Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 08:11 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times

Advertisements

since July 3rd I've been on one or another kind of antibiotic, some oral, some IV during two weeks in the hospital and now 5 weeks at home with central line. In the hospital they said I had cellulitis. I saw orth people, infection disease people. endo people, cardiologist people and 3 times I asked for podiatrist and was told "OH we've got you covered with all these departments". Finally went to podiatrist myself and he came up with the diagnosis. Seems like charcot can look like cellulitis and since there was no break in my skin somebody should have figured it out. But podiatrists are kind of the ugly step sister in the medical world and many think all they do is trim toenails. I'm furious I didn't insist on seeing him while in the hospital.
Just hope I can save this foot. very scared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 08:40 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,866,126 times
I know someone on another forum who is recovering from Charcot foot. She had to wear a specially made boot that holds her foot at the right angle for 10 months, but she's recovering now. She mentioned in a post that there's a facebook group for Charcot foot. https://www.facebook.com/groups/Charcot/ I don't know if that would be helpful to you at this stage or if it would stress you out more, but it's there if you think it would help.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:16 PM

Hanks hedgeho mom. I just spent l hour at that site. scary stuff.

the surgery went fine but the ankle block while still awake was torture. i won't have results till tuesday when i see him again. I sure do like whatever they used to put me in "twilight" best sleep i've had in months.

Old 09-03-2015, 01:08 AM

I've had a nerve block done on my leg while I was awake and that was not fun either.

Sorry for the scary stuff.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:13 AM

It's Charcot. Basically a broken big toe a few years ago put pressure on down the line and caused more fractures and my bones are disintegrating. I'm on order for a bone stimulator which may or may not work and must wear a huge clunky boot for at least a year. I have 2 thirteen year old daughter, and to me this looks like prison and misery. At least , for now, he thinks he can save my foot which is something to be grateful for but dang...this is depressing.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:37 AM

50,353 posts, read 63,939,201 times
OMG, I hope everything takes a turn for the better, quick. Sending you healing thoughts. Let the girls help you more.

Old 11-20-2015, 11:10 AM

350 posts, read 415,827 times
Hope things are going better for you now. Try to stay off your foot as much as possible and use whatever tools available to do so. My husband had foot surgery and got a knee scooter that allowed him to be mobile and stay off his foot.
Here's an example. Drive Medical DV8 Aluminum Steerable Knee Walker Crutch Alternative

Old 11-20-2015, 11:36 AM

Thank you. The CROW Boot is a pita but doing the job. The unevenness between my two feet is causing some hip and back pain. Doc said he could fit my other shoe with a removable lift but i only wear house slippers in the house and regular sports shoes are not too much difference in height.
The shower is scary as I have balance issues and ankle is weak.
The girls are doing better with helping. Mensa engineer husband becomes a drooling imbecile in the kitchen but in all other ways he is terrific.
We'll get by.'
Xrays show some improvement. Hope to get a bone simulator in a few weeks when Medicare will foot the bill. Pardon the pun!

Old 12-03-2015, 06:17 PM

Went for monthly x ray and doctor visit and doc said I was doing so well I am now ready to order custom shoe! I almost fell off the chair as I had been told I had to wear CROW boot for a year. A pleasant surprise as most Charcot patients do wear CROW boot for at least a year. I'll wait till after Christmas to actually have the shoes as it takes 4-5 weeks to special order. I sure won't miss my Frankenstein boot!

Old 12-03-2015, 09:01 PM

I'm so glad you're doing better already!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes