac Catheterization and 3 Stents inserted. I was shocked. My labwork results over the past year have been acceptable. However, having Coronary Artery Disease and Diabetes is not a good situation
to be in. I have finally decided to take drastic action regarding my Diet ---- a friend of mine gave me the book "The End of Diabetes" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, M.D. It's an incredible book, and I have learned a lot, but more importantly have put into
practice a new way of eating. My daily glucose numbers have dropped and my need for Insulin has decreased. I wish I had put the diet practices into effect a year ago.

I'm not sure what my health outcomes will be. Right now I'm petrified. Having had Double bypass surgery, and now have 3 Stents. I really have to take control of my health and my Diet. So far, I'm doing well.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:47 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,472,223 times
@PugDaddyNJ I don't know you're diabetic situation. I was well on my way towards major complications. My A1C kept going up. I ended up at a 7.3 (the highest I have ever been). None of my doctors ever offered a single bit of advice regarding diet. Diet is THE MOST determining factor in the management of diabetes and it's complications. I then went on ketogenic diet (also called LCHF) diet. My numbers dropped dramatically. I am now at a 5.8 (120 mg/dl) in just 3 months. This for me is not a diet but a lifestyle change. I cut out ALL grains and reduced carb intake dramatically. My triglycerides went form 383 to 124. My cholesterol dropped way down as well although I am taking statins anyway. I am not familiar with the book you mentioned but I will look into it. I HIGHLY recommend this book to all diabetics "Dr. Bernstein s Diabetes Solution - A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars" In a nutshell what he says is that carbs are the cause of obesity and many health problems, not fat as most people think. He debunks many myths and backs it up with proof. Carbohydrates from many foods will raise your blood sugar just as much as sugar itself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_K._Bernstein

He also has a youtube channel.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:31 AM

I apparently cannot edit my previous post so here is a link to page that gives you some testimonials on Dr. Bernstein's program

Testimonials - Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. Official Web Site

I highly recommend it to all diabetics.

Old 07-14-2015, 11:39 AM

As an R.N., I would never recommend a Ketogenic Diet. The Diet I have recently initiated is based on the books
by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, MD. - The one book I do own is "The End of Diabetes", and it is a truly wonderful book.
I have incorporated all of the food items mentioned in the book, and have developed a new way of eating,
and as a result, my daily glucose numbers have been under 100 for weeks. My A1C of 6.5 in May will most
likely be even lower when I have my labwork redone in August.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:42 AM

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion BUT in the end one thing prevails over all for diabetics and that is your test meter. You must "Eat to your Meter". According to what I've read (and I've only read a little), Joel Fuhrman's theories lean towards a plant based diet. Up to 85% of your caloric intake from plants. A lot of his advice is right on with the veggies. As far as fruits go, the only problem is most fruits are very high in sugar and WILL raise your blood sugar. If you don't believe me take your reading, eat one banana or a cup of pineapple and test your BG after one hour. Then tell me that it's OK to eat all the fruit you want. Many vegetables are high in carbs as well. It's important to keep you BG as low as possible and under 140 at all times to prevent long term organ damage. This is unattainable for most type 2 diabetics without medication, insulin or both. I won't even go into the situation with type 1's. They are different, their bodies produce no insulin whatsoever. I will stick with Dr Bernstein's theories. He is a type 1 diabetic himself, is 81 years old and has had his disease (diagnosed) since 1946. His claim is that he has not eaten fruit in 40 years. I personally love fruit and still "cheat" some with berries and small amounts of melon. I don't follow his guidelines to the letter. I will repeat, carbs are the enemy to diabetics. Simple or complex, carbohydrates are composed entirely of sugar and are not an essential nutrient to the humans (especially diabetics). Nobody knows everything about this disease and everyone is different. Most doctors are lacking in the care they provide for this disease. I will stop there and I don't profess to be an expert by any stretch. Again, read the book. It is cheap in electronic form. I bought my copy for $6 used on ebay.

Last edited by gguerra; 07-16-2015 at 08:52 AM..

Old 07-16-2015, 10:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PugDaddyNJ View Post
by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, MD. - The one book I do own is "The End of Diabetes", and it is a truly wonderful book.
Definitely a good book to use if you want to get rid of taking diabetic medications including Statins.Unfortunately for me i find i cant sustain a vegan diet,i last a few weeks then start cheating after about a month i'm back on my usual diet which isnt that bad but it wont rid me of the need to take my diabetic medications..

Last edited by jambo101; 07-16-2015 at 10:17 AM..

Old 09-19-2015, 03:29 AM

Well, I have found Dr. Fuhrman's book to be a life-saver for me. My numbers dropped drastically.
My A1C is now a 6.2. This is the lowest it has ever been since I was diagnosed with Diabetes 7-years ago. My Daily Glucose Numbers have been in the 80s and 90s, and I have not had to take
Lantus Insulin in months. I feel good. I have no problems with Dr. Fuhrman's approach or his
dietary recommendations. I am not a big fruit eater - I will eat blueberries, but that is all I will eat.
I would not call Dr. Fuhrman's approach "Vegan" or "Vegetarian". He does recommend lean protein twice per week, including Chicken or Fish. I will take a look at Dr. Bernstein's book for sure. Thank you for the recommendation. But for right now, I am doing well, and continue to lose weight. But you are correct, Carbs are a big problem, and I know now the damage they can do to me and my Diabetes and daily Glucose numbers. As long as I stick to my diet, I am doing well and my numbers prove it. Keep me posted and I will for sure take a look at Dr. Bernstein's book and report back here.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:27 AM

350 posts, read 415,827 times
I know that this is an old post but has anyone found that their blood glucose level spikes when taking a statin like lipitor? Studies have shown that statins can give people diabetes. What does it do to people that already have diabetes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes